“good food, not great sushi” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Metro! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 415 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American, Asian, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Jefferson St.
Description: Metro! is downtown Roanoke’s premier restaurant and lounge. Though approaching the decade mark, Metro! continues to set standards for excellent cuisine and nightlife. An experience at Metro! brings to mind comparable restaurants in DC and New York City. Our extensive menu features American and Asian cuisine, with an a la carte steak and seafood selection. Nightly specials highlight unique chef-inspired creations. Our hand-crafted cocktails routinely garner awards from local publications. Our guest DJs are among the best in the world - they tour the globe performing for crowds of thousands, yet always love coming back to Roanoke to play on our state-of-the-art sound system. Come taste the difference - the experience that is Metro!
Roanoke, VA
“good food, not great sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

I have always been happy with the food here. It is moderately priced. There is half price sushi hour on weekdays and it's ok but not great (Ben Gui is much better).

Visited May 2011

Blacksburg, Virginia
“Great everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My fiancé and I dined at Metro recently for a special occasion. The food was, as always, absolutely wonderful. We both ordered the Asian lettuce cup as an appetizer. This was a delicious choice – just the right amount of crunchiness and spiciness. Not only is the lettuce cup gluten free, it’s something you just don’t find anywhere else in Roanoke. I’ve found that to be a common theme at Metro – they always have unique dishes. The service was great and they were very helpful with the questions we had about the menu. The price was a good value too, especially considering the amount of food we got. Metro is one of our favorite restaurants and we’ll definitely eat there again.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boise, ID USA
“Enjoyable evening at Metro!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010 via mobile

Metro! Is decked out w/ holiday decor. It was my first visit, so I didn't quite know what to expect and I hadn't looked at the menu online.  We had dinner here on a Monday evening without reservations, and unfortunately after the sushi special ended. We were shown to a table quite quickly. There was a large party nearby, but our service was fine. There seemed to be a diverse menu. The calamari spicy crusted appetizer was a fairly generous portion and was the best calamari we've ever had, better than we've had in SF or Spain or anywhere in between, so I hope to return to enjoy the sushi special. The shuffling of the plates seemed a bit strange, our plates were taken away before we finished the appetizer. Having had an unexpected holiday lunch, we chose not to have salad. I had the petite steak frittes (generous portion, not fabulous but not bad either), my dining companion had the crab sandwich which she loved. She had a beer & I had a "California" red wine that Dexter recommended that was the perfect pairing with the steak.
For dessert, she had the  raspberry dark chocolate pot de creme which was small, rich, and delicious. The small bite dessert menu offered a variety of choices. Dexter thoughtfully brought 2 spoons, even though I said I'd pass on dessert. We had to get up early to catch a plane so we didn't have dessert cappachino or coffee.
We're both from out of town but will be back if we're in Roanoke. The large TVs over the bar seem somewhat incongruent to the white table cloth fine dining area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Blacksburg, Virginia
“An amazing experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I didn't think this evening could become any more special - but Metro took it to the next level and truly made my memorable evening into something spectacular that I will never forget. I had just accepted a job offer and my boyfriend offered to take me out. Of course I suggested Metro, one of my all time favorite restaurants. We actually stumbled on it on accident while touring art galleries and wine tasting near Roanoke about two years ago, and all evening we were commenting on how lucky we were that we did! The servers, chefs, and hostesses are all so genuine and accommodating. They put in a huge effort to make sure our evening was fantastic. I have tricky dietary restrictions and usually leave restaurants hungry and disappointed, but at Metro I always feel like a princess! The chef made me a fantastic three course meal he created just at that moment, that wasn't like anything on the menu. You can tell he truly enjoys what he does. The amount of care and detail they put into their food is incredible. The menu is diverse and there is something on it that will please just about everyone (and if not they will make you something fantastic that isn't on the menu!), so I always bring my friends to Metro whenever they are visiting.

It seems that every time I go, the meal, service, and ambiance only get better. Tonight was one of my favorite dining experiences ever. We started with a glass of champagne each. They typically don't serve champagne by the glass - but our waiter, without hesitation, mentioned that they already had a wonderful bottle of champagne open, and that it would be no problem to pour us a glass each. My boyfriend got a wonderful appetizer with crab and brie cheese that he said was fantastic and I had a lovely vegetable consomme. For our entree my boyfriend ordered their sushi sampler platter. He is an avid sushi lover and has had sushi from all over the world. Just earlier in the week he was mentioning to our friends that Metro's sushi rivaled the best sushi he had ever had, but tonight, he revealed to me that he likes Metro's sushi better. He says it is the interesting sauces and flavors that truly make it incredible, along with the incredibly fresh fish. My entree was a work of art, and they even added a certain food that I was craving to the dish at the last moment! The service was attentive but not overbearing, professional but not pretentious. They seemed just as excited about my unique one-of a-kind dishes as I did!

For dessert, our waiter suggested a fantastic dessert wine for me, and my boyfriend got a cappuccino that he said was fantastic (his first one!). They have delicious "bite size" desserts, and my boyfriend got a bread pudding. I could smell it from across the table, and it smelled incredible! He absolutely loved the texture and temperature contrast in the dish, as well as the flavor. My dessert was so cute! It was very artistic. Usually all I can eat at restaurants is salad, so to have the waiter inform me as soon as I sat down that the chef had been working on three fantastic courses for me - I was just so excited! It was great to finally be able to eat a beautifully prepared and delicious dessert.

We felt very taken care of, and felt as if we could just relax and enjoy spending time together and enjoy the special occasion. That's one of the things I love the most about Metro: the ambiance. It is extremely romantic, yet fun enough to take friends! Somehow it is both relaxed and makes for an extremely special evening every time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Roanoke, Virginia
“still the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

This place always wows me! The service and Food are on par with New York or Washington. It encompasses everything a big City has to offer. I dined their last Friday with clients. We ate Sushi and an assortment of items of their (European Side.) This is the only place in town with exotic sushi like Sea Urchin. My guest had the veal Sweetbreads and said they tasted like Eric Ripert's. What is great about this place is the energy increases through the evening and by the time you are done with dinner you are in a sophisticated modern lounge with a DJ like in DC. Great after dinner Cocktails and Dexter is a Phenomenal Server!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere