“Best Fried Chicken I've Ever Eaten” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #59 of 415 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Destin, FL
“Best Fried Chicken I've Ever Eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Thelma's Chicken & Waffles was a real treat. Was in Roanoke for a pleasure trip and saw Thelma's featured on TripAdvisor so I had to give it a try.

The location is really cool in Downtown Roanoke with a bunch of cool retail shops around. Upon walking into the restaurant, they were very welcoming. Service was fantastic from start to finish.

We ordered Fried Green Tomatoes with Mo' Betta sauce as well as Chicken & Waffles. The Fried Green Tomatoes were a bit greasy, but that comes with the territory when eating comfort food. The fried chicken was, bar none, the best I've ever tasted. Crisp exterior, tender and moist inside. Prices were unbelievably reasonable (I would expect to pay much more for food that good).

I highly recommend Thelma's if you're in Roanoke.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Roanoke, Virginia
“always amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Friendly and inviting atmosphere. Great food and great times. I love coming to this restaurant. Its amazing. Our friends first visit was last night for his birthday and it was the most amazing time yet. We will definitely be back!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Warrenton VA
“A must try in Roanoke!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I ate lunch at Thelma's while in Roanoke on business. We only had an hour, and we were worried that it would be crowded. The hostess sat us right away and mentioned that if we were in a hurry we shouldn't order chicken on the bone. Our server said the same thing, and he was very helpful. I ordered the boneless breast and waffle, and my co-worker ordered the chicken tenders and waffle. We both ordered sweet tea. I thought the tea was super-sweet. The food arrived really quickly, and it was delicious. The chicken was juicy and the waffle was light and fluffy. My only complaint is that the chicken breast was extremely small, especially compared to the giant waffle. But service was great, food was great, and I definitely plan on coming back next time I am in Roanoke!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vinton, Virginia, United States
“Sad sunday”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

First visit to Thelmas after it re opened was great! quickly seated, upbeat waitress, felt very welcome, food was great!,, however!! Second visit was not as good..waited a while, about ten minutes before we were seated, not because they didn't have open tables..just not noticed!! The third time was a bomb....we waited, three people said it wouldn't be long...got to clean you a table etc..as I approached the table I noticed syrup rings left on table and warned my husband re his suit....I glanced under the table and it was filthy!!! Dirty, used napkins piled under the table. Food debris all over. The next table noticed me looking and said the previous customers had trashed the area...I agreed that that was evident! Finally a waiter came over and I pointed out the trash all under the table, he looked and offered another table. I said no and that this was absolutely unacceptable to seat customers at a filthy table like this, especially as the previous people had been clearly unruly. We have not been back and will not return. If the restaurant is in this condition heaven only knows how the kitchen is kept...

• Visited October 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Love the environment and location. The food was tasty and it was interesting to pair chicken and waffles... a first for me.

Visited March 2012