You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rocky Mount
virginia
“Uh oh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We stay at HIE all over the place. Yes, we have come to expect that some properties are better or worse than others. This location is one of the low to middle HIEs. Mattress was okay but the sheets/duvet were quite worn. The pillows were nothing more than a case filled with torn up foam (big yuck). The worst was long hair strands (not mine) were found on one of the pillows and a pubie hair on a clean towel (dbl tuck). The check in clerk was pleasant but overwhelmed as she was very much by herself. Room not ready until 4:00. But a small town like Rocky Mount can only offer but so much and this is probably the best in town.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your suggestions and comments regarding your most recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount, Virginia.

After reviewing your comments regarding the cleanliness of the pillow and towel condition. These two areas will be the main topic for our housekeeping meeting this week. We do continue to purchase new sheets and duvets on a routine basis to remove the old.

I am happy to hear that our front desk staff member was pleasant. At times it can get very hectic at the front desk with check-in’s, helping other guests needs etc. I am not sure of the night that you stayed with us but there are times rooms are not ready until later in the day because of a possible high occupancy the night before.

Finally I am happy to see that Holiday Inn Express Hotels are your preferred lodging needs. If your travel needs takes you back to the Rocky Mount, Virginia area I hope that you will try us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here a couple of nights ago, my previous stay was a few years before. The place shows a bit of age but still retains a typical HIE feel. The beds are very comfortable with a nice choice of pillows to use. It's located directly across the street from Wendys and Applebees. The AAA rate seems a tad high for the age of the property but I believe that has something to do with so few competition hotels in the area.

The breakfast is pretty good for hotel fare. There were more items than typically found at a free breakfast. The pancake machine is pretty darn cool and cooks up some tasty stuff!

Overall I was happy with my stay and will visit again when in the area for work.

• Stayed August 2012
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for your most recent return visit and comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Rocky Mount, Virginia. The hotel is only 6 years old and we feel it is a little too early to start a renovation program.\
You are so correct that the beds are comfortable. We get many positive comments regarding our bedding selection and yes the pancake machine does make some pretty good pancakes.

Regarding the AAA rating, We get an annual quality inspection from AAA and that is how the hotel is rating. There scoring system is specifically on condition and cleanliness. From my understanding of AAA, limited hotels in a specific area does not generate different scores.

Again, thanks for the comments and we will see you when your work brings you back to the Rocky Mount, Virginia area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

For $85 a night, it wasn't bad. The rooms do need some upgrading but the hotel staff was very nice and took care of any questions or concerns we had. The beds were a little hard and took some getting used to. If I were in the area again, I would stay here.

Room Tip: Get a suite. I don't think they cost much more but have a ton of extra space. I did not get one...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments you posted regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Rocky Mount, Virginia. Yes, I would have to say we have a very good value at the room rate you received. Our hotel is only 6 years old and we feel it is a little too early to start a renovation program. Regarding the comfort of the bed, every guest has a certain type of bed they like, I am truly sorry that we did not meet those needs with you. Overall we get excellent comments regarding our bedding, the beds that we have at the hotel come from one of the preferred vendors of Intercontinental Hotels Group.

Finally I am so proud that our staff was able to answer any questions or concerns you had during your stay and that you come back to stay with us if you ever in the Rocky Mount, Virginia area.
Kingsport, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel while visiting Smith Mtn Lake. I have stayed here many times of the last few years and very little has changed including all room decor, furniture, etc. The beds are worn out and sag badly after a few hours. You basically climb out of a hole in the morning. Breakfast is okay, but they constantly run out of items that could be easily pick up at the Kroger across the street if the management would allow them to do so. Fruit is rarely available and is not restocked until "the truck" makes its run. Room seemed to be cleaner during this visit. I will most likely stay here again only because there is no where else, no other choices. Not my favorite place to stay by any means and the rooms need to be stripped and refurnished. Get on the stick owners. Work out area was good with 2 tread mills, an elipical and bicycle.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 127, it is right next to the door to the pool and workout area. It is very no...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
First of all thank you for expressing your feelings and thoughts about our Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount/Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia.

I went back and read your comments from a year ago that you had posted on Tripadvisor as well. Our hotel is only 6 years old and we feel that the hotel is not ready for an entire renovation yet. We get many compliments regarding the comfort of beds that we use. In fact we use this same bed at our other hotels that we own and operate. I know each person is very specific to the comfort of the bed. Since the hotel just turned 6 years old we will be starting to look at this issue.

