“Nice local restaurant..!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 36 restaurants in Rocky Mount
“Nice local restaurant..!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner at Ippys. It was very good. The waiter was awesome!! The food was very good. The prices are the same as if you went to Outback or Lone Star. The steak was excellent. My husband had the surf and turf and he enjoyed it. If you are in the area check out Ippy's.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Roanoke, Virginia
“Best Steaks around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've been to steak places all over the US. Even Ruth's Chris cannot compare to the taste of a steak at Ippy's. If you come for seafood, I can't speak to that, although I once had the shrimp scampi (JoDee's) and it was also awesome. But the steak is the reason to go. The only suggestion I'd make is to serve a non-starchy vegetable like broccoli, asparagus, or even green beans. When I'm eating low-carb, there is no option here.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, VA
“Small Town, Big Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Ippy's was recommended to us when we first moved down to Smith Mountain Lake about 3 years ago from the metropolitan area of D.C. Other than driving to Roanoke or Lynchburg, each about an hour away, Rocky Mount, Va is the closest town to us. We've been back to Ippy's many times now, and it's our favorite place to take company for a nice dinner. There are several restaurants at the Lake, some very nice, but Ippy's offers a much wider menu than any of them.
Their steaks are as good as any you'll get at an Outback or other chain steak place. Their seafood is good, especially the fried shrimp (this is the South, and everything fried is pretty fine). We enjoyed their baby back ribs the other night -- very meaty on the bone, and with a smokey taste and a sweet sauce was just about perfect.
There is a smoking area in the separate bar area, but we only detected the faintest trace of smoke smell as we walked by the closed door, and did not smell it again. Several of our party a few weeks ago are very sensitive to smoke and no complaints from any of them.
We have never had to wait, even on a busy Friday or Saturday night. Reservations for larger parties is probably a good idea, though.
If you are in the area, try this restaurant for a comfortable, small town atmosphere, with a big restaurant menu.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jamestown, NC
“Average fare for pricey menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Being that there are not many choices for what might be considered an above-average restaurant in Rocky Mount we tried Ippy's for our anniversary dinner. The full parking lot gave us the impression that it was a popular locale. We were seated quickly and greeted by our server almost immediately. The menu was not overly extensive which likely helped the kitchen get the food out quickly, which it did. Other than the slightly pricey entree prices my only real complaint about the menu was the lack of vegetable options with dinner. The only vegetable sides available with dinner, other than the salad, we're starch (potatoes, rice or onion rings). The fried oyster dinner came with a dozen oysters and were cooked perfectly. Often times a breaded seafood is salty, but these were not. My wife ordered the broiled grouper (supposedly broiled with garlic butter) but, disappointedly, found it to be quite salty. It appeared to me that Ippy's is more well known for its steaks as we saw many very good looking and great smelling steaks come by our table. All in all I would say its worth at least one try for the diner to decide. If Ippy's reads these reviews - please add more vegetable options for your entree sides.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Woolwine, Virginia
“Not so sure what gives Ippy's such a good name...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Having grown up in a nearby small town, I've been aware of Ippy's existence for most of my life. Its reputation for a good food, good service, and a nicer environment has always circulated.

The first time I actually ate at Ippy's was for a family birthday dinner-- I looked forward to being a part of the 8-person celebration. I found the menu had a broader variety with a steak-house feel, and I expected the food to be delicious. The appetizes we shared were good, and our entrees were cooked as we ordered, however, the quality & presentation of the product did not correlate the higher prices. Four of us ended up checking out the "lounge" after dinner and I can say that it's a good-ol' honky-tonk with a jukebox in the corner. While we had a good time getting rowdy, I was still amazed at how much the atmospheres of restaurant and lounge differed.

Since then, I've returned to Ippy's a few times sheerly because there aren't many other options in Franklin County, VA. Each time I return, I vow not to come back, and I think I may have reached the limit with my last visit: We waited at the door for a good 10 minutes to be seated, then waited at our table for another 10 minutes to be greeted by our server. The other wait-staff working the room failed to even acknowledge our presence as they walked by our table. Our server was nervous & obviously new-- he took our drink order & we offered an appetizer order at the same time. It took 8 minutes to get the drinks and he told us he'd be back to get our entrees, which of course we were ready to order then. He wrote them down quickly and then came back about 5 minutes later to tell us they were out of the wings that we ordered as appetizers. Rather than replace the order & wait longer, we asked him to just forget about the wings and bring our salads. The salads came with a basket of bread that was burned, we asked for new bread, it never came. When our entrees came out the presentation and quality once again failed to meet the pricing. We asked for a second round of drinks and they came when we were almost done with our entrees. Because we didn't get up right away when we were finished our entrees, the server paced around us though we were obviously enjoying conversation as we finished the drinks that came so late in our meal. He ended up presenting the check without asking us if we cared for dessert. The wings were still listed on the check, though we had not received them, and an extra drink was added as well. We asked him to correct the check, which took another 10 minutes. As we sat there waiting, we noticed that tables around us had sat dirty for the duration of our dining experience and that no one in particular was working very hard. The overall experience left a bad taste in my mouth & I can no longer recommend giving Ippy's a shot.

I just dont think it's worth "hoping to catch them on a good day" anymore. Ippy's just isn't worth it.

• Visited August 2012