“If you're in the area, check it out” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rocky Mount
Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast
185 Claiborne Ave, Rocky Mount, VA 24151   |
Monterey, California
“If you're in the area, check it out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I enjoyed my time at Shellie and Tony's home/B&B, and I recommend it. I know that (like some owners/managers) , they read reviews and comment, and I think that people can be intimidated by that. But for people reading this--I'm keeping it real.

My into to Rocky Mount itself wasn't fantastic--when trying to find the B&B--I saw a young woman being harassed/followed by a cluster of aggressive young men. She was high-tailing it down the street, and I pulled over and asked her if she was OK (I probably should have insisted on giving her a ride home, in retrospect). She said she was OK but... Anyway, when I arrived at Claiborne House, I was a little unsettled by that (I had gotten lost too, and Shellie was very patient with me).

Once I had arrived at the B&B, I felt more comfortable. True to the other reviews, Shellie and Tony are nice people. When I arrived, Tony said "oh!" when I confirmed it was "just me" and I was a bit surprised by his reaction actually--but (optimistically) perhaps my beauty + charm stunned him and he could not imagine why I didn't have an adoring suitor or two ;-) Heh. But seriously, single people travel too.

There was an incident where a pissed-off preppy woman showed up demanding a refund after a misunderstanding over a reservation. Shellie shouted at her "get out of my house!" which was probably warranted.

There is a rules list which I would have preferred seeing on the website. Profanity is not welcome. Drinking alcohol--also not so much. I can't recall the exact wording,I opened a bottle of wine on the deck and it wasn't an issue.

Food--as others have written, they are accommodating and I think that's great. I've been to B&Bs where they get offended if someone asks for a simple egg plus toast meal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
ClaiborneInnkeeper, Owner at Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for the nice review Emma Dash!

You were super sweet and accommodating after the crazy woman drove all the way here to scream at us and tell us we weren't where we said we were (since 1895). She was cussing up a storm, very aggressive and demanding her money back (which we never charged).

But that is water under the bridge, the police were nearly called, almost...and as I tell our guests, every once in a while a bad guest makes an appearance here, but thankfully not often! She was the ONE for 2012. The worst we had ever experienced, and I am so sorry you had to overhear all of it.

"Our rules" are tongue in cheek, and this is what it says on the room check in sheet (cut n pasted) I borrowed the verbiage from the Floyd Country Store 10 years ago, because I thought it was witty:

• Basic Guidelines: We operate on Granny’s Rules “No Cussin, No Drinkin’, No Smokin’.” If you enjoy smoking, please do so outdoors only near ponds (not on the porch). If you decide to smoke in the room, you will be charged a $300 fee to air and clean the room. Wine, Beer & light beverages – please drink responsibly. Glasses and wine opener in dining room near mini fridge, as well as snacks and sodas.

Happy Spring from VirgINNia, Shellie, Tony, Sierra & Raquel (and Junie B).

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is an interesting inn, with the same intimate style service and accommodations we have found in European cities; basic but very comfortable. If you are looking for over the top luxury, go elsewhere, but if you appreciate decent, clean and honest folks trying to provide you with a comfortable accommodation, this is perfect. The family is unobtrusive yet very helpful, if you need them, just ask and if not, well you get the sense you are perfectly alone and private. Breakfast is a key point of excellence as is the abundant hot water, attention to reading material and good lighting. Food allergies and preferences are effortlessly addressed and a good deal of care is taken to be certain you are comfortable and happy. I think it is one of the more pleasant experiences we have had in the VA inns, and I must say it is a worthwhile experience when you are in the Smith Mountain Lake area.

We were in the Blue Ridge room and the bath is an exceptionally large and comfortable space. Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ClaiborneInnkeeper, Owner at Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Anita this is so lovely, thank you!

After you both left, the snow fell and It covered the area softly and quietly and was magnificent! I wish you were able to enjoy it, but then driving home is not as fun on the slippery icy roads.

Come see us again, you were delightful guests!

Junie B says hey to your four legged fam in Richmond,

God bless,
Shellie, Tony, Sierra and Raquel
Jamestown, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I do not know why it took me so long to write this review. My wife and I spent our 21st anniversary there. Shellie and her family were extremely accomodating and super nice. We asked for vegetarian breakfasts that were prepared for us perfectly. When I asked for decaf coffee she made a pot just for me! The house is really cool; old hardwood floors (squeaks, creaks and all), vintage mouldings, interesting eclectic decor. The guests we met at breakfast were also very nice (a young couple on their honeymoon). I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys staying at B&B's. The only setback, and I am not degrading this review any less for it, was that they could have dusted a little better on lower portions of the furniture in the bedroom. I picked up a book from a shelf below a night stand and it was dusty. I would stay there again, however.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Jamestown NC guests for the review and kind remarks. We were thrilled to have you stay with us for your 21st anniversary!

