“Passing thru” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Rochester, Minnesota
“Passing thru”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were travelling the Parkway and stopped in Roanoke for the night...a Sunday night. No rooms available except here. A tournament in town. I haven't stayed at a Best Western in a long time. Now I remember why. The room was dirty and musty. The beds were uncomfortable and small...double? don't think so. However I could not be picky since nothing else was available. It was barely adequate but would not normally have stayed there. The complimentary breakfast was a joke and the closet it is served in. Seriously folks 3 tables???? They would be better off dumping the breakfast reducing the price and put some money in the beds. After all its a hotel that you sleep in that I pay for not the food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hello there SM!

I really appreciate you stopping to take the time to review our hotel. I always try to find something to help guide me on where I'm missing the target so that we can do better for our next guests. Not all hotels do that. I think managers get caught up in the daily tasks and just think "It is what it is"..."We are what we are", but I listen...and care....and try to change things.

I'm not going to bore you with a recap of this summer's weather, but Roanoke has had a VERY wet summer. I'm thinking of starting a rice field (wink). Seriously, it's rained here nearly every day...and at least three or four days out of every week. That makes for damp, humid air and makes it nearly impossible to keep that humidity out of our rooms (and keep a curl in my hair!)

The effect is a musty smell in the rooms. What do we do to combat that? Well...every day we've been running the dehumidifier in the rooms, keeping fans on and when it's dry and warm out, we're opening doors and windows. Basically, whatever we can do to dry up the inside. It definitely keeps us on our toes!

And I never like correcting a guest....so, yes we (like all of the other hotels in the region) have had some damp air to contend with. BUT, our hotel is NOT dirty! We have a clean, newly-renovated hotel with people who really care tending to our guests' needs. We do NOT have queen-sized mattresses, never have...but someday we may change them. So, yep! You were in a room with two Double-sized beds.

The breakfast? Oh...I'm just going to say "see below" on that one....with one exception. We actually have seven tables...and a complete renovation is slated for this fall. Stay tuned!

I hate to see bad reviews, but we know we can't make everyone happy all of the time. That's our goal, but we know everyone has preferences. You obviously didn't like our hotel...but all Best Western's are different. Don't count out the other ones...you'll miss out on some fantastic hotels!

And since you weren't happy with your hotel visit, I refunded your complete stay. I never want anyone to pay for something that they think was this bad!

If you want to give me some more pointers, please email me at: teamlori@yahoo.com

Thanks again,
Lori

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were very pleased with the Best Western at Roanoke, the staff were all helpful and friendly and seemed to actually enjoy working there. The room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was fresh and very tasty. My husband especially loves a hot breakfast with eggs and sausage. We will recommend the hotel to anyone who may be going that way and we will certainly stay there again if we are in the vicinity.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Elaine B,

Thanks so much for the review!

We do enjoy working here! We play jokes on each other, laugh with each other and take care of each other! Teamwork! And we hope that it shows!

Come and see us again soon.
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stopped in Roanoke VA for one night and found The Best Western Plus on Valley View on-line with a special rate if you booked your reservation on-line. I called the hotel with a request for a first floor room due to my wife's health needs. I was told that we MIGHT be accomodated but they couldn't promise us that they would be give us a first floor room until our arrival. They also told me that the on-line rate was only available if we booked our reveservation on-line and paid at the time of booking. So we took a chance and took advantage of the on-line rate. When we arrived at the hotel we observed two uniformed security guards sitting by the front enterence. Not sure why this was necessary but glad we didn't see any need for them. At the front desk there wasn't anyone to be found so I just wandered around the lobby for a few minutes looking for someone who may work there. Finally a young lady came out from somewhere and preceded to check us in to a 3rd floor room. We were thankful for the elevator, even though the carpet was stained and dirty. When we opened the door to our room we smelled a musty odor. We turned up the A/C and left to find a restaurant. When we returned a couple of hours later the smell had dissapated so that was a relief. Slept well on a comfortable bed. Overall the room was clean and appointed with the necessities for a hotel of this quality. Breakfast was included. When we went down to the rather small breakfast area near the lobby it was very crowded and very limited seating. We decided to go to a nearby restaurant after seeing some the breakfast items the other guests had on their plates. So overall really nothing to reccomend this hotel over dozen of other choices in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello!

Thanks much for the review! I'm not sure where the security guards came from. They may have been guests here. So far, we haven't had a need for any security guards. (thankfully). But I'm glad that you at least got a good night's rest.

I hope the rest of your journey was good. Please come back and see us again! Maybe our new breakfast room will be built by then!
Franklin, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Clean, well-lighted, close to restaurants and inter-state. Comfortable room with plenty of towels and personal amenities. Small lobby and pool....and very small breakfast area with run-of-the mill items. Still, a reasonable overnight stay for us.

Dennis,

Hello there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback. Have a great rest of the summer!
Charlottesville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I travel extensively for business and this is one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The staff are friendly and helpful (particularly John). The Beds are very comfortable, things are clean and smell clean, VERY quiet, parking is good, I've never had to hunt for a space no matter what time I come in. There's not much in the way of vending choices and machines fail from time to time, so bring your own snacks. That's not a deal breaker for me. There's a family, traveler vibe to this place, which I like. It feels friendly and relaxed and I'm not charged for something every time I turn around, like at other hotels. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Becky B,

Oh, thank you so much for the kind words! I appreciate it when people take the time to tell us what we do right.

John is a great person. We all enjoy working with him.

Please come and see us again soon!
Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Sorry to say I was not pleased with my stay at Best Western. the positives: staff was attentive and accommodating, the breakfast was good but the area was small. Negatives: the pool looked dirty and there were towels all over the floor. Our room had a terrible musty odor. Our air conditioner didn't work but when I called the front desk someone came out quickly to fix it. Unfortunately the room still had that musty odor. I would not stay here again if I were in this area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elegan, I'm very sorry! I looked for someone who would match your user name...but I can't find a match. Would you please email me at teamlori@yahoo.com. I would like to compensate you for your disapointment. It can't change the experience, but hopefully it will help.
roanoak, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

VERY satisfied with the accomdations as well as the friendly, helpful staff. My wife even loved the decor, of the room!! Noticed that they even had a indoor pool, that looked inviting but was too late for us to enjoy. Bksft was a litttle tight, space wise but the products offered were very fresh...I'm talking, delicious muffins, here! :))

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Charles P, thank you very much for the nice review! Yes...our breakfast room is very small. But I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the food.

Please come back and see us soon!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View? Share your experiences!