“Good accommadations” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Grundy, United States
“Good accommadations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Nice clean room but $100 plus a night is a little steep for a room. What ever happened to the $50.00 a night room? Hard for someone with limited income to swing but these days if you get a decent room that is the cost of staying. complimentary Breakfast is reasonably good for a hotel breakfast and that helps somewhat with the cost. I guess that saves you $20.00 on the total trip costs.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Harold, Hi there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I checked to see if you were a Best Western Rewards Member. You are! So I'm going to add 500 points to your account. That should help you move faster to a free room.

Our hotel usually runs anywhere from $99 to $129, but it sometimes goes much lower and slightly higher. I remember in the 60's our entire family (seven of us) stayed in a hotel for an outrageous price of $19. Boy, my dad could have definitely written your letter here if there was a Tripadvisor back then. ;-)

If you want to let me know when you're coming back into this area, just email me at teamlori@yahoo.com or call me at 540-362-2400 and I'll take care of your reservation for you.

Take care,
Lori Womack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you need a hotel for a night before flying out of Roanoke, then the Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View is perfect. Checking-in was fast, the staff efficient and friendly, the room big and the bed comfortable.
Compared to other Best Westerns, I would say this one is average (the one in Birmingham, for example is great). The outside structure is fine, the room certainly adequate but nearing the renovation stage. For a quick stay, it has it all: wireless, coffee at reception, big TV, etc. I just wouldn't want to stay there more than a night or two: too far away from things, a bit isolated ("off the highway" type of hotel). If you going to spend any time in Roanoke, better stay in the downtown area which might just surprise you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Chris, Hi there! Thanks for the review.

I like it that you wrote: " Next to the airport, extremely efficient and nice staff, good for a night/quick stay". That's a nice title, but there's so much more to us than that! We were recently renovated, in fact, we really haven't stopped yet because we're always updating something. Right now we're adding the fitness room, guest laundry and breakfast area. The bathroom and closets also just got upgraded as well. We're always trying to keep things fresh and new for our guests. You're important to us.

I am a bit confused about this sentence though: "too far away from things, a bit isolated ("off the highway" type of hotel). If you going to spend any time in Roanoke, better stay in the downtown area which might just surprise you."

Downtown Roanoke is an awesome place to spend the day walking around shopping and eating. But be prepared to get surprised spending big bucks at the only hotel downtown. For a much, much better location, try us! We're absolutely close to everything! The folks that live downtown? They come over to Valley View to shop, eat, etc.

There are over 20 restaurants within walking distance, a movie theatre, a mall, the airport, car rental, bus service, pharmacies, medical offices, churches, and more that are all in a one mile radius. We couldn't get any closer to the action. And if you don't want to walk, our brand new shuttle van will take you where you want to go....even downtown.

I know you only got to stay one night with us, so you really didn't get the full scope of the area, but next time you come to Roanoke....PLEASE stay with us again. Call me at 540-362-2400 or email me at teamlori@yahoo.com and I'll personally arrange a shuttle downtown to a few expensive restaurants. ;-)

Thanks much,
Royersford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were traveling from PA to SC and decided to spend the night in Roanoke since it was the halfway point in the trip. A friend of mine recommended Best Western Inn and it was a great recommendation. The room (2 double beds, 1st floor) were clean & had plenty of storage space so suitcases were not laying all over the room. The bathroom was spacious and had a heat lamp. Breakfast was good, and the hotel was near many restaurants so finding somewhere to eat upon arrival in the evening was not difficult at all. The pool was closed but that is not make or break for me, was only staying one night in winter. Would definitely stay again and would recommend to friends & family traveling along I-81.

Room Tip: Our double bed room contained a chest that suitcases could be stored in out of the way until morning...
Megan M,

I don't know what to say (which is unusual for me)! Ok...I'll give it a try (wink)...

To say we are the best hotel on I-81 is one of the nicest things anyone has ever written about us. I've been wondering if this is an exaggeration and I decided that I agree with you.....

