Save Saved
You added The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
High Point, North Carolina
“An old friend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Having grown up in Roanoke, I have always admired the old girl, but until recently, have never had the occasion to stay there, and what a stay it was. Va. Tech and Doubletree have done a wonderful job in bring her back to her past glory, and additions have made her even more attractive. The lobby is wonderful, full of little nooks to meet with friends, which was our reason to be there. The service was great, check in a breeze, and the breakfast, though not cheap, was excellent. Being an older property, do not expect "cookie cutter" rooms, but do expect a wonderful environment, with everything elegant and functioning. Spend a little more and stay there on your next trip to Roanoke. you will not regret it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Don W, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. We are honored and thrilled to have served you during your stay as it is our community members that have made this hotel special for so long! I am glad you had the chance to stay with us and hope we will have many more opportunities to serve you again.

1,042 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at this hotel in downtown Roanoke. This is an old, railroad hotel that has been restored to beyond its original splendor. The restoration is simply amazing. The lobby is incredible, with mahogany paneling and beautiful artwork. Our room was great - king bed, beautiful furniture, perfectly clean, and the bathroom was perfect, with details including a lighted make-up mirror. We ate supper in the hotel restaurant and the food was fantastic. I ate cedar plank salmon, and Cindy ate shrimp and grits. My sister had the crab-stuffed trout, and I believe that may have been the best dinner. The girls shared bananas foster for desert - perfect! There was live music playing, and although the musicians were very good, it was too loud at our table and it was difficult to converse. We also ate the buffet breakfast in the morning, and it was absolutely fantastic. I don't think I have ever received better service both in the restaurant and in the hotel. I believe this may be one of the best hotel stays we have every had - ever.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rhud12345, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. I loved your pictures during your stay and appreciate the kind words. We strive daily to present the absolute best in product, service and experience and it is wonderful to see our standards met and delivered. We are honored to serve you and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again!

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel dates to the 1880's and has lots of character, beauty and history. My main concern (even if you're not disabled) is the hike to the parking lot. The hotel is beautifully positioned on a hill overlooking Roanoke.

The problem is the parking lot (7$ a night for self-parking/self hiking) is at the bottom of that sizable hill.

If you are disabled, you will have to use their valet parking service (mo money) or be sure your wheelchair is powered and fully charged.

I eventually discovered a "shortcut" to the parking lot through the workout room/pool area, but this still involved quite a few steps down the steep hill.

One advantage of the hotel is its direct connection to a walkway over the railroad tracks to old downtown Roanoke.

It's a rather nice downtown with many restaurants and shops; reminded me of Portland, Maine.

So, you can leave your car parked and walk/explore the downtown area.

RE: the railroad tracks; this hotel is next to a rather busy set of tracks with trains passing by quite frequently, but surprisingly, not sounding their horns. I didn't mind them too much.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side face the railroad tracks...you will hear freight trains passing by quite frequen...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear boandjill, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I am sharing your review with our staff and will look to implement corrective measures for the issues and concerns you posted about. I hope if you visit Roanoke again soon that you will again give us a chance to serve you.

west columbia sc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed here with my daughter on what was planned to be an overnight stop. Arrived late at night and upon waking the next morning and walking across the sky bridge into town we decided to stay another night. The hotel is rich in history, a beautiful landmark. If you want a new sleek hotel don't stay here but if you can appreciate the rich history that this hotel has to offer you will not be disappointed. The staff was friendly and attentive. The town is adorable, very quaint with many options for dining as you stroll the streets. Felt like we were on a movie set. Will return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear laura m, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. What a wonderful review to read and I am thrilled you all stayed an extra night. Wonderful things are happening in Roanoke and your review speaks very highly to momentum the City has. I hope you have the opportunity to again stay with us in the future. We look forward to serving you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've stayed in many hotels in and around Roanoke, but had never made it here. I was hoping to love the place, since it is quite striking from the outside, and the years' worth of renovations have been done with an eye toward keeping the old feel. Unfortunately, the hotel falls way short in comfort. They're very small, no closet space, cramped with chintzy old furniture that's long past charming and into shabby, and the bathroom felt jammed in, was pretty decrepit and featured no exhaust so the room was like a jungle for an hour or two after every shower.