It was really sweet to see the freshly-married-starry-eyed couple amble in to breakfast while you were here. Another treat being an innkeeper. We hope your stay helped to keep the flame burning brightly as well (we wives love that stuff!).

We agree with you about the dust, and we thank you for taking the time to write about it. Another drawback to having an old house dark furniture, and talcum powder users. So we try to keep "eclectic bric-a-brac" to a minimum. No excuses being made, dust is our enemy here at The Claiborne House! (We should search every bag upon entry for talc too!)

God bless, and may this be a spectacular year for you both!
Shellie, Tony & Girls
Pittsville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Claiborne House and greatly appreciated being accommodated on short notice. Shellie was very helpful in providing advice on where to go and what to see locally. The inn and surrounding grounds are superbly maintained. Particularly noteworthy was the cleanliness of our room and the public areas. Breakfast was great, particularly the Greek yogurt and fresh fruit mix!

Claiborne House would be a good choice for you business travelers too. It's near everything, but secluded enough to give you a break from the daily grind. Off-street parking and easy access is a plus.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ClaiborneInnkeeper, Owner at Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Our dear guests from Pittsville Virginia! Thank you so much for writing this review. What a treat to have you stay with us. Rocky Mount/Franklin County is a little unknown area, known mostly for it's likker! But we have the most amazing people find us and stay with us.

You know where we are, any time! The blessing is all ours.

Your innkeeper and family,
Shellie
Colonial Heights, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

What a wonderful experience we had at the Claiborne House! Shellie gave us a warm welcome which included cookies, brownies and fruit upon our arrival. Additionally she provided us with great tips on nearby sites of interest. Every nook and cranny was decorated with beautiful antiques; our room was delightful, including an electric fireplace. The breakfasts were delicious and filling, We departed feeling refreshed, relaxed and blessed. Truly this is a charming bed and breakfast. We will be certain to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

It is always wayyyy cool when a guest notices every nook and cranny. Another super fantastic couple, we have hit the jackpot this February! We hope you will be back in the Spring blooms, or even in the heat of summer when you can go for a swim or paddle at one of our lakes. These mountains burst full of life when Spring hits, it is a miracle, to be sure.

God bless you,
Shellie & Family

PS I am not sure if I was able to mention to you that my grandmother's maiden name is the same as your last name. Her folks came from Ohio and went West to San Diego CALF many moons ago.
Danville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I visited for our anniversary and could not have asked for a better experience. We spent two nights in the Wash House aka " The Love Shack " and it was everything we wanted. The room was immaculate and had everything we needed. The breakfasts each morning were excellent and enough for two people. Although we went in the wintertime and there was not much to see or do in Rocky Mount, we took a day trip to Roanoke ( about 20 minutes ) and will definitely be back when the weather is warmer to explore the parks and nearby trails. We were comfortable and well taken care of by our hosts for the entire weekend. A great value and a wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I don't even know what to say to this lovely review, other than THANK YOU! Your next visit we will have some greenery outside The Love Shack so you can innjoy your coffee and maybe even your breakfast out there. We deliver!

Take care and thank you for sharing a bit of yourselves with us, that is what makes this more than a business, and a special blessing to us!

God bless,
Shellie & Family
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband had arranged a surprise weekend for me and this is the place he picked for us to stay. Great job with the planning!!!! Claiborne House is tucked away in a tiny town with lovely views. The weather was perfect for morning porch sitting where I could ogle the scenery while sipping coffee before breakfast -- always scrumptious and well-prepared! All I could hear were the leaves rustling, the wind gently blowing and the birds singing. One morning I strolled through the beautiful cemetery just behind the B and B; taking in the scenery from up on the hill and enjoying the peacefulness of the place.

Claiborne House is a perfect spot for day trips to the surrounding countryside. We hiked each day and explored Roanoke. The Blue Ridge Parkway is really close by. We slept so peacefully and in great comfort! Plus, it is a pleasure to support a family owned business!

Three cheers for the Leete family!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ClaiborneInnkeeper, Owner at Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
"Ogling the scenery while innjoying coffee on the porch" my kind of guests! Please come back and ogle some more when the Spring buds are popping up all over the place...

God bless you both and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Shellie & Family, your innkeepers at The Claiborne House

Been to Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!