“Frequent Guest” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Frequent Guest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I am a frequent guest at this property, usually for 3-4 nights at a time.
The staff is excellent and friendly (easily this hotel's most valuable asset).
The facilities and decor are adequate for the price point. Recent upgrades are noticed and appreciated.
The technology options are severely lacking for anyone who needs reliable internet access. I have not found a room (despite several requests) with a wired connection and wifi is spotty and intermittent no matter the location of your room.
After the "givens" of a hotel stay (clean and secure room), reliable internet access is the most necessary amenity in a hotel in 2013 and this property does not provide it in a useable way.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thanks for being a return guest. I am pleased you continually decide to stay with us. I apologize for the difficulty you have with the internet. I will have it looked into immediately to ensure all equipment is working properly. I hope you will continue to visit us when you are in the Roanoke area.

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Roanoke, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This is the only hotel I will use when i'm in Roanoke. The employees are all friendly, the hotel is clean, the rooms are clean and spacious, its also in a great location. Close to the airport, great resteraunts and shopping

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thanks so much for your review.
We do have a wonderful location this time of year as the area's largest shopping complex, Valley View Mall is within walking distance. (But you might want to drive so you don't have to carry your purchases).
I am pleased you enjoyed your visit with a clean room and friendly staff. I hope you will visit us again soon.
Covington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a late Dr. appointment on Tuesday in Roanoke, weather was lousy pouring down rain and fog, decides to stay overnight and do some Christmas shopping the next day. Hotel was really nice, close to shopping mall and lots of good resturants. Staff was really nice and helpful, would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I hope everything went well with your Doctor's appointment. Thanks for staying with us and enjoying the hotel and nearby shopping. Hopefully you were able to mark several things off your Christmas list.
We hope to have you visit us again.
Earth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a reservation for a room at that hotel. We arrived and asked to see the room first.
Being rewards club members of that hotels chain, our personal room preferences are mentioned on our membership details list and the staff should be aware of them.
The room was located close to noisy vending machines and it had an adjoining door to the next room - unlike our preferences.
We went back to front desk an asked for a quiet room. We were given a second room at the end of the corridor, far from vending machines, but with an impossible mold odor.
We came back to front desk and asked for a not stinking room, without mold odor. We were given a third room that had exactly the same strong disgusting mold odor as the second room had.
When we came back to front desk for the third time, the lady at the front desk said that they have a problem with the mold odor - so it wasn't a new or an unknown issue, but it didn't stop them from trying to sell their guests stinking rooms.
She said that they don't have other available rooms, so we canceled our reservation. She didn't like that at all and treated us as if it was OUR fault, as if WE have done something wrong.
We asked to receive a printed cancellation and she refused. She told us that WE have to call Best Western reservation center in order to make sure that our reservation is canceled and that we are not charged. It was in the afternoon, well before cancellation time. There were no other guests at front desk at that time.
We didn't give up and insisted that she is the one that should call Best Western reservation center and make the arrangements. She had no choice and called them.
So what did we have here?
- They ignored our preferences they knew about, without even telling us.
- They sent us 3 times to rooms we could not stay in.
- They tried to sell us stinking rooms although they knew they are stinking.
- The lady at front desk refused even to take care of our cancellation, that we had to make because of they negligence.
- We remained without a room for that night and had to start looking for a hotel.
- Nobody at that hotel even thought to apologize.

I must tell you about an interesting note I saw hanging from the inner part of the front desk. It said: DON'T LET A PROBLEM LEAVE THE HOTEL. Not only did they let the problems they created leave the hotel, they didn't even try to solve them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Timothy J D, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Oh no... sounds like you feel like we dropped the ball with your reservation.
I want to first apologize that you feel that we let a problem leave our hotel. Definitely not something we ever let happen. We attempt to accommodate any and all guest requests including room type preferences, location in the hotel and such.
Our king rooms are conveniently located in 2 locations in our hotel. The first being corporate executive king rooms that are on each floor near the lobby. Then we also have handicapped ADA accessible king rooms that are located at the end of our hotel's bank of guest rooms.
As is stated in some of our other reviews, we had an EXTREMELY wet summer. Did I say Extremely? We went through each room and checked it over with fine toothed comb to ensure that there was nothing in the rooms because the humidity was horrible in the Valley. I can only speculate that the smell you encountered may have been the type of air freshener that we used to use in the rooms. Some guests weren't used to it, and to them it had the smell of mold when in fact it wasn't anything in the room that was mold or mildew related.
As far as the front desk agent, our agents are trained to always put the guest first. Our agents always make sure a guest has the best experience possible. When a guest checks in and then they have to leave for whatever reason (early departure) our systems are somewhat limited as to obtaining a cancellation. What we can provide is a blank receipt which I'm sure that the clerk provided as requested.

Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Timothy J Dean
Director of Sales
BW PLUS Inn at Valley View
Roanoke, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Friendly staff, lovely room, comfy beds, good breakfast, cold water available in the lobby as well as coffee. We slept like babies in the king size bed and the leather recliner was a nice touch. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel when visiting Roanoke. Great location too!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm pleased you decided to stay with us and that your visit was enjoyable. The recliners have been a big hit with guests. I'm glad you mentioned them.
Please visit us again soon when you return to the beautiful Roanoke Valley.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here on our way back from a trip up north, and I chose it based on the excellent ratings. I was pleased with everything but the person who checked us out at the end.

The room was very clean, well stocked, and comfortable. The breakfast was on the third floor (not a problem, just interesting to note), and it was comparable to other, more expensive hotels' breakfasts.

As to the person who checked us out, I didn't catch her name, but I have always disliked it when someone was speaking to me but never looked at me. This person spoke as if she were a bit annoyed, was very bland, and didn't seem sincere when she asked how our stay was. I left feeling as if she were speaking to me but yet trying to avoid having to speak or interact with me.

Otherwise, I enjoyed our stay here, and the price was very reasonable. It was a good value for the $96.00 we paid ($84 plus $12 in taxes).

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for visiting us and for your review of your stay.
We take pride in offering our guests a clean, comfortable room and a friendly, helpful staff. I am sorry we only delivered on the room aspect of your stay and not the staff portion. There is no excuse for missing the boat on a friendly staff and as such, I have made a change in staff members. Hopefully you will not experience an unfriendly staff member at the hotel again. We take every effort to hire a friendly and smiling personality to be a member of our team.
Thanks again for your comments. I hope you will visit us again.
Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This hotel was familiar to one of the people traveling with me, so she made the arrangements. What a reasonably priced, very handy location this was! The hotel was very clean and the complimentary breakdfast had a good variety. If you are staying in Roanoke and want not only a good value, but friendly hotel staff providing great service, consider this hotel! The shoppers in your party will enjoy that this is just across from the mall and the foodies will love the great selection right at your doorstep. Free wi-fi was also a huge plus!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your review. Thanks for mentioning our friendly staff, great location, and good price value.
I hope you will visit us again soon.
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View? Share your experiences!