“Best hotel in Roanoke area” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Roanoke
virginia beach
“Best hotel in Roanoke area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stay in a lot of Marriott properties. I love Residence Inns if I am going to be in one place for several days as I was last week in Roanoke. It is about 1/2 block of an exit for I-581. This hotel is off the city main drag by a couple of blocks, so it was very quiet. There is only one restaurant (Zaxby's) within walking distance, but there are a ton within a mile of driving, mostly the usual suspects -Olive Garden, Applebee's, etc. I found the staff could not do enough for me in terms of directions, recommendations, etc. There is a free hot breakfast with scrambled eggs, potatoes, waffles, some sort of sausage dish, and all of the continental breakfast items. I would have liked turkey sausage, but that's getting pretty picky.
Everything was extremely clean. I felt no need for house cleaning. The public areas were very pleasant. I enjoyed the pool area in the evening when I was done working. They even helped me with my bags when I was leaving. I did not encounter any of the criticisms that I have seen in reviews below. I liked everything about this hotel except, as one gentleman noted, a lack of good wine. There I go getting picky again! Stay here; you'll like it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in July. We checked in and the Matt at the front desk was friendly. Room was nice, beds were comfortable, loved the room. Upon returning one evening, the front doors were locked. My room key had been deactivated due to being in the same pocket as my cell phone. We rang the intercom. The rude lady at the front desk debated whether to let us in. After letting us in, she swiped my card and literally thew it down on the counter (landed on the floor). The following day the maid did not come.. Also breakfast was not that great either.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend but the service here need some work.. :)

Room Tip: Use Marriott's site, NOT Priceline
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
John D, Manager at Residence Inn Roanoke Airport, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are glad that overall you had a good stay and that you would recommend us to your friends. I am sorry that you did not have a postive experiance with entry into our building after hours. As for the breakfast Marriott recently upgraded our complimentary breakfast buffet and we have been getting fantastic reviews from our guests. We hope you will come stay with us again soon.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I had to go to a conference in Roanoke and wanted to bring my family. A good deal of the conference was at the Sheraton which is directly behind this hotel (there's a cut-through to get there). Nice breakfast and comfy bed. Plenty of room for my son to move around. Way better value for the money than the 'conference hotel'.

Swimming pool is outdoor and therefore seasonal; not bad...just is.

The included Free Breakfast is excellent, but seemed to have more variety during the week. Leave a few dollars on the table for the staff...they work just as hard as servers at a 'full-service' restaurant.

Room Tip: Only 1 elevator, so ask for 1st floor or walk it.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your recent stay with us and the postive feedback. We are glad that you found our hotel to be a great value and place for your family to join you while at a conference in Roanoke. As you mention our guest rooms are very spacious, in fact Residence Inn rooms are 50% larger than the average hotel room. We are glad you feel our breakfast is excellent, our staff takes great pride in making sure our complimentary breakfast is hot and tasty. We hope you will stay with us again soon, please tell all of your friends and family about us.
Hendersonville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Clean new hotel next near airport but never heard planes in our room. Staff very nice. Only negative is TV. Must have frequent problems as troubleshooting issues were in the room. Would come back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
We are glad you like our "Wonderful NEW hotel". We actually opened in October of 2007 but work hard everyday to keep the property like new for our guests. I am happy to report that the TV's issues you had have all been replaced with new LCD TV's with HD service coming in the near future. We work hard to make sure our guests want to come back and glad you want to do so. Please tell all of your friends and family about us.
The Great Free State of Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Stayed here in April for a family wedding. I have always been a fan of the Residence Inn brand, but this one is definitely best-in-breed. All common facilities were spotless, manager and breakfast staff were super-friendly and helpful upon arrival, room setup was fantastic. This is a newer Residence Inn and the decor is upgraded and the appliances very new - and really, this is excellent value for money here.

Though I stay at all levels of Marriotts, I love the Residence Inn brand just as much as I love the Ritz-Carlton, though for different reasons - and this is about as good as the Residence Inn gets. Will definitely stay here again if/when travels take me to Roanoke.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
WOW, and thank you so much for the GREAT COMMENTS. We like to feel we are a "superb choice" and "best of the Residence Inn's" too! Our staff pride themselves on being "super friendly" and work hard everyday to make our property "spotless". We look forward to a return visit and hope that you will tell all of your friends and family about us.
jacksonville, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We stay in Marriott properties. A lot. My husband is a Platinum Rewards member. When we decided to spend two weeks in Roanoke over the holidays, the Residence Inn was an obvious choice. We reserved a one bedroom suite with a fireplace.

Pros: Friendly, polite and courteous staff (offered to help me carry laundry to the laundry room, helped me bring in groceries from the car), great location, very quiet, large and well-equipped suite, full size dishwasher and stove with oven (other Residence Inn's I have stayed at had a mini dishwasher and only a two burner cooktop)

Cons: Fireplace did not work properly (attempted to fix twice, but still could not get it to stay on for more than 20 minutes). Housekeeping staff leaves as soon as they are "finished," with all of their rooms, which is usually by noon. So if you are a late riser, forget about having your room serviced (front desk will provide clean towels and a trash bag, but this results in a huge mound of dirty towels and bags of trash). The sheets on the bed were the thinnest, cheapest sheets I have ever seen. I have never seen sheets like this in a Marriott property. We stayed at a Fairfield Inn recently and had better linens. The bed itself was in need of replacement - giant dip in the middle of the mattress. While the room was clean in general, there were some details being ignored - corners in the bathroom had tile/grout debris, a dead stinkbug sat on top of a light fixture for our entire stay, and in our two week visit the kitchen was never cleaned beyond emptying the trash. Kitchen linens were never changed. Amenities provided in other Residence Inns not provided here - liquid dish soap, paper towels. Wireless internet is fast but unstable.

Overall it was a good visit and we will stay here again when we are visiting family. I just can't give it 5 stars - maybe I'm too picky. Great value for the money though.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

The hotel is a block or two off the road, so it's quiet. The place is in great shape and a good residence inn. The one in Harrisonburg, Va really defines a GREAT residence inn - this one is very good. Rooms in good condition as are the public areas. Easy access and quiet. Can't ask for more. Well - maybe some good wine.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
jbdud24, Manager at Residence Inn Roanoke Airport, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Thank you so much for your stay with us and for taking time out to say postive things about our hotel. We strive to give the very best in guest service and product and am glad you enjoyed you stay with us. As the GM of the Roanoke Residence I agree that the newer, larger Residence Inn in Harrisonburg in very nice, glad to be in the same company with our Residence Inn. Hope you will tell all of your friends about us and will stay with us again soon.

Been to Residence Inn Roanoke Airport? Share your experiences!