“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

After reading some of the prior negative reviews, I was concerned about staying at this hotel, but being a Marriott platinum level, I thought I would take a chance and form my own opinion. I was upgraded to a suite which was a wonderful room. The staff was really friendly and helped with all of my needs. This property could upgrade their rating to excelllent if they would keep their coffee service warm and fresh all day and if they added a few things like cooked oatmeal to their breakfast menu. I was really pleasantly surprised and enjoyed my three day stay for business. By the way, the Valley View Mall (only about 4 miles away) has everything that anyone could want including a Panera, Starbucks, Barnes&Noble and most of the big department stores.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Berlin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Friendly staff,very clean,spacious and comfortable room. For some unknown reason we were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost. The included breakfast was far more than the usual "continental". Will definitely stay here when in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

As a AAA Rep, I would recommend our members to stay at this hotel. Very Clean and updated hotel. Close to I-81. Comfortable beds, and very peaceful. Did not have a chance to have breakfast, but I'm sure it was good. I stay at a fairfield last fall, and my stay also was great there.
very satisfied.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Conveniently located to I-81 (very close to the exit), this hotel offers a decent room with a very comfortable bed. We arrived after a very long drive and were pretty exhausted and overtired. It was a chilly night. The bedcovers were quite thin and the heater was not working properly. I woke up freezing and could not get the heat to blow warm air. I called the front desk, the gentleman offered to come up and take a look at the heater. I declined the offer employing my general rule about letting strangers come into the room) but asked for some blankets. These promptly arrived and were really helpful.
I lay awake for awhile and could hear the buzz of trucks driving down the interstate. I wondered whether a room on the backside of the hotel would have been quieter. However, I finally fell into a sound sleep and awoke feeling refreshed. I welcomed the lovely mountain view when opening the curtains.
Before we continued on our roadtrip heading south, we drove a few miles on the ring road (581(?)) in Roanoke to get some Starbucks coffee (the coffee at the Fairfield is pretty weak) and pick up some snacks, which we did at a Walmart. Walmart also had very cheap gas!
Would I stay at this Fairfield Inn again? Probably not. If you are on the road and are not too fatigued, it is worth the effort to find a quieter place which has a newer HVAC system. Rates are probably lower for an equivalent hotel further from the Interstate exit too. I have to repeat though that the Fairfield desk clerk was very nice and I appreciated his bringing the blankets up promptly!

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the interstate may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Wautoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

While road tripping the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, we stopped for the night in Roanoke on 10/27/13. It was a Monday night & we just wanted to watch football, eat up all of our leftovers & get a good night's sleep. Chose the Fairfield because they usually have what we want & this one was no exception. It was a big Fairfield, nice enough area with decent curb appeal. Check-in was a breeze. It's 4 stories with2 elevators that must have been updated recently as there was new carpeting in the hallways. Got up to our room (#220) & heard water running?? Was someone already in this room? The key holder said this was our room, so we tried the key & we got in. It was just the toilet running. My husband fixed it & we settled in. It was a spacious room with 2 queen beds, a microwave & fridge in a separate stand, a desk area, dresser with the HD flatscreen TV on, a full length mirror which is good because the bathroom is all in one room. Good internet hook up. Comfy beds & plenty of towels. The place was very quiet for good sleeping. The breakfast room is spacious enough with a good selection: scrambled eggs, sausage patties, waffle maker, the usual muffins/toast, cold cereals, yogurt, hard boiled eggs & fresh fruit mix of cantaloupe, honeydew, orange segments, grapes & pineapple. Didn't get to see much of what was in the area; but there was a BP gas station nearby to gas up & we were off on another great day of road tripping. The Fairfield provided just what we wanted & we were satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

While I am a big fan of Marriott, our experience at this Fairfield Inn was not up to their usual standards. There were two sources of noise that was so loud and disturbing both my wife and I kept waking up throughout the night: 1. The refrigerator hummed and buzzed so loudly, I finally unplugged it in the middle of the night. 2. The wind howled and whistled between the panes of an improperly sealed window. The sound of the wind was so loud it woke us up repeatedly. I did not realize the window was the culprit until morning, when I partially opened it and the noise disappeared, and I could feel the wind coming in through the panes. We complained about both of these issues the next morning. The desk manager wrote them down and, to my amazement, knew all about the problem with the windows. Obviously, other guests have complained. She said they've "tried everything" to fix it, but failed. Trying to fix the problem is not enough if the noise is disturbing guests. If the windows can't be fixed, they should be replaced. I wrote to Marriott Customer Service about this experience. The hotel General Manager sent me an email, telling us that he was refunding 1/2 the cost of our stay, but otherwise blaming us and other hotel guests. Us for not complaining about it during the night (how could we when we didn't know the window was causing the problem?) and guests for not closing the windows properly (ours was double locked). In fairness, everything else about the hotel was fine, but being able to get a good night's sleep is fundamental to a hotel experience and we were unable to.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The staff were helpful with a recommendation to a nearby restaurant that was outstanding (Hollywood's). The breakfast was the standard hot one, but the coffee was weak (should offer the bold blend). The hotel is easy to find near I-81 and Hollins University.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North? Share your experiences!