“Doesn't live up to the reputation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

You added The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fall Rates from $119!
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Roanoke, VA
“Doesn't live up to the reputation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I'm a local and had to stay here for a few nights as a result of our power going down from a big storm in the area, but it's not my first stay. We stayed here once before (our wedding night about 5 years ago) and frankly my opinion of the place has not changed. Although I'm sure Hotel Roanoke has lovely uber-expensive rooms, their standard King rooms are nothing to write home about. Don't get me wrong, they're decent, but as my headline suggests, they just don't live up to the price or reputation. Nice, clean room with a comfortable bed, but nothing spectacular.

The other thing I absolutely cannot stand about Hotel Roanoke is that they nickel-and-dime you for EVERYTHING. Parking? Extra. Breakfast? Extra. Need a mini fridge? Oh that'll be another $10 a night please. You want true high-speed internet? Fork over another $9.95 a day. Need a hair dryer? Well I hoped you packed one cause they don't have 'em! It is absolutey ABSURD!! Run-down motels offer these basic ammenities for free so why can't the prestigious Hotel Roanoke do the same? Speaking of run-down motels--our shower had black mildew growing in the grout lines of the tile. Seriously, Hotel Roanoke?!? By far the biggest scam going in the city. Wish I had the opportunity to try out one of their luxury rooms and could afford their breakfast, but if you're looking for just a decent place to crash, stay elsewhere and save yourself some money.

I really hoped that this unexpected stay was going to be better than our first (particularly given the circumstances), but unfortunately that wasn't the case. This Roanoke resident won't be back any time soon and I plan to revoke my recommendation to stay here when family comes in from out-of-town to visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have never paid so much for a hotel room in my life and recieved crappy service. On Friday, our shower head was leaking and our tv remote was not working. So I went down stairs at about 6pm and they said they would send someone up...Never did! So I had to go down the next morning (Saturday) to get it taken care of. They sent Robert the matience guy up he fixed the shower head then replaced the batteries in the remote....The remote still didnt work. So I had to call again and the remote got replaced. So once the remote was working the TV channels were pixelating...So I had to call again to get it fixed. Then I called for towels and washclothes because we were out. An hour later the cleaning lady knocked on the door and mind you we had the "DO NOT DISTURBE SIGN OUT" and I had to argue with her for 10 mins that we didnt need the room cleaned. So I went down stairs and spoke to the manager on duty (who was a resturant manager)Emily and I explained to her what was going on and she said my family can come down today or in the am to get food on her......Well still never recieved washclothes or towels....My husband said it took 3 hrs to get towels and they forgot the wash clothes. So I had to walk down stairs to get washclothes...Then my husband told me to go downstairs to double check about the dinner for free....Well I spoke to Joseph about this and Emily didnt tell him crap. So he told me he was going to call me and let me know what was going on. About 15 mins later he said that they were going to charge me 119 a nite from the 159. So I said ok. (this was all on Saturday). The next morning (sunday) I saw the bill in the door and only 1 night was 119 so I had to go back down stairs and spoke to susanne and she corrected it. I am sorry but I could have stayed at a MOTEL 8 and delt with all the BS I delt with here for a cheaper price. I know it was Miss VA week at the hotel but that is no excuse for the BAD service my family and I recieved while staying here. This is suppose to be a "high class" hotel. No its not. The manager Steve called me and left a voicemail. So I called him back went straight to voicemail. Hopefully he calls back. I doubt when I come back next year or if we do that I will stay at this hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Michelle, I am glad we had the opportunity to speak and discuss the issues presented. We will be reviewing your posting with our staff to ensure these issues are addressed immediately.

Steve Crawford
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Wife and I stayed here for a business/pleasure trip. We found the valet pushy and rude while we tried to unload our luggage, maybe because we like to do it ourselves and just do not prefer valet parking. Upon checking in we were given a room that we did not request ( a smaller room). My wife went down and asked the front desk to correct while I waited upstairs with all the luggage (for 20 mins). I must say at this point I was not happy. But my wife came back with the correct room and a apology from the front desk. The room was excellent, clean with nice furnishing. I am a big bed critic and the bed was very comfortable so comfortable we both over slept the next morning. We had dinner at the Pine Room and it was good the potatoe cakes were really good.
I think it is fair to mention that there was a power outage in Roanoke and a lot of locals checked in after us to find relief from the 100deg temps and could be the reason we experienced the wrong room and valet agitation. The only other complaint is the self park is a little walk from the hotel but that can be avoided by valet which is only 12 dollars. We have return trips to Roanoke and may stay here again. The hotel is beautifully decorated and I would recommend to friends and family if they are visiting Roanoke.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear RHSBMF, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad to read that you experience was straightened out in a timely manner after the inconveniences experience upon arriving. We will address your review with our staff to ensure corrective measures are put into place. I do hope that when you're visiting the area again you will choose our historic property for your accommodations.

