“Accessible Room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Athens, Georgia
“Accessible Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Although I did not request an accessible room I received one upon my recent check in; I hope this review is helpful to anyone specifically seeking an accessible room review.

The hotel was full during my stay (a Virginia Tech game that weekend), and check in was smooth. I rarely had to wait for an elevator during my stay. Upon arriving at my room I noticed that it did have a button to push to open the door; I did not test it, but it appeared that you would insert your keycard and then hold the button down for five seconds rather than using the handle.

The room was spacious but appeared just like the photos of the two queen room on the website. If you were using a wheelchair or walker I imagine you might want to move the desk chair into the far corner of the room, but that is the only adjustment that jumped out at me. The microwave might have been a little challenging to reach from a wheelchair, but everything else was easy to get to and at a suitable height.

The bathroom was noticeably different and clearly designed for accessibility. The tub/shower featured a fold down bench and a hand held shower. There was a stationary shower head as well, but I could not get it to work. The water did seem to increase in heat a bit over time and the bench is not within arm's reach of the controls; if you are not able to move on your own to adjust the controls I encourage you to wait a few minutes for the water to stabilize before getting in. Additionally, the bench are in the tub is next to the sink; you cannot place your wheelchair next to the bench. It may be challenging to transfer from a wheelchair to the bench without assistance. There are wall bars for support in the tub and on the wall behind and to the left of the toilet. There is minimal countertop around the sink (compared to a standard room). One thing I did notice: there were no tissues in this room. I have a feeling they usually go in the standard bathroom vanity and this adjusted vanity did not allow for them. Towels were placed only on the wall above the toilet. If you were using a wheelchair bath towels would be out of reach.

If you were navigating the breakfast area with a wheelchair or assisting someone using a wheelchair I would think this would be your largest challenge. Again, the hotel was full during my stay. Items on the breakfast buffet are placed very closely together and the area is congested. The coffee is essentially in a corner. Tables and other seating in the area is placed close enough together that I found it challenging to get around the room.

This room was directly across from the vending area and one room away from the elevators.

I would stay here again if the situation called for it, but I'd be just as likely to look at another hotel in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a great compliment to Va Tech Hokie fans who dominated the hotel, probably for the football game. The place was clean, friendly, and relatively near Blacksburg being just off of the interstate. The breakfast buffet was very good for a continental selection. Planning on going back for a game next year. Really enjoyed seeing all of the guests with Hokie shirts on.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Florida, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here for one night - is is close to highway - easy to find - shopping and dining close by. Nice area! The room was very clean and new, staff very friendly. Breakfast was good - waffles, sandwiches, yogurts, fruits - everything you would want - very good coffee. The pool was closed - Jacuzzi inside and nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cedarhurst, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I used this hotel as a stopping point on my way to Gatlinburg, TN. Easy on/off I-81 and in a good location. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and when I asked to change my room, they did it without any question or conversation.
My room overlooked the outdoor pool and it was a bit noisy with children until about 8pm but other than that, there was no extraneous noise.
This Fairfield Inn offered more than the regular Jimmy Dean Biscuits. There was a selection of lower calorie items and this went a long way for me. The turkey/cheese breakfast burrito was excellent and the woman running the breakfast was very friendly, chatty and really seemed to care about the conversations she had.
I will definitely be stopping at this hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We went down to Roanoke for the weekend. This hotel is outside of the city, but a little closer to where we were doing some hiking. The location is close to Hollins (and a Gander Mtn if you need some last minute hiking supplies).

The room was very comfortable, nicer than other Fairfields I've been to. It was clean and a good value for the money. There is an exercise room and an outdoor pool and the whirlpool was a great treat after a long hike.

Breakfast is what I would call, "expanded continental." It included the regular cold cereal and muffin options, but had a waffle maker and breakfast burritos as well. It was enough to keep us tied over until an early dinner. Geraldine, keeper of the breakfast bar, was incredibly warm and welcoming. She took the time to learn each person's names and introduce us to each other. Fantastic service!

All and all a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dearborn, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

If you like quaint, inviting, and clean the Fairfield will accomodate you! Service=great, Staff=friendly, Value=depends on your rate, Cleaniness=great housekeeping, Location= perfect (not too busy)

A kind tip to the hotel management "Discard the old bed sheets".

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

I just stayed in this hotel last weekend on my way home to penn. from Alabama. I really didn't expect much because it's not around much and is located just off the highway I could not have been more wrong. I was thoroughly blown away by the customer service. I work at a five star hotel so I expect a lot typically. Now I must say that I arrived at 2am and departed at 9am, but I was treated like I was an extended stay resident. The breakfast is one of the best continental around, partly because of the assortment of options but primarily because of the women that tends to the breakfast. She was absolutely phenomenal with my tired three year old son who is a grouch in the morning especially after a long car ride. Thank you and look forward to seeing you on my next trip south.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North? Share your experiences!