“Martinsville Speedway Fan” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Rocky Mount
Kingston
“Martinsville Speedway Fan”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I like Nascar races so I booked us for 3 nights in this Comfort Inn. We had our 8 year old grandson with us. The only rooms available were smoking rooms. The staff tried to help by taking an ionizer to the room but when we returned after about 3 hours the smoke smell was still very prevalent. Fortunately I had taken Febreeze with me as I knew it was a smoking room. The room was quite large and clean. Had some problems with the toilet which they helped with. Windows also opened. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast area was clean and breakfast was okay. I would recommend this hotel if you are going to a Nascar race as it is about 1/2 hour to the track.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room. It has only 2 floors and is in a quiet area.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Jerry R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Smith Mountain Lake, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm sorry we were not able to accommodate your non-smoking request, but as I'm sure you are aware, that room type is the first to go during sellouts. I'm glad you were prepared and was able to eliminate some of the smell with your Febreeze. Thank you for your comments regarding the clean room and friendly staff. We try very hard to accommodate our guests and ensure a great stay, and it's pleasing to know our efforts were recognized. We appreciate your recommendation and I look forward to hearing from you to make your return reservation.

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is dated...the room was big. When we got in the room I put some water in the fridge and there was leftovers from the previous guests.I made a sarcastic joke to the young girl at the front desk and gave her the leftovers all she did was laugh.I feel when something like that happens the rest of the cleaning of the room is suspect.after we checked out the cleaning it it seemed to be just ok...also on sunday and monday mornings the person supposed to take care of the breakfast area was checking people out instead of refilling coffee and breakfast items..I heard alot of people mumbling about it. Overall it was an average stay at a average hotel

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm very sorry to hear that your room was not satisfactory upon your arrival. Two of our most important goals is to provide great service and clean rooms. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We take your comments very seriously and will take the necessary steps to ensure better coverage during busy weekends. Thanks again for your comments. I hope you give us another
opportunity during your next visit to the Rocky Mount area.
Swords Creek, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed here one night while traveling for a race, the hotel was in a nice safe location, however it does need some updating. The rooms were clean but not what they should have been the room was extra large plenty of space even a brand new shower. However no one had turned the air on in the room it was around 90 degrees finally at 5am it had cooled down enough for all of us to sleep for an hour. The room did smell of the spray they use to deodrize the rooms and that just lingered where it was so hot. In the bathroom there was mold all over the walls behind the door. So updating is very much needed but no bugs or extreme flith is a good thing. I would say I would have been extremely upset had we paid $80 for the room but we stayed with points but still it should be updated.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pompano Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Recently we stayed at the Rocky Mount Comfort Inn. The hotel was filthy and infrastructure so worn, the hotel requires a total rebuild.
From the very moment we entered, the narrow front door, the unramped door sill was a challenge to navigate with the luggage cart. The carpet behind the front desk was filthy and worn.
The second floor hallway floor cracked like wooden floors in an old house. The washroom ventilator was so loud and fan so worn that the vibrations reverberated throughout the room. Once the lights were out, we could feel bugs on the bed. Silverfish were on my head. My wife almost puked at the sight of them. Although we were booked for several nights, needless to say after a horrible and sleepless night, we checked out the next morning and found more suitable accommodation.
The greatest disappointment was that Choice Hotels clearly had not inspected the hotel for adherence to standards! Problems were more associated with ownership, delinquent maintenance and infrastructure, than staff.
What a difference with the Cornelius Comfort Inn, where we stayed for 4 nights on this same trip. It was outstanding!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Rocky Mount hotels

Gastonia, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

The room smelled like there were cats living there. I about pucked when openin door.
it was terrible. The front desk sprayed some stuff but it did not help. had to leave could not stay

Room Tip: do not get 104
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Canton, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I would not recommend this place, it was an interesting walk in- the UPS lady was sitting, reading a magazine while her truck was running outside. A local was in having a cup of coffee. Slightly run down. The worse was going to our room- the while popcorn ceiling stuff was all over the top of the microwave. There were a lot of dead bugs in the window and on the floor. (there was a notice at the front desk about being inundated with stink bugs) and the beds looked rumpled. We Did go speak with the front desk, and the front desk clerk brought us up to another room, and it had a totally different look. Nothing wrong with this one.
But first impressions last longer, so I would by pass this one.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
TaraInn, Manager at Comfort Inn Smith Mountain Lake, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor for the Comfort Inn in Rocky Mount, VA. I want to extend my sincere apology for the substandard condition of your room. Our consistent goals of cleanliness and friendly service require diligent attention and feedback from our guests. I assure you we have taken measures to prevent these incidents from happening in the future. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our high standards of cleanliness and friendly service.
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Room was spacious, clean and quiet. Comfortable beds with 4 great pillows and a real blanket (not plastic). Bathroom was clean and everything worked. Staff was friendly and efficient. Grounds were shady and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn Smith Mountain Lake? Share your experiences!