“Fun and unusual setting for Roanoke” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Fun and unusual setting for Roanoke”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

On the way to a Friday movie with friends, we were going to eat elsewhere in ValleyView shopping center, but the other restaurants had long waiting lines on a cold Friday in January. Just across the street was Smokey Bones with a half empty parking lot. We've eaten there before, so it was an easy choice to cross the street.

Great meal. We were two well traveled couples. The menu includes a full range of salads, sandwiches and full bar-bq dinners. Even though this is a chain, the bar-bq is prepared in house over a hickory fire. My brisket plate was delicious. Good size portions of meat, onion rings and vegetable.

Our servier, Cole, was attentive and earned his tip.

My only disappointment was in their "crafted beer" selection. I was hoping for some locally produced or regional beers, but all that was offered were the national "craft" brands which you can purchase around the country.

We were in and out in less than 40 minutes and all four meals were great.

The tab for my wife and me came to $40.08 including one cocktail and one craft beer.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ottawa, ON
“Good experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We're fans of "Bones" but being Canadian our opportunitiues to visit are limited. We stopped here on our drive from Ottawa, ON to Florida. We enjoyed the usual warm "Bones" welcome and had very attentive service from Emily. We had the Pretzel Bones for appetizer followed by a rib and create your own combos. The Pretzel Bones were very fresh and hot and most enjoyable. Although very tasty the ribs were not hot enough. My wife found the sauces on her combo too sweet and felt that they should be served on the side rather than poured on the

Good atmosphere and good service. Food as I expect from "Bones".

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roanoke, Virginia
“Among the Best of the Middle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Commercial BBQ has its place and Smokey Bones is a good place for it. Roanoke’s Valley View location does well with the food, better with the service, and better still with mixology. The ribs and pulled pork will never win a Food Channel competition, but neither are they an insult to barbeque. The flavors are good. The seasoning is just far enough above white bread to make the place a preferred destination. A small array of available sauces on the table allows most people to raise their meal's culinary level well above mediocre. Personally, I wish they would bring back their own truly hot sauce. Likewise, the steak and chicken dishes start off good for the masses, and a little on-site doctoring easily raises them to a level of some distinction. Great quality salads, like the Steak and Spinach, provide excellent value options or additions. Deserts are good and are a good value. The bag of donuts is entirely too good. I recommend getting both donut sauces. As a subscriber to the "you don't order seafood at places with meat in their name philosophy,” I cannot comment on other dishes.

The staff generally succeeds at making a sincere effort to be cordial and helpful. At certain times, large crowds and the attendant long lines tax both the kitchen and floor staff beyond their capacity to provide every customer with a pleasant experience. They do things like serve overcooked throwaway sections of ribs or give completely erroneous wait times. I do not accept crowds as a valid excuse for lowered standards, but I see that many many people are used to doing so.

Smokey Bones' bar manages to avoid insipid corporate premixed flavor in most of its drinks. There is also a very good range of beer choices. As for wine, well this is just a grill. Best of all, they still have a happy hour that was not designed to please moralists who prejudge the maturity level of everyone else in the nation.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
oakwood va
“IF YOU LOVE BARBEQUE......go here ! ! !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The atmosphere is super nice. The staff was really friendly and interacted with my whole family. The food was outstanding. My dad had some sort of barbecue bacon cheese burger that was the size of his plate. he said it was delicious. my wife had the grilled chicken and it was super tender and delicious. i had the beef briskett and pulled pork with coleslaw. i'm not much on slaw, but this slaw is to die for. i don't know what they put in the dressing (sauce) but its creamy and plum delicious. the pork and beef both would melt in your mouth. it was delicious. and our waitress Daphne was super friendly and funny. my family had a great time. i'm trying to plan another trip to roanoke soon just so i can go back to smokey bones to eat again. LOL

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Poor Service, wrong orders under cooked”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

as above, there are too many better placed to eat, one of our guest waited over an hour for the right meal to show up, not going back

Visited October 2013