I am glad to hear that your room was much cleaner on this trip then your prior one. We are working hard with our housekeeping staff to provide a clean and comfortable stay.

You are correct that there is limited lodging in the Rocky Mount , Virginia area. I do hope that you continue to stay with us to see the changes that we have and will be making in the future.
Chester, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed for a night while visiting college with teens. The nonsmoking room was large and clean. There was a noisy family with young kids across the hall, but we could not hear them while in our room. Linens were good quality. Beds very soft and comfy. Breakfast was above average with very good omelettes and ham; everything was fresh and plentiful. No problems. Will stay again. Also visited Smith Mountain Lake which is absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
I would personally like to thank you for your comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount, Virginia. You are so correct the rooms have plenty of space.

You are so correct on the comfort of the beds. We get so many positive comments about how comfortable our beds are. Breakfast at any Holiday Inn Express offers so many choices for both children and adults. I am glad the you thought our breakfast was above average.

If your future travels takes you through the Rocky Mount, Virginia area I hope to see you again.
Middletown, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for a business trip. I am a Priority Gold customer and seek out HEI whenever possible. This stay was very disappointing. The bathroom smelled of mildew, behind the nightstands had not been vacuumed in some time and the smell of smoke in the room and hallway was terrible. I would seek out other accommodations in this area next time. The bed was very comfortable and that is about the only positive. There seems to be a problem with the HVAC as the room always felt damp. Some renovation needs to be done here...

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount, Virginia. As I read your review I see that you are a loyal Priority Club member. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectation.

While you were staying at the hotel the area had an extreme heat index over 100 degrees. During the summer months we leave the air conditioners on in the guest rooms so when you enter your room it does not take hours to cool down. This maybe the reason that you felt the room as damp and possible smell of mildew. We have worked with our housekeeping department to make sure that we are deep cleaning our guest rooms and the proper amount of air freshener is being used.

Regarding the smoking issue. We have considered going to a non-smoking hotel but at this time we feel economically we cannot be done at this time. We continue to monitor the current conditions if we feel that we can convert to an all non-smoking hotel. Our smoking section is located on our top floor, all in one section.

You are correct that the bed is comfortable. We get comments all the time regarding the comfort of our bed.

Again I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectation and I hope we can regain your trust. Please do not hold your experience at our hotel stop you from using Holiday Inn Express hotels for your future lodging needs.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here for husbands family reunion. Overall hotel stay was good, but it would be more of a better experience if front desk representatives would take the time to listen and not seem rushful. They charged my credit card incorrectly which was an inconvenience. Wasn't able to upgrade, but happy nevertheless.I would stay ay this hotel again, great location.

• Stayed July 2012
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I hope you enjoyed your family reunion and that you chose our hotel to stay at. Thank you for the comment that you thought your staff and hotel was good except for the billing errors that occured at the front desk. I am glad that we were able to fix that issue right away. We will continue to work our staff to make sure this does not happen again and not to be so rushful.

I do hope to see you in the future if your plans bring you to the Rocky Mount, Virginia area.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake

Address: 395 Old Franklin Tpke, Rocky Mount, VA 24151
Location: United States > Virginia > Rocky Mount
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rocky Mount
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake 2.5*
Come enjoy the beautiful new Rocky Mount Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites located right off US 220 and Route 40. A 20 minute scenic drive will take you to the beautiful Smith Mountain Lake. We are located minutes from MW Windows, Carilion Franklin Memorial Hospital, and other area businesses. A short 30 minute drive down 220S will lead you to Martinsville and for the race fans the Martinsville Speedway. A 20 minute drive on 220N will lead you to Roanoke Virginia. Ferrum College is about 10 minutes away making us a perfect place to stay for a parents weekend or a visit to the college. Offering both standard rooms with a king or 2 queen beds and suites we are sure to have a room to please every traveler All rooms have hairdryers, iron/board, coffee makers, speakerphones w/voice mail and free high speed Internet access. Relax and unwind in our indoor pool, whirlpool or exercise room featuring Nautilus equipment. We take pride in our guest service and quality. When staying in Rocky Mount Virginia, stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites. We look forward to seeing you. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, BookIt.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake
Holiday Inn Rocky Mount
Rocky Mount Holiday Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake Virginia

If you own or manage Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.