“Totally delicious” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 405 restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
“Totally delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband loves chicken and waffles and had been dying to check this place out, so we went for his birthday lunch. The staff was really friendly and accommodating to us and our son (a toddler). Service was a little slow, however. The food was absolutely delicious! I am not an expert on chicken-and-waffles and had never tried this combo before, but I loved it. My husband, who IS more of an expert on this, was thrilled. Little guy ate up some green beans (a little bit on the salty side for my tastes) and loved the cornbread. We all wanted more poundcake, it was soo good! This was a great experience and we would love to come back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

73% Recommend
“Best fried chicken in the Star City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Order the signature chicken and waffles, and you can't go wrong. Delicious green beans and chicken livers, too, all served with a smile. Also, breakfast is available any time. We had no fewer than four servers check on us throughout the meal and really felt 'at home' at Thelma's The location downtown is in the heart of the market, affording lots of people-watching from outside seating or through the large plate glass windows. The night we visited there was a good blues band in the bar section, which filled up after the dinner hour with lots of friendly folks. Overall, a delicious, comfort food experience.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great service, better than average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The sweet, friendly staff and heavy emphasis on family was great and heart-warming. We had fried chicken and waffles - the chicken was juicy and well-seasoned, cooked perfectly (barely pink inside). The waffle wasn't my style, being cinnamon-spiked, but I could see it being popular.

Gravy is light but flavourful, definitely taste the stock in it, and it's quite viscous, which works for me. It's not a rich gravy, if you're looking for dense, this will not make you happy.

Overall, good meal, and I would try again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful Southern Style Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We knew what to expect when we went to this restaurant - southern food. Although a little more greasy than I usually like, the food was very tasty and the wait staff and ambiance made us feel right at home. Breakfast is served all day long, and my son had the chicken fingers and waffles, I had the chicken livers and my husband had the chopped steak. The corn bread was awesome - very moist, something I rarely find in corn bread. All the food was delicious and I would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winchester, Virginia
“From the lips and on to your hips!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was the best home cooking that I have had in a very long time!!! True Southern cooking!!! We had two apps- the onion rings and the fried green tomatoes!!! They were both so good!!! Then I moved on the waffle and chicken tenders with the best hash browns. This place is great but if you are watching what you eat do not go there!

• Visited June 2013