Here's why:

We are nearly 19 years old but we are an updated, newly renovated, ever-evolving hotel. We're located next to the Interstate, the airport, etc., but a very quiet hotel. Our staff is friendly, friendly, friendly. We know why we're here...to serve you. Our prices don't gouge, but we're not a "cheap" motel either. We say we are what we are.

You know, we used to be Number 1 on Tripadvisor until a new hotel was built (they didn't crawl up the ladder, they debuted at #1...tough to beat) and then an historic, full-service hotel that money gets dumped into it (I wonder where they get all that money...oh, yeah...their guests) jumps up and bumps us down again. These two hotels ahead of us are beautiful and deserve a spot at the top. But again, we are nearly 19 years old and still manage to stay at the top. Why? Cause we really are a great place. And according to YOUR review...the best on I-81. We can't rest on those laurels, but I'm going to milk that for everything I can. LOL!

Thanks again for saying such nice things about us. Please email me at teamlori@yahoo.com or call me at 540-362-2400 if you have any questions or ideas for me.

Colonial Heights, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

It is very difficult traveling with a pet and rooms are not always clean. Our room was very clean and pleasant.

Our check-in was completed by Skyelar. She is a true professional and definitely sets the standard for customer service. Skyelar called shortly after we went to our room to ensure everything was okay or if we needed something. This is rare. We have traveled considerably and stayed in various quality of hotels and have not received such a call.

Room Tip: If you are staying only one night, ensure the room key works on the outside doors in the morning. W...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hello Brenda C.

We LOVE our doggie friends. We've actually bonded with some and they give us lots of lovin' when they come back to see us!

Isn't Skyelar awesome? We are so fortunate to have her on our team. Next time your here, ask her to let you hear her Long Island Medium accent. ;-) (She's from Idaho...soooo it's funny).

Hope to see you again on this side of the Commonwealth.

Monroe, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Loved the room and the availability. The breakfast was great. Our 4 year old found everything that he liked. Which is usually a chore. Something for everyone. The room was very nice and clean with lots of space for our son.

Jessica,

I'm not sure where Monroe is, but I'm sure it's a great place.

Thanks much for such a kind review. Your opinion means a lot to us (but actually everyone's does...good or bad).

Please come back and see us soon.

Roanoke, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Check-in was easy, pleasant. Cost was right for a one night stay. Plenty of heat and hot water. Room was very clean but outdated. Wallpaper and paint were beginning to peel. Mattress on one of the double beds needed replacement.

Hello Harry!

Thanks much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm really glad you stayed with us.

With so many positive comments, I would have loved to have seen a higher rating, but it did get my attention. (Just a quick update on our rooms, we were just renovated recently and added a larger breakfast area, fitness center and guest laundry to our long list of amentities. We also changed our beds to create a higher mattress and more relaxing sleep) I can't wait to show you these things next time you visit with us!

Barre, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Rooms for people with disabilities are at the other end of the hall from the elevators. Not a good design. Shower chair does not fit in the tub. Breakfast was not as advertised. Don't bother with the breakfast.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear CCYR (I'm calling you See, see your review),

I'm absolutely in agreement with you about the ADA rooms (disability accessible rooms)! I can't argue there! Honestly, in all of the hotels I've managed in nearly 26 years, they've all been designed with those rooms in the back of the building. Weird. Unfortunately, that's what we've inherited here....SO......what we would be happy to do...in fact we insist on it....is that the next time you come our way, you call us and tell us what you need and we'll fix it the best way we can. We'll even carry everything to your room and bring you breakfast if you like. Whatever we need to do to take care of you....we'll do.

I'm hoping you can tell me a little bit more about not having the breakfast we advertise. I only list what I do offer. No more, no less. AND, the good news is, we're revamping our dining area as I write this. So it's going to be much better than it has in the past. Let me know more if you would. My email address is: teamlori@yahoo.com.

Thanks much!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View? Share your experiences!