“Nice, historic property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Fairfax, Virginia
“Nice, historic property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

I was here for a conference and found the hotel very nice. The staff was great and the conference facilities were good. It is an interesting hotel with a bit of history. I typically like newer facilities but for a multi-day conference this was a good place to stay.

Stayed March 2012

1,040 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff is also superb and the location is awesome. It is located in historic downtown Roanoke and is walking distance to many restaurants, bars and shops and a bustling farmer's market on the weekends. The hotel itself is 125 years old but has been restored to its original magnificent splendor with all the modern conveniences you could ever want. I highly recommend this location for business, pleasure or family travel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear txgirlinbigd, thank you for choosing our hotel and for your review. We are thrilled to read reviews as yours as we strive daily to provide the absolute best service and product to our guests and it's wonderful when we succeed in our endeavors. I will share your review with our staff and hope if you have the opportunity to visit Roanoke again, you will choose us for your accommodations.

Bennington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

What can I say. Convenient from downtown as well as easy to get to from the airport. The decor is not something you usually find in a large conference center but it made the weekend even more relaxing. Our meeting were held in our corporate facility near by but we did have our opening dinner at the Hotel the evening we all arrived. The buffet meal far exceeded my expectations. Also breakfast is not your typical hotel buffet - hot food and they kept it coming!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor - room 155. I was very clean and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear crazyplanenr44, thank you for your review of the hotel! I am glad you enjoyed your stay an had a chance to dine in the historic Regency Room. I do hope if you are ever in our region again that you will stay with us!

Charles Town, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We held our event last weekend and what a great location. Nothing but praises for the staff and facility!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear Ttroxel 70, thank you for your review of the hotel and for hosting your event with us. We were honored to be the host site and hope we can help you in any way possible in the near future.

Thanks again,
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Hotel Roanoke is the best place to stay in Roanoke and beyond. The staff is wonderfully attentive and courteous--everyone, from the young, hip valet parking guys to the maintenance man, will greet you personally and with a smile. The food is specatucular and the downstairs bar is very fun! The hotel is conveniently located to downtown--and has a covered walkway to ensure that you can get there rain or shine. Each room is eloguently equipped and different, so every time you stay you'll have a unique experience. Would love to see WIFI included in the price of the room, but alas, the more you pay for the room, the less chance you have of getting free WIFI!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Melissa L, thank you for your review of the hotel and the kind words. We strive daily to provide the absolute best product and customer service and are thrilled when we see this communicated in reviews of our property. I hope when you're in the area again you will choose to stay with us. Thank you again for your patronage.

Manning, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

This is a beautiful and majestic place. A wonderful place for a wedding, reception, conference or other event. However, from the hotel side of things, there were problems for me.

Pros - Nice rooms with nice furniture. Well functioning AC. Nice catering staff and valets.

Cons - Must pay for internet in your room (wifi or wired). Lack of cleanliness. Lack of courtesy at front desk. "free" internet in the lobby requires a password which means you have to stand in line again to get it. Parking is $7 for self-park or $12 for valet.

Let me explain the lack of cleanliness. When I went to take my shower this morning, I realized there was a damp, used washcloth hanging on the shower rod curtain. I was the only one in the room and I had not used it so it was either the prior resident or a maid. Either way, that is just gross. Since they do not have plastic wrapped plastic cups and use glass water glasses in the room, it made me really worried whether those glasses had been washed! As I was checking out, I told the lady at the front desk and she just said "oh, I will be sure to tell housekeeping." I was shocked, not an apology or an offer of free parking or darn near anything but just a statement she would let housekeeping know. I said "Ma'am, a used washcloth on the shower curtain is just nasty." She said that yes it was and she would put in a report right away. I walked off stunned at their lack of concern.

The night before, while travelling to Roanoke, I stayed in a room that was less than $50. It had free parking, free high speed internet, and an actual clean room. Here, I paid roughly 3 times that, had a parking fee, an internet fee and a room with someone's used washcloth hanging from my shower curtain rod. Where would you stay next time?

The rating is higher than it would have been since the valet people were very nice and so was the catering staff. The food at the banquet was not that good but the catering staff was working hard. Also, the sheer beauty of the facility counts for something but like the saying that beauty is only skin deep, beneath the beautiful exterior is not a place I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Paxvilleboy, thank you for your review of the hotel and I apologize personally for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. It is completely unacceptable by our standards for the issue you encountered. We strive daily to present the absolute best in customer service and hospitality product and fell woefully short during your stay. I am sharing you review with our staff as this is not an acceptable experience for our guests.

Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

A quick one night stay on the way to Charlotte. I used points -requested a gold upgrade to execute floor and was accommodated even though hotel was at capacity. The hotel is beautiful. The room was really comfortable and really well appointed. We had dinner in the pub and the service was excellent - it was old and beautiful. I had a great salad and husband had wings and chips. Breakfast in the executive lounge was perfect. Very fresh cut fruit and good fresh pastries. There were a few other options. Excellent hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Baltimorefamily4, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you chose us for your accommodations in Roanoke and do hope that if you are ever in our area again you will again choose to stay at our facility.

Gary Walton

Been to The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Address: 110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016
Location: United States > Virginia > Roanoke
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#1 Romantic Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Business Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Family Hotel in Roanoke
Hotel Class:4 star — The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel 4*
Built in 1882, the fully-restored Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a member of IACC (International Association of Conference Centers), Hotel Roanoke is pleased to offer world-class lodging facilities, including newly renovated guest rooms and 63,000 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space. The hotel's business facilities include 35 meeting rooms, a fixed-seat lecture hall, two boardrooms, conference center lounge and an elegant hotel ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,400 guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Hotel Roanoke And Conference Center, a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel
Hotel Roanoke Doubletree

If you own or manage The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.