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Staid for one night as a stopover; really wasn't expecting much, but pleasantly surprised. Check in and valet were efficient, all staff very pleasant, nice room, room service was promt even as we arrived fairly late. We had breakfast there, and it was good as well.

Value for price is very good as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AandTMD, thank you for your review. I am glad we exceeded expectations and hope you will continue to seek the Hilton family of brands. Thank you for choosing us and I hope if you're in the area again in the future, you will choose us for your accommodations.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Two vacation nights here, room was as hotel, beautifully renovated and elegant. Bathroom was a little cramped but probably restrained by original layout. Staff were very pleasant and Executive lounge well maintained and provisioned. After dark good view of the Star from front of hotel which is furnished with rocking chairs. Easy access to downtown by pedestrian walkway. Well worth a stay when doing the Blue Ridge Pakway, Bedford etc.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Tonyitfc, thank you for your review of the hotel and for visiting us from abroad! We’re glad you had a chance to experience our warm and caring service along with our delicious cookie at check in. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a very impressive hotel - a beautiful, historic facility with pleasant service. Our room was large and comfortable with excellent bedding. We were a bit dismayed by the second day service however. We were not given clean glassware or replacement toiletry supplies. We thought it was reasonably priced and good value for a hotel of this type though parking was $7/night ($12 valet) and wi-fi was $9.95/day. The mirrored bird by the entrance was deemed to be tacky and inappropriate for a historic hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear ace4444, thank you for your review of the hotel. Please accept our apologies regarding the inconveniences of your second night stay. I will look into this and ensure that it's immediately corrected. The Hokie Bird was gifted to us from Virginia Tech and exemplifies our partnership with the university since 1995. The Hotel is owned by the Virginia Tech Real Estate Foundation. If ever in Blacksburg, Va. these Hokie Birds are very prominent around town. I hope when traveling to Roanoke again, you will choose us for your accommodations.

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night - I had booked a king size bed on the executive floor. My flights were delayed so I called the hotel to let them know I was still coming. On arrival, depsite my call, my room type was not available and I ended up on the 4th floor in room with two double beds. The room itself was nice but it was very frustrating to have paid the extra amount for the executive level, free wifi and access to the lounge. They did give me a card to access the lounge which was smaller then a guest room and had sparse breakfast options. the staff at the hotel walk around with radios or headsets that they talk so loudly into that you can hear them in your room as they are walking by talking into the headset. The hotel itself is goregous but there are so many things that need updating to make it feel like a Hilton property. I used to be Gold with Hilton and switched over to Marriott a few years ago, this property did not make me regret my decision.

Room Tip: Don't bother booking the "executive level" it is on the first floor and the "exec...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear SusanG096, thank you for your review of the hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your recent visit. I am addressing the issues presented in your posting with our staff to put corrective measures in place immediately. It is not acceptable by our standards of service to have any guest even remotely frustrated or experience any difficulties during their stay. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you if your travels bring you back to the Roanoke Valley.

Gary Walton

Been to The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Address: 110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016
Location: United States > Virginia > Roanoke
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#1 Romantic Hotel in Roanoke
#1 Business Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Family Hotel in Roanoke
Hotel Class:4 star — The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel 4*
Built in 1882, the fully-restored Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a member of IACC (International Association of Conference Centers), Hotel Roanoke is pleased to offer world-class lodging facilities, including newly renovated guest rooms and 63,000 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space. The hotel's business facilities include 35 meeting rooms, a fixed-seat lecture hall, two boardrooms, conference center lounge and an elegant hotel ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,400 guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Hotel Roanoke And Conference Center, a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel
Hotel Roanoke Doubletree

If you own or manage The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.