“Just Okay!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area

Save Saved
You added Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area to your Saves list
Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   179 Sheraton Dr., Salem, VA 24153 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Ranked #14 of 14 hotels in Salem
Smiths Falls, Canada
“Just Okay!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night while driving on I-81. This hotel is in the coupon book found at rest centers. The lobby and eating area looked like it had been recently remodeled. Check in was fast. However our room was quite outdated and needed to be refreshed. The couch and rug looked quite worn, the bedding was adequate. The bed mattress was fine. I mentioned to the front desk that our room needed to be updated and asked about others that might be better. Nothing was readily offered so decided not to push this as we weren't going to be staying in the room that long. There was no heat on in the room and it took a long time to warm up. Breakfast was just okay. I have had much better at affiliated hotels. There appeared to be no staff person in charge of this. The coffee pot was empty but there was one just outside the breakfast room which had coffee. The pet charge of $15 seemed a bit high compared to other hotels in the Comfort Chain that usually charge $10. One other note, there appeared to be very few people staying here. We would definitely not return to this hotel when driving through on our way home. There are numerous better hotels off I-81 that are in the coupon book.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sunrise, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Drove all day across Highways 66 and 81, east to west, and were tired when we arrived. After checking out two other places that were severely overpriced, we ended up here as a sort of last resort (pun intended). Check in was easy and the room was warm and comfortable, with a sliding glass door to the outside, which made it easy to unload the SUV, without going through the lobby and using the luggage cart. I got the impression that there were renovations due in the near future but they weren't happening that night. Since the facility is located up a hill and in back of a gas station/motel complex, it was a little difficult to physically locate it, but we did. The overnight stay was fine and we used the laundry facilities the next day. Those were suitable but limited to only one washer and one dryer. Between the three of us each needing to wash a load of clothes, it took a while to get everything washed and dried. We missed the checkout time but okayed it with the front desk, which had no problem with us doing that. Housekeeping in the hallways and common areas could have been better. Perhaps they're working on that as you read this. Perhaps not. Breakfast was the usual menu of motel buffet food and we mostly passed on eating a lot. So, yeah, it was kind of dingy but we weren't arguing because we were so tired out. Beds and the room were good. Probably wouldn't go back, but probably wouldn't be out that way again any time soon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This motel had character and excellent service. After reading some of the negative reviews, I couldn't disagree more. My wife and I were impressed with the staff's service attitude and their willingness to go the extra mile to fulfill reasonable requests.

The facility was obviously going through a transition with their remodeling so some consideration is due.

We are definitely going to stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Leola, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Let me start out by saying the lobby and the breakfast room are in great shape. The check-in staff were courteous and the breakfast room staff did a great job with adequate food and the counter was clean. Now to the room: As I was sitting on the pot I looked up in the left hand corner and saw what I thought was spider dirt and webs. On closer inspection I tried to clean it but had no scouring powder. The dark wine color drapes had so much dust on the top five inches.No problems with the rest of the room. I also noticed that the hallway rug looks like it was cleaned with a sweeper that needs to be cleaned. It is quite obvious that this particular sweeper needs some tender loving cleaning for it to perform.( I believe the staff and manager are completely unaware that equipment needs to be maintained) Yes I saw the sweeper out in the hall. And please once in awhile clean behind the furniture.

Room Tip: Our friends saw cobwebs in the corners of their room and between the beds there was white powder. It...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
washington dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011 via mobile

We only stayed here because every hotel near Blacksburg was sold out. This was the only property available. The three hotels next door to this place were also sold out. I knew this place had to be a dump. Upon check in, my suspicions were confirmed.
The lady at the front desk was a bit rude and had an attitude. Needless to say, I was not surprised. We entered our room, only to discover the owners had not invested a light bulb in the room since it was built. We found a dirt towel in the bathroom which looked like it had bodily fluids on it. We were completely grossed out. The bed and comforter were also disgusting. The carpeting looked 100 years old.
Zero water pressure in the bathroom sink and the bathtub was completely clogged.
I didn't complain to management because it wasn't worth it for the rate I paid and I was only their 1 night.
Use your better judgement and find another place.. You'll thank me!

• Stayed October 2011
Mount Sterling, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

when we first opened our door smoke nearly choked us out, we found a razor blade in our toilet and countless bugs in and under the bed. The sad thing is, this was not the only room in this condition, another room our friends where rooming in was locked from the inside, after the service man opened the door, there was beer all over the place and the beds where torn up, avoid this place at all cost, it seriously needs to be shut down!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Only reason I give this 2 stars instead of one is the staff was amazing!! What a shame the hotel is run down and needs an extreme makeover!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Knights Inn Salem Roanoke Area? Share your experiences!