“Good Place to spend 1 night” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good Place to spend 1 night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stopped in Roanoke VA for one night and found The Best Western Plus on Valley View on-line with a special rate if you booked your reservation on-line. I called the hotel with a request for a first floor room due to my wife's health needs. I was told that we MIGHT be accomodated but they couldn't promise us that they would be give us a first floor room until our arrival. They also told me that the on-line rate was only available if we booked our reveservation on-line and paid at the time of booking. So we took a chance and took advantage of the on-line rate. When we arrived at the hotel we observed two uniformed security guards sitting by the front enterence. Not sure why this was necessary but glad we didn't see any need for them. At the front desk there wasn't anyone to be found so I just wandered around the lobby for a few minutes looking for someone who may work there. Finally a young lady came out from somewhere and preceded to check us in to a 3rd floor room. We were thankful for the elevator, even though the carpet was stained and dirty. When we opened the door to our room we smelled a musty odor. We turned up the A/C and left to find a restaurant. When we returned a couple of hours later the smell had dissapated so that was a relief. Slept well on a comfortable bed. Overall the room was clean and appointed with the necessities for a hotel of this quality. Breakfast was included. When we went down to the rather small breakfast area near the lobby it was very crowded and very limited seating. We decided to go to a nearby restaurant after seeing some the breakfast items the other guests had on their plates. So overall really nothing to reccomend this hotel over dozen of other choices in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello!

Thanks much for the review! I'm not sure where the security guards came from. They may have been guests here. So far, we haven't had a need for any security guards. (thankfully). But I'm glad that you at least got a good night's rest.

I hope the rest of your journey was good. Please come back and see us again! Maybe our new breakfast room will be built by then!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Franklin, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Clean, well-lighted, close to restaurants and inter-state. Comfortable room with plenty of towels and personal amenities. Small lobby and pool....and very small breakfast area with run-of-the mill items. Still, a reasonable overnight stay for us.

Dennis,

Hello there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback. Have a great rest of the summer!
Charlottesville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I travel extensively for business and this is one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The staff are friendly and helpful (particularly John). The Beds are very comfortable, things are clean and smell clean, VERY quiet, parking is good, I've never had to hunt for a space no matter what time I come in. There's not much in the way of vending choices and machines fail from time to time, so bring your own snacks. That's not a deal breaker for me. There's a family, traveler vibe to this place, which I like. It feels friendly and relaxed and I'm not charged for something every time I turn around, like at other hotels. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Becky B,

Oh, thank you so much for the kind words! I appreciate it when people take the time to tell us what we do right.

John is a great person. We all enjoy working with him.

Please come and see us again soon!
Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Sorry to say I was not pleased with my stay at Best Western. the positives: staff was attentive and accommodating, the breakfast was good but the area was small. Negatives: the pool looked dirty and there were towels all over the floor. Our room had a terrible musty odor. Our air conditioner didn't work but when I called the front desk someone came out quickly to fix it. Unfortunately the room still had that musty odor. I would not stay here again if I were in this area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elegan, I'm very sorry! I looked for someone who would match your user name...but I can't find a match. Would you please email me at teamlori@yahoo.com. I would like to compensate you for your disapointment. It can't change the experience, but hopefully it will help.
roanoak, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

VERY satisfied with the accomdations as well as the friendly, helpful staff. My wife even loved the decor, of the room!! Noticed that they even had a indoor pool, that looked inviting but was too late for us to enjoy. Bksft was a litttle tight, space wise but the products offered were very fresh...I'm talking, delicious muffins, here! :))

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Charles P, thank you very much for the nice review! Yes...our breakfast room is very small. But I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the food.

Please come back and see us soon!
Tappahannock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and two daughters and I stayed at this place based upon the reviews and based upon the proximity to our hike at McAfee Knob and our trip to Virginia Tech, which is about 45-60 minutes away I would probably have rated this a very strong 4 or maybe a 4.5 if it was an option, but thought we got a lot of bang for our buck. We were able to book online and get what turned out to be a really good rate. The room was clean, the television(apparently new and upgraded) was very clear and the chair in the room was very comfortable. The décor is fresh and the breakfast was good too. I would have been happy enough paying the normal rate for this place, but was really pleased with the stay given the rate.

On another note, we walked next door to the Red Palace Chinese restaurant and found it to be a good value, clean and of good quality for the price too.

We did not go, but there is a pretty good sized, shopping mall within a quarter mile of the hotel that might have appealed to us had we been staying longer.

We will stay here again the next time we are up in the area and we will eat at the restaurant again too.

Room Tip: The breakfast room is small and does not look like it has a lot of options, but that is deceiving...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Rivahrapp....Thanks so much for your kind review! I hope the hike was awesome...it's a great view! There's so many great hiking trails around here!

See you again soon...maybe in the fall!
Charlottetown, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel during our vacation in June and were not thrilled. The place is inexpensive, modern, clean, well maintained and offers a good breakfast but - and this was the big turn-off - has a lot of communicating rooms with doors that are about as soundproof as tissue paper. These are great for families that want them but for couples who don't want to listen to the people next door it's not so great. Our first room had a communicating door and the adjoining room had a family with young children in it. They weren't particularly noisy but were very audible. We requested a move - and were put into another room with a communicating door! Fortunately, this time our neighbours very quiet. We wouldn't go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric!!!! Oh...NOOOOOO!!! We have many, in fact, most rooms that are NOT adjoining. Please come back and give us another chance. Just email me and tell me that you do NOT want an adjoining room and we will not give you one.

teamlori@yahoo.com....email me. Ok? ;-)