“Fulfilled a life-long wish!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

You added The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $149!
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glen Carbon, Illinois, United States
“Fulfilled a life-long wish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I grew up in Roanoke, and frequently visited the Hotel Roanoke for various reasons - trade shows, performances, and the peanut soup in the Regency Dinign Room was always a special treat when we brought home high grades on our report cards! I never had the chance to stay there, though. While on our honeymoon, my wife and I decided to visit my childhood hometown, and where else would we stay but the Hotel Roanoke?!? From the moment we drove up, it was a first-class experience! Check-in was friendly and quick. We had a room on the Executive Level, which provided excellent snacks and drinks in the lounge. The room itself was very comfortable, and had a magnificent view of the Mill Mountain Star above the adjacent Taubman Museum of Art. The walkway over the railroad yard provided quick and convenient access to the Market area in downtown, with a great selection of shops, restaurants, and bars/nightclubs. The only less-than-stellar remark I have is that, like all Hilton properties, they charge $10 a day for WiFi. Our stay at the Hotel Roanoke was an amazing eperience, and the fulfillment of a life-long wish!

Room Tip: City View/Mountain View rooms are absolutely worth the upcharge!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Andy L, thank you for your review of the hotel and for spending such a special occasion with us. We are honored to be a part of your special day and certainly appreciate all the kind words. I hope you have the opportunity to spend many more memories with us in the future. Congratulations!

Gary Walton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

The facade of the hotel is vey historic and I felt like ice stood back in time. The lobby (one of them) is very ample to walk around with plenty of seating areas unlike other modern hotels. The reception was quite small but I guess they are preservating the history of the hotel.

The elevator had carpet! And the hallways of The hotel were about 6 feet wide. This is not your typical one-straight hallway. It had several inner corridors so make sure you read the signs when getting to your room. It could be a little bit of a walk.

The room itself was very square and for the first time I found the bathroom not to be right next door when opening the door. Ten room had a small window but the drapery made it seem very long. I'm not a fan of old/antique furnishings, but it sort of work with the theme of the hotel. I would have like to have an eclectic look ( for example an ornogamic chair which is more comfortable with and the look of an old desk) but it was ok. I didn't spent time sitting on that chair though.

The thing that I like the most was the removable make up mirror with light. Thank you!!!! And of course an ample bathroom ( even thought the vanity was a little higher than normal since it was decorated with an antique piece). Overall it was good and the staff was nothing but friendly.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear CecibelB, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you have an opportunity to come and visit us again soon! Happy Holidays!

Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a beatiful old hotel that seems well maintained. The best feature is the location near a walkway to downtown Roanoke. It was great to get up in the morning and walk downtown for breakfast and again later in the day. The hotel room seemed a little cramped, but clean and pleasant. The staff could have been a little friendlier, but no problems. Also, the pool is a little odd, very small and apparently filled with salt-water, but it was nice to have it there on an August day. We were at the end of a summer family vacation and got an OK weekend rate, but I might hesitate if paying full-price during a busy period.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at The Hotel Roanoke. Upon arrival the valet were extremely courteous and helpful. We were able to get an early check-in and be in our room within 10 minutes of arrival. The corner room we were given was very spacious and clean and had wonderful views of the Roanoke Star and downtown. Room service was timely and the staff was very polite! We are from Roanoke and are very familiar with the Hotel Roanoke but every time we stay we are always pleasantly surprised with the superb service we receive. I recommend this hotel to everybody coming to the Roanoke area due to the first-rate staff, the grandeur of the building and also its close proximity to downtown.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sheila S, thank you for your review of the hotel. We are always honored when our friends from the area have an opportunity to experience the hotel. I appreciate the kind words and will share them with our staff! Happy holidays!

rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A comfortable hotel situated very close to downtown (that you can easily reach through a bridge by walking) . Warm decorated in general but particularly nice for the Xmas season. The room was large and nice, a little noisy the heating air conditioning. The restaurant is apparently of good level, but the selection of food is typical american and not international. Limited the selection of soups; how can they offer a "peanuts soup" ?? They served the icecream in the soup plate. They were surprised considering strange the request to season the stawberries with sugar and lemon. I recommend this hotel but not the restaurant because too expensive respect to the service and food. Paola A.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear paola a, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. In regards to peanut soup, it is a heritage dish that has been served at The Hotel Roanoke since 1940. I will share your review with our Chef and see if we can liven up the menu with more international cuisine. Happy holidays!

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Hotel Roanoke offers a special holiday brunch in thier dining room which is excellent.
The selections of food offered were limited , but what was offered was delicious.
Be sure to try thier soups; the she-crab soup was amazing and their signature peanut soup was also wonderful.
The decor was beautifully done for the holiday season and I was especially pleased to eat at tables that had lovely white linen tableclothes !
Service was great and the hot cider drink was a nice touch to finish the meal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Allison S, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I will share your review with our staff as our Food & Beverage team works extremely hard during the holiday season and it's wonderful to read experiences that complimentary. I hope you have a chance to visit us again soon!

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is a very short walk to downtown where there are several nice restaurants and shops. It is decorated beautifully for the Holidays with many Christmas trees throughout the hotel decorated by different groups and businesses throughout the city. The room is very nice and I had a fabulous view of the city and the mountains behind it. I cannot sleep on down and the down alternative pillows are some of the most comfortable that I have had in a hotel. The only reason for not giving them 4 stars is room service. I was traveling on business and on a tight schedule. I ordered lunch the first day and it took 10 minutes for them to answer the phone. The chicken sandwich was mediocre. The next morning I tried ordering breakfast but it was going to take 30 minutes and I just couldn't wait that long and they didn't offer to rush it knowing that I couldn't wait that long. Everything else here was great!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sandymish, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations when visiting the Roanoke Valley. I apologize for the inconvenience with your meal service. I am sharing your review with our staff to put corrective measures in place. I thank you for sharing your review with us and hope you will come stay with us again.

Gary Walton

Been to The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Address: 110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016
Location: United States > Virginia > Roanoke
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#1 Romantic Hotel in Roanoke
#1 Business Hotel in Roanoke
#1 Family Hotel in Roanoke
Hotel Class:4 star — The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel 4*
Built in 1882, the fully-restored Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a member of IACC (International Association of Conference Centers), Hotel Roanoke is pleased to offer world-class lodging facilities, including newly renovated guest rooms and 63,000 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space. The hotel's business facilities include 35 meeting rooms, a fixed-seat lecture hall, two boardrooms, conference center lounge and an elegant hotel ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,400 guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, getaroom.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Hotel Roanoke And Conference Center, a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel
Hotel Roanoke Doubletree

If you own or manage The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.