“Exactly what I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 415 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American, Diner, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: On Feb. 13Th, 1930 during the height of the great depression, I.N. "Nick" Bullington opened the 10 stool Texas Tavern and began serving its famous bowls of chile, hamburgers, hotdogs, and cheesy westerns. With a no frills atmosphere and the motto "Give the customer a fair shake" the Texas Tavern has become a landmark and a rite of passage for many locals and visitors alike. Known as "Roanoke's Millionaires Club", it is still run by the same family, now in its 4th generation of ownership.
Suffolk, Virginia
“Exactly what I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014

I've had this place on my bucket list for a few years. I drove out of my way to stop in for a late "second" lunch of the day as I was not sure when I'd be back thru Roanoke again. The ambience is incomparable. The prices are a good deal. I had to have the Cheesy Western. I was expecting a thicker burger but should not have expected that given the price was only about $2.50. Next time, I'll try a bowl-with.

Visited November 2014

“Food tour stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We ate here as part of the Roanoke food tour. We had a cheesy Western, a.k.a. "Cheesy". My fiancé really liked the bread and butter relish. Definitely a greasu spoon dive worth stopping at after a night out....I don't know if I would wait in line though.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Real Greasy Spoon Ambience & Nostalgia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. TT, as the locals often refer to it, is a dinosaur in the food industry, but who wouldn't love to see a dinosaur? It's not fancy, it's not healthy, it is tiny and outdated. It's like stepping back in the history of American fast food, to a time before all the chains and hype. The Texas Tavern, "Roanoke's Millionaires' Club", claims to serve 10,000--11 at a time. It's old chrome and chipped countertops and your servers are an arm's length away as they make your hot dog or burger, maybe with a fried egg on top. It'll be fast, cheap and good and you'll feel like you've travelled back to a time when a quick, affordable meal was something to be savored, not endured. Be warned though, if you ask for ketchup, you'll get it with a side of ridicule of your love of "sissy sauce".

Fantastic late night dive to munch out after you rock out or a great lunch on lazy Saturday. Number 2 on the MUST DO LIST for Roanoke.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Crownsville, Maryland
“Texas Tavern a must stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Best little hotdog/ hamburger place in town. Open since 1930. Friendly cooks. " we seat 1000 people, 10 at a time". Only 10 counter stools, but not too long a wait. We've eaten our food standing. Chili, brkfast., hamburgers, and hotdogs --my fav. Chili dog. Yum! Try it!

Visited June 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Old Chili”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Although served confidently (you'll be back for more), glad I ordered the small to go. Ended up in trash. Very greasy.

Visited June 2014

Been to Texas Tavern? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Texas Tavern, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.