“extraordinary customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“extraordinary customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

my wife and i wish to express our sincerest appreciation skyler and lauren's gracious attention
in assisting us to navigate our way to the nearest hospital at 9:00 pm at night for a non emergency situation. After reviewing with them the detailed printed directions, my wife to wanted to go by taxi. The women offered the motel shuttle which we quicklly accepted. Now enters " the man of the hour, Ralph". Ralph was the most congenial and caring individual we have ever met. Thank godness for us, he got us to the er and stayed with us until the semi- non emergency was resovled and then took us back to the motel. The next morning i received
a telephone call from Ralph checkiing up on us. You have a spectacular staff and we look forward to returning.

Bill and Chrysa Collins

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Bill and Chrysa, thank you so very much for leaving such a great review for not just our hotel...but for our associates! We have a staff that really does care...even on bad days (and we all have them). Skyelar, Lauren and Ralph were very happy to help you in any way they could. We appreciate your business and hope all is well with you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Ottawa, Ontario,CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was my first return to Best Western after 40 years ( the last time I was told by a Greek franchise owner that if I don't like it I can go elsewhere!) And so I was pleasantly greeted and found the place impeccable. Well located. Well kept. Excellent value for the dollar. This said from a guest who has been going to the upper scale hotels for a lifetime ( ie Ritz Carleton, Intercontinental, Fairmont, Sheratons etc...) Compares well with a Holiday Inn Express. This was a pet friendly and very clean place to stay and I recommend it

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
What a kind review you have given us!! We sometimes miss the mark, but we love our jobs and we hope it shines through! Come back and see us very soon!
Marion, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was our first stay at one of the new "Plus" level Best Western and, in general, it was a very nice stay. The hotel was well=located, in a row of "nicer" hotels - Hyatt Place, Mainstay, etc. - near the airport and near a big - make that giant - mall. The grounds and presentation was much batter than the usual BW and the front desk clerk was friendly, competent, and knowledgable. There is a small indoor pool just inside the front doors, which was getting an enjoyable event by a bunch of kids, mostly. (There was major youth event in Roanoke during our stay and the hotel was full of families and kids.) There was no lobby: we'll come back to that in a minute.
Our King-Non-Smoking room was much better than the usual BW: good bed and bedding, excellent bathroom with granite counters and satisfactory amenities, excellent desk and chair with lamp and convenient power outlets, a leather recliner, good A/C, working TV with HBO, WiFi, and plenty big.
The breakfast room was terrible, small and ugly, with nowhere near enough room for the usage, five card tables pushed together in a line with chairs on both sides, like a training table or a monastery. The breakfast met the definition of "complete hot breakfast", with sausage, muffins, white gravy, "egg patties", French toast sticks, DIY waffles and pancakes, cereal, bagels, etc., but everything - everything - was obviously selected with "the least we have to do" as the guideline. Even the plastic cutlery was unusably flimsy. My guess is that when Best Western decided to upgrade this 16 year old hotel to "Plus" they did not plan on offering a complementary breakfast, and added it only at the last minute in order to meet the competition, and they did not do a good job. Had they not offered it, then loused up execution, I would have given this hotel an excellent rating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Mr. O'Connell, Thanks so much for the kind review! Yes, we have SkillsUSA in this weekend. The hotel has been full with teens since Friday afternoon...and we love having them! We do have a lobby and it's beautiful (see photos), but because our breakfast area is so small, we set tables and chairs up to accommodate the large groups. This morning our lobby is full of chattering, excited teens talking about the awards they won! (So proud of their achievements)

And you're right about the breakfast. When this hotel was built it was not built for a full breakfast room so they added on.....and we all agree it's entirely too small! Enlarging that room is slated to occur in the future...so come back and check us out!