This was an anniversary trip for us (coupled with a trail marathon), and upon booking I requested a room higher up and away from the noise, as that was a tip I'd read in a review. When I arrived, I found they hadn't even remembered to book us a room with a King bed, which I'd booked, and the desk appeared barely able to get us a room with a single king. They ended up giving us a handicapped access room, which turned out to be a horrible, horrible choice. Near the elevator, the room suffered from the thin walls of old construction, and since they pack this place full of as many wedding receptions as they can every weekend (3 in one night when we were there, I was told), the traffic in and out of the elevators was excruciating. We could hear every obnoxious drunk, even those who were trying to be quiet. Most weren't. The staff had, apparently, put out a sign by the elevators for guests to be courteous to others. When I awoke at 4:30 a.m. to some noise and went into the hallway to check it out, someone was in the act of stealing the sign, dropped it, and bolted.

I suppose I should have expected this kind of thing from our time sipping drinks on the porch in front of the traffic circle, as we saw plenty of folks liquored up on their way IN for the receptions, including one guy who let his kids out the back of his truck and waved off the valet until he could get back around to the drivers side door to finish the bottle of Miller he had in the cupholder.

So anyway, it's not the hotel's fault that the guests are noisy, but drunken, loutish guests are a big part of the business model, so you're going to have to endure them. If the rooms can't keep the noise out, they're not worth the money, in my opinion. The doors are rigged so they all slam, so even if the drunken wedding guests weren't shouting, their walking back and forth at all hours produces an endless series of sleep-interrupting slams.

I've stayed in worse places in Roanoke. I've stayed in places in Roanoke that had dead cockroaches in the bathroom and some prior guests short 'n' curlies in the bathroom linens. But at those places, I didn't expect much. At the Hotel Roanoke, I had expectations, and they were missed.

I will continue to visit Roanoka a few times a year, but I won't be returning to the Hotel Roanoke. I love the history entombed within its walls, and the little hallway exhibits that make it a living museum. It's a fine place to look around, but you'll sleep much better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Find a room at a more modern competitor. Just come here for drinks one night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TetanusCreek, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. We apologize for the inconvenience experienced. We strive daily to present the very best in product, service and experience and unfortunately did not live up to or meet our set expectations. I will share your review with our staff as it is devastating to no deliver on our promise. I do hope you will give us another chance if your travels bring you back to the valley.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed one night as a stopover on long road trip. I don't know if I would have found this place without a recommendation from my brother. I'm so glad I listened to him! From check in to check out, everything was excellent. I asked for a recommendation for dinner at check in, and the suggestion from the young lady was spot on. We were able to use the skyway to walk to town for dinner. The gym was one of the best I've encountered at a hotel, which was a problem when I wanted to keep working out instead of getting on the road in the morning! Our room was well appointed, although I did miss a refrigerator, but since we were only there one night, I made do. We had breakfast there in the morning, which was a very nice buffet. My first time in Roanoke, but I would return, and stay no where else but the Hotel Roanoke.

Room Tip: Maybe not worth it to all, but the view of the Roanoke star at night was beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bclass7, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. We are honored to come via recommendation and are thrilled we had the opportunity to serve you! Thank you for the kind words and we look forward to again serving you if your travels bring you to southwest Virginia.

Safe Travels,
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just came back from my friend's wedding and we stayed in this lovely and historic hotel. If you're staying in the area this is a great hotel to stay at. It has a great victorian feel to it with a very characterful atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear HistoryBuff2086, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. We appreciate the kind words and hope if your travels bring you back to the area, you will again choose us for your accommodations.

Gary Walton

Been to The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Address: 110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016
Location: United States > Virginia > Roanoke
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#1 Romantic Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Family Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Business Hotel in Roanoke
Hotel Class:4 star — The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel 4*
Built in 1882, the fully-restored Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a member of IACC (International Association of Conference Centers), Hotel Roanoke is pleased to offer world-class lodging facilities, including newly renovated guest rooms and 63,000 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space. The hotel's business facilities include 35 meeting rooms, a fixed-seat lecture hall, two boardrooms, conference center lounge and an elegant hotel ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,400 guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Hotel Roanoke And Conference Center, a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel
Hotel Roanoke Doubletree

If you own or manage The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.