Save Saved
You added The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Washington, DC
“Great second visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

This was our second visit to the Hotel Roanoke. We really enjoy this historic hotel. The lobby and other common areas are beautiful and well maintained. I've read other reviews on this site that complain of small room size. I suppose a hotel of this age and size has a variety of room sizes but we felt our room (a standard king) was rather spacious and well appointed. We happened to arrive in Roanoke well before we anticipated and didn't imagine that we would be able to check in so early (before 1 p.m.) but the friendly staff said it would be fine. We enjoy the proximity to Roanoke's downtown area--just a short walk across the pedestrian bridge. The staff is friendly and accomodating. A bonus is, that as a Doubletree property, the hotel roanoke has the really good cookies at check-in (really at any time if you ask).

• Liked — HIstoric Property
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

1,017 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Jefferson, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

A very difficult experience trying to book an internet- advertised package at the historic Hotel Roanoke resulted in a good faith effort on the part of the hotel. There was no way to click on their advertised holiday package in order to book it on the internet, so I went to the (not toll-free) number posted. I was then switched to Doubletree central reservations that knew nothing about the package price & told me that the website posting it was a third-party site - they had nothing to do with it. When I called the hotel back, I asked for in-house reservations, but they were not "working." The front desk tried to book the package but was unable to; they said they were blocked out by the computer. I had many apologies, but I paid for 2 calls & spent quite a bit of time on each one as they tried to figure out what to do. They promised to call back in the morning with better information. There seemed to be no coordination between the website advertisement & the ability to book this "special" package.
However, they did indeed call back in the morning & honored the package price as it had been posted. They also called friends we were traveling with to do the same. We were glad to get the advertised package price & were satisfied. The hotel went a step further however. When we arrived, we were given the Governor’s Suite at no additional cost above the special price at which we had reserved a room (breakfast was included in this package.) It was a lovely gesture by the hotel that did not have to be made & a very satisfying end to our reservation troubles. Our stay, needless to say, was lovely.

• Liked — Very roomy!
  • Disliked — A bit "tattered"
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Yorktown, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

I have just returned from a 3-day convention at the Roanoke Hotel and cannot recommend the hotel under any circumstances. We were 550 women strong, and the Hotel required that all room reservations be paid for in advance - in my case 6 months in advance. When the reservation for three rooms was made (and paid for) we specifically requested that the three rooms be on the same floor. The reservation clerk assured us there would be no problem." A call one month in advance of our stay to confirm that we would be on the same floor recieved the same assurance. Upon arrival we found that we were assigned rooms on three different floors and nothing we said or did would change their minds. Later we found that we were not the only ones who had been separated from friends and family - one group with 9 rooms reserved found they were spread out on five different floors.

Further, the representative who welcomed us to the hotel stated that the checkout time of 11:00 on Sunday morning would be extended for 1 hour for anyone who requested it. Unfortunately, they negelected to tell their registration people, and anyone making such a request was sharply denied and told they would be charged for another day if they had not vacated the room by 11:00. This really imposed a hardship for some of our members since the conference did not close until 11:30.

Needless to say, the women at this convention were not "happy campers." As for myself, I will not return to the Roanoke hotel under any circumstances!

Stayed September 2008
roanoke, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

my husband and i spent a night here upon returning from an out of town trip to celebrate our wedding anniversary. our king superior room was absolutely incredible. four poster bed, settee, plenty of room, beautifully decorated with tapestries and wall mirrors. there are lots of nice touches such as an actual bath rug in the bathroom. the only trouble we had was a very loud, possibly drunk party next door that shouted and slammed doors far into the night. however, after alerting hotel security at 2 am. the noise was taken care of. overall, our stay was a wonderful experience and i look foward to returning.

• Liked — the room, the warm cookie at check in
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Stayed here for business for 2 nights. I agree with everyone about the valet parking - it's worth it!! It was raining the day I left and I had to walk to self parking, which is not far, but got wet! Anyway, excellent staff and hotel. They gave you cookies (warm and soft) upon check-in, which was a nice touch.

The only complaint I had was they placed me in room 168 where it was across from an elevator, an exit stairway, a maintenance closet, AND the railroad ran right in front. It was VERY hard to sleep past 6am if you are not a heavy sleeper. Around that time, the elevator door starts to chime, the closet or stairway door opens and closes, and the maintenace staff conversation starts.

I still highly recommend this hotel, just try not to stay in this hallway near the end unless you're a heavy sleeper!

• Liked — The stately feel
  • Disliked — Noise in front of my room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

If I'm in Roanoke, VA for business or pleasure, this is always my hotel of choice. I love the feeling you get when you pull up to the front doors and walk into the lobby . . .it is grand, yet cozy and charming. You'll see people in shorts and t-shirts and people in much dressier attire (often ther efor weddings).
I would advise that you take advantage of valet parking. For just $5 extra dollars (self park is $7, valet is $12), you'll save yourself a bit of an uphill walk from the parking lot, whihc isn't a huge deal unless it is raining, or extremely hot/cold.
The updates they've made over the past 12 months have helped to modernize the hotel, while still keeping the old charm. Flat panel TV's, new bedding, some updates in the bathrooms, etc. Room service food is very good, although expensive.
I love being able to walk over to the Market Square area, where you will find an array of local restaurants and the farmer's market area. I also love the rocking chairs on the front porch of the hotel -- a great place to have a glass of wine and people watch.

• Liked — Location and overall feel
  • Disliked — Food is expensive
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Merritt Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

We recently went on a long weekend escape to Roanoke Virginia and stayed at the Hotel Roanoke, despite some of the less-than-stellar reviews on this site. We went for no other reason than to relax and explore the area. I'm a fan of old historic hotels and I thought the Hotel Roanoke did a great job of maintaining the character - yet modernizing it's amenities. It was a beautiful property with a lot of charm.

The room wasn't large, but was comfortable and quiet - both high priorities for us. Our A/C didn't seem to be working well on the first day. We called their careline and it was taken care of immediately.

You can't beat the location. The pedestrian bridge that connects the hotel property to the market area made it a breeze to walk downtown to shops and restaurants. We choose the hotel valet service to park the car. While I do hate paying to park, they were responsive and our car was always waiting for us when we got to the front. Much better than most hotels we have stayed at.

We would definitely stay here again if ever in the Roanoke area.

• Liked — The historic charm
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Address: 110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016
Location: United States > Virginia > Roanoke
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#1 Romantic Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Business Hotel in Roanoke
#3 Family Hotel in Roanoke
Hotel Class:4 star — The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel 4*
Built in 1882, the fully-restored Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a member of IACC (International Association of Conference Centers), Hotel Roanoke is pleased to offer world-class lodging facilities, including newly renovated guest rooms and 63,000 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space. The hotel's business facilities include 35 meeting rooms, a fixed-seat lecture hall, two boardrooms, conference center lounge and an elegant hotel ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,400 guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Hotel Roanoke And Conference Center, a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel
Hotel Roanoke Doubletree

If you own or manage The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.