Thanks again and see you soon!
Suffolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

When I found the motel online, the price was pleasing. But by the time they finished their add-ons it was not so pleasing. The main surprise was the charge for the in-room safe. The clerk said that is automatic, unless you ask for it to be taken off at the time of reserving. I said, they never told me it was there. I didn't know I NEEDED to ask for it to be taken off. What else do I need to ask to be taken off? Overall, the room was clean and well appointed. They just need to be more honest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Leslie,

Lawdy...if that's not a direct shout out to me...I don't know what is! ;-) I'm sorry they didn't explain to you how the safe charges work at Booking.com when you made your reservation. I think they just tell you the amount and let us explain it....so here's the explanation:

We provide safes in our rooms. Not everyone uses their safe, but many, many guests do. If anyone ever has valuables that come up missing out of their safe (unlikely but possible), our insurance company will cover those items. But they require us to charge for the warranty on our safes. And they require me to itemize the charge (NOT hide it in the rate) It's definitely not how I'd like the process to go...because people tend to think I'm trying to be shady and sneak in an extra $1.50 into their charges, but on the contrary. No, it's not how I'd like the process to go...but this is what they require of me for now. So...When each and every single guest (including each person here on Tripadvisor) checks in, we ask them to READ and initial that they understand there is a safe in their room and give them the option to opt out of using it. If they tell us they do not want the safe, we exempt them from the $1.50 fee. If ever, ever a guest is charged $1.50 after they told us they did not want the coverage for the safe then it was only an oversight on the clerk's part. We are a very busy hotel and sometimes forget to hit the "exempt" button for the safe...but we never, ever will charge you on purpose to steal the money from our guests. I will warn our readers though that other hotels absolutely, unequivocally charge you and do NOT itemize it on your bill. They hide it...and THAT is being dishonest.

As far as having any other 'add-ons"...I'm confused about that. We don't charge for anything else unless you have a pet (and we also ask you to read and initial that as well). In your case, Leslie...I don't see anything but room charge, tax and then the safe fee. If you have any questions.....please, please feel free to email me at teamlori@yahoo.com. I would email you but I don't have your email address on your reservation since you went through a third party.

For our readers thinking of staying with us....I PROMISE....I won't steal $1.50 plus tax from you...just let us know you'd rather not have the safe fee and we will take it off.
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have to scratch my head on what people write here... This place does NOT deserve to be # 2 in Roanoke at all!
Location is good, but there are many decent options just around the corner anyway.
Breakfast is mediocre and front desk unfriendly.
Upon check-in I saw the note about charging extra for the safe. I said I didn't need it. The gentleman said "nothing to worry about, it's included in your rate". I left the hotel very early in the morning to catch my flight.. at the airport, upon reviewing my statement, I was charged for the safe! Is this what you call honesty? I don't think so!!!
Asked for a wake-up call 4 times. Twice it was 30 to 45 minutes late. Is this good service?
If in Roanoke, avoid this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Fortaleza, I'm so sad that you wrote that we don't deserve to be #2 in Tripadvisor....ouch! And the line "if in Roanoke, avoid this place" is surprising! We work very hard to provide excellent service. We're not perfect....and slip up sometimes...but we care and strive to hit the mark! But isn't it great that there is now a place online to voice your opinion? I love it!

I gotta say that after reading your entire review, I like it that you're voicing your concern over the safe charge...but I am NOT okay with you getting a late wake-up call! (For a detailed explanation about the safe charges read the review titled "I don't want your safe"!)

I'm so sorry your calls were late. We don't usually hear that because they are all automated and timed according to our switchboard, but in your case...somehow we made that happen! Please email me and I will compensate you for your inconvenience if you would like. My email is: teamlori@yahoo.com.
Auburn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed there before several times. The location, rooms, wifi, and breakfast are good. But:
What they show you on the web site and the paper receipt does not match. I.E.:
- email confirmation: $94.57
- paper receipt: $94.57
- credit card charge: $1.00
- credit card charge: $96.15
I asked the person at the desk, he said this normal, it will straighten in a couple of weeks.
I also saw a safe in the room. Last time they charged me for it's use even thought it is not on the email received. He told me I have tell them every time I check in to say I don't want the safe.

I have not had this with other hotels I have stayed. When you stay at a hotel, you want to have a good nights rest and be on the road relaxed. Why does a fairly nice hotel do this Micky Mouse stuff?

I recommend you check your credit charges carefully when staying here :-(

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
To our Wanderer....we appreciate it so much that you keep coming back to stay with us. That says a lot! And you are correct. Always check your receipts...anywhere...everytime. I see the difference in your confirmation and bill upon check out is the safe fee ($1.58). Most hotels just hide the fee in with the rate, but we detail it in your bill and give you the choice to opt out if you don't use the safe. So just mention when you check in what floor you'd prefer, a wake up call if needed and remind us to exempt your safe fee and we will gladly do it. (Of course I do have a daughter going into college and I need all of the $1.58's I can get...wink)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View? Share your experiences!