“Great character and service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

You added The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $109!
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Lakeland, Florida, United States
“Great character and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The history and character draws you in but the service makes you want to stay. Especially impressed with the service at front desk. Disappointed in having to pay for wine and beer in the hospitality suite.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Ellsworth T, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I will share your review with our team and hope if your travels bring you back to the Roanoke Valley, we will again have the opportunity to serve you.

Gary Walton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Mount Pleasant, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I love going back home to the Hotel Roanoke. I can always count on southern charm!! I came back to go to a Va Tech football game with my boyfriend who had never stayed at the Hotel Roanoke. WOW was he impressed. You guys really made me look good. At the lounge after a fabulous dinner he asked for a special Bailey's milkshake and they made it with a smile and it was spot on!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Alisa B, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. It was wonderful to have you back home and its wonderful you shared us with your special someone. I hope there are many more games and times we can welcome you back in the future.

Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here shortly after Christmas. The lobby was still decorated for the holidays and absolutely magical. Check-in was swift and we were provided two very welcome & warm chocolate chip cookies. The room was big and the bed comfortable. Perhaps most interesting were the historic exhibits of maid uniforms and debutantes ball tickets collected over the years. Very conveniently located to downtown Roanoke via the railroad bridge.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tantalika, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. The holidays are a special time in the Roanoke Valley and I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to experience it. I hope if you have the opportunity to come back and experience the season this year. We look forward to serving you.

Moneta, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great one night stay here. Though we have lived in the area for years, it was our first experience staying at the historic Hotel Roanoke. We had a two-room suite that the faced downtown Roanoke and the Mill Mountain Star. Very comfortable beds and accommodations. Had access to executive lounge but the breakfast offered there was disappointing. As Hilton Honors members, we should have been offered breakfast in the dining room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear choclabs, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. It is always a pleasure to host guests that live in the area. I will be sharing your review with our staff.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I checked into the Hotel Roanoke with somewhat diminished expectations based on my last stay nearly a decade ago. Amazingly, even entering unenthused, the total mediocrity of the property managed to surprise me.

Location is perfect and the bones of the hotel are beautiful. Easy stroll to the increasingly interesting restaurant scene of Roanoke and really couldn't be better. The edifice of the hotel is gorgeous and classic.

Check-in was relatively smooth although I was disappointed that our room contained two double beds. Not queens – doubles. I didn't expect much the way of upgrade as an HHonors Gold member which is exactly what I got – nothing. Small editorial comment: there is plenty of space in the rooms for queens rather than doubles – not sure why they don't make the move. Similarly, the hotel seems to have proportionally few king bedded rooms.

The room itself long ago crossed the line from "classic and charming" to "old and tired." The bathroom contains one sink and virtually no counter space – no chance of two people leaving their toiletries out concurrently. The outlets built into the lamp on the desk did not work. The HVAC – while functionally excellent – is comically and almost impossibly loud. Do people not check this kind of thing before installing in hotel rooms? I literally woke up each time it clicked on all night long.

The gym was excellent. Good cardio equipment with TV build into the console.

Meanwhile, I returned to my room after my workout to see that housekeeping had come. Unfortunately, they did not notice (apparently) a towel on the bed. They literally made the bed and just left a towel sitting there.

There seemed to be more housekeeping carts and carts with linens than I have ever seen in a hotel. The hallways were literally littered with them which was a far cry from how classier hotels handle housekeeping.

At check-out – the night after a sold-out hotel – there was a line of literally 14 people trying to settle up. How did they fail to anticipate that a full hotel would lead to many people checking out at the same time and to make appropriate staffing decisions. There were only two people at the front desk – one for HHonors members and one for the proletariat. No worries, I'll check out on my TV. Oh wait, no I won't, it's broken. No bill under the door to review, no functioning system on the TV. Great.

In a nutshell, it's actually sad to see a property that could be great and should be great be so incredibly poor. I don't know enough about the hotel market in Roanoke to determine whether it could support competition, but a renovated downtown boutique-type hotel would be very healthy in creating another option. The issue is that most other hotels in the area are out of downtown, so location becomes a key part of the decision making process.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear verysnobbytraveler, Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your comfort and satisfaction.

jtgonzo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I drove up for a 1-night getaway. We hadn't stayed here before, but the location, right by Market Square, looked convenient, and it was. It's just a few minute walk to downtown. This is an historic hotel, and the public spaces are impressive. The rooms are more modern and feel like a typical Doubletree or similar class hotel. The room itself was a bit small, but clean and comfortable. The only issue we had was that the shower in the morning was barely lukewarm. But when I mentioned it at the desk when checking out they apologized and asked what I thought would be a reasonable discount. That was completely satisfactory to me, and I would definitely stay again if visiting downtown Roanoke.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear jtgonzo, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I apologize for the inconvenience experience and am glad to see resolution was made. Thank you for sharing this with us and we will be sure to review this with our staff. I hope if your travels bring you back to Roanoke that you will again choose us for your accommodations.

Roanoke, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Hotel Roanoke is a beautiful hotel. I have stayed for pleasure and conferences. Every year we keep going back because of people like Elvis and Lisa. They are kind and professional. They make my experience at the hotel most pleasurable and it would not be the same without them. I'd recommend this hotel a million times over!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Emily W, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. We appreciate the recommendation and I will be sure to pass along the kind words to the team. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Gary Walton

Been to The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Address: 110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016
Location: United States > Virginia > Roanoke
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#1 Business Hotel in Roanoke
#1 Romantic Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Family Hotel in Roanoke
Hotel Class:4 star — The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel 4*
Built in 1882, the fully-restored Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a member of IACC (International Association of Conference Centers), Hotel Roanoke is pleased to offer world-class lodging facilities, including newly renovated guest rooms and 63,000 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space. The hotel's business facilities include 35 meeting rooms, a fixed-seat lecture hall, two boardrooms, conference center lounge and an elegant hotel ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,400 guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Hotel Roanoke And Conference Center, a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel
Hotel Roanoke Doubletree

If you own or manage The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.