“Nice Stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Jonestown, Pennsylvania
“Nice Stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stopped here on our way home from Nashville and the hotel met our needs. We found the staff to be very good and the price right. The room was clean and very nice. The continental breakfast was good but the room was very small with very few tables. We got our food and went back to our room as there was no seats however were lucky as we were on the first floor. The hotel is near three restaurants a Red Palace (Chinese, Applebees, and a TGIF. There is a mall near by with more restaurants but take your car do not walk as its kind of far.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thanks for staying with us. I am pleased you enjoyed you visit and the mall area we are located in. We are soon to begin a remodeling of our breakfast area and that will create more space for our guests.
I hope you will visit us in the future should you return to the Roanoke Valley.

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Lake Norman NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was my first time visit to Roanoke and my stay was pleasant. I was traveling alone and had no clue about the area. I stopped off to get gas and was directed to the mall area. I was lucky to walk in and get a room without a reservation because there was a tour bus visiting this hotel. Check in was quick and the staff were very helpful. The room was great however it could have used a little more attention to cleaning as my desk was covered with something very sticky. I just wiped it off no need to complain because everything else was very comfortable and the room itself was very nice and large. Cost of the room was excellent around $119.00 including tax. I agree with the other reviews on the musty smell and assumed that the room just hadnt been used in awhile. After turning on the air conditioner it helped a lot. I felt very safe in this area.. perfect location for shopping and dinning... near a huge mall and tons of places to eat. Breakfast had a lot of choices get there early as I waited to late and items cooked were cold. If in the area again I would stay there. It does have a small indoor pool.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for staying with us. I know you had many lodging choices in the area, so I am grateful you choose the Best Western Plus.
Our location offers many restaurant and shopping choices for our guests and all within the Valley View Mall shopping complex.
I hope you will visit us again the in the future.
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Lovely hotel. We had a huge room on the third floor. Everything was spotlessly clean. We especially appreciated the recliner and comfortable desk chair. Friendly and helpful staff and excellent breakfast. The only quibble I would have is that the breakfast area could be larger. Otherwise - perfectionl.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your wonderful comments. I am pleased your stay was comfortable and enjoyable. We are soon beginning a remodeling of our breakfast area and will create the seating area so our guests have more room to enjoy the many breakfast selections we offer.
I hope you will visit us again should you return to the Roanoke Valley.
Newport, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Excellent motel, we found a very welcoming staff who made our stay warm enough we will be going back. The vanity sink had a drain issue which was quickly handled by house keeping staff. The cleanliness of the room was very good also. The breakfast was good and the food items were presented in good fashion. The motel was busier on Saturday night than Friday. Room for about 15 people in the dining area was quickly filled. Vending machine could use some help !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Terry,

You are so nice to leave us such a great review! The breakfast is VERY small...BUT....guess what? We're in the process right now of enlarging our breakfast area. Yay, yay, yay!! Come back and check it out again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and me came back from staying two nights at this hotel. Check in was really quick. Staff very friendly and helpful. The room was quite large. Beds are extremely comfortable. Very clean and comes with Bath and Body Products. Air-condition was working well.. The staff is extremely helpful in helping you find things to do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks Delia! I wish we would have been awesome enough to get more than three out of five from you...but I appreciate you taking the time to write such kind words about us!
Flanders, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Ideally located in the heart of the harbor area. The breakfast service was superb and they offer gated parking nearby, a must in the crowded port area. Easy walking to an array of fine restaurants and shops.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We don't have a Harbor or a port...but...um....Thank you?

LOL! I think you might have the wrong hotel but I'd bet that you also stayed with us. If not...do so soon! We'd love to have you!
nc coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting our daughter who recently moved to the area. The hotel is a good deal compared to others in the area but it is old and run down. The room we stayed in had a terrible smell. It was so bad that I went to a nearby Lowe's and got some odor remover, it helped but the smell was still there. It smelled much like a wet animal.

The worst part was, when I went back in mid-afternoon to use the deodorizer our room hadn't been cleaned. I went to the front desk and told them to please have it cleaned and they said they would. When I went back after helping our daughter all afternoon to take a shower before dinner, around 6:00, It was still not cleaned. I ended up cleaning it myself.

As we were checking out they asked if everything was OK. I mentioned that the room wasn't cleaned and that I had done it myself, they laughed and said "Oh that's why they didn't clean it, because you did it yourself". So just a note, if you plan on staying more than one night, bring your own maid!

Room Tip: Check the smell before you unpack!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
NCHarleyman,

This is an interesting review. Where to start? How about with the musty odor:

I honestly don't think that the age of the hotel has anything to do with it. One of Roanoke's "gems" is a 130 year old hotel. But it does have a lot do with how it is taken care of. Because of such a rainy and humid summer, every hotel in town has had musty smells to deal with. As I write this, I'm in Virginia Beach at a highly-rated hotel. Every time I walk into my room, I smell a little must. I'm not sure what the other hotels do, but we go through each room to try to detect mustiness (is that a word?) and use our dehumidifier until the humidity is as low as we can get it. We also deep clean the rooms being very careful NOT to over-use deodorizer to mask the odor.

I'm very sorry that you went to a store to buy a deodorizer. We would have gladly moved you to a room that wasn't effected by the damp weather. (and paid for the deodorizer).

I'm also sorry that your room wasn't cleaned by the time you returned back to your room. We are a very busy hotel and of course move from room to room, floor to floor and it sounds like we just didn't get to your room before you came back. I can see how if a housekeeper entered your room and it looked cleaned then they would have moved on to their next room. But you shouldn't have had to do that, of course.

Please contact me so that I can refund your money. I never want anyone to pay for something that they aren't happy with. We aren't like that. And honestly, I don't feel like we deserve the three out of five score that you gave us. That was kind of you.

Email me at teamlori@yahoo.com and I'll refund your money. I can't tell on Tripadvisor who you are.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View? Share your experiences!