“Historically appreciated and beautiful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

You added The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $109!
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Bluefield, Virginia
“Historically appreciated and beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012 via mobile

The hotel Roanoke is set on beautiful landscape! The curb side appeal is wonderful! The lobby is quite presidential with friendly staff greeting you at the door! Beautiful ambience and different decorated rooms to explore upon your arrival! I gave it a 4 not because of cleanliness or service (which was surpurb) but because the rooms are just a little old fashioned for my taste! Nothing wrong with it they are just trying to preserve history and what makes it unique but I definitely recommend this hotel! It's within walking distance to the market which is a great downtown location!

• Stayed December 2011
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear beccaj88, thank you for your review of the hotel and thank you for the recommendation. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you can come back in the near future.

Gary Walton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Full Disclosure: I have toured the hotel but have not actually stay here. My comments explain why this hotel makes the perfect location for a Roanoke Train Vacation.

Thanks to Roanoke City, since July 19, 2011, the Smart Way Amtrak Connector Bus (www.smartwaybus.com) now provides a daily link from this rail City to Amtrak's Northeast (NE) Service (www.Amtrak.com) in Lynchburg, to Amtrak's NE Corridor, and to anywhere worldwide through rail/bus connections with DC's three airports.

The Hotel Roanoke, which the Norfolk and Western (N&W) originally built in 1882, provides convenient access to the former N&W Passenger Station, the Roanoke Valley Convention and Visitor Bureau, the O. Winston Link Museum (with its unmatched collection of steam era portraits), the Official Virginia Museum of Transportation, www.vmt.org, (with its huge steam engines), the pedestrian enclosed overpass (with its views of freight trains), and the departure location for the November passenger train excursions that the Roanoke Chapter of the National Historical Railroad Society.

Google "videos" for "Roanoke Train Vacation" to find YouTube videos on train vacations.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear TrainManDan10, thank you for your review and I hope you get a chance in the near future to come stay at the property. Due to the historical nature of the Hotel being founded by Norfolk & Western (now Norfolk & Southern) we agree with your sentiments and are proudly participating in the revival of the rail culture in Roanoke as well as expanding on the possibilities of passenger rail to come back to the City. I will share this review with our staff and hope you do have a chance to come stay soon.

powell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Hotel Roanoke was beautiful and service was top class. Be sure to enjoy the pool. Very nice.
Would love to visit again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear shelleybean31, thank you for your review of the Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you can come back in the near future!

Safe travels,
Columbia, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

enjoyed this hotel. Nice room and the warm cookies at check in. The bar area is small and crowded. On the night of a big concert at the Civic Center, the walkway from the hotel over the street was closed for repairs. Staff for breakfast was polite. Buffet wasn't anything fantastic. Dining room is pretty stuffy for a casual breakfast.

Room Tip: can be quite a long walk to rooms down halls. If you have an issue, request a room close to elevato...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear G3Girls, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay and also took advantage of our restaurants, and while I apologize for the Market Street Walkway being down for your visit, the City is making needed repairs and renovations to ensure a quality product leading into Downtown. I hope if you're back in the Roanoke Valley again you will choose to stay with us.

Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This upscale hotel is, by far, the nicest hotel in the area. I have wanted to stay here ever since I was a college student at a nearby college. I finally had an opportunity to return to the Roanoke Valley and the Hotel Roanoke was #1 on my list of places to stay. The customer service was fantastic and the rooms were excellent. The attention to detail in the hotel makes it worth the money to stay here. Also, the complimentary cookies available upon check-in and check-out are great – I must have gained a few pounds! We discovered some profanity written on the doorframe of the bathroom after arriving at our room. We alerted the front desk when we were going out for the day and the front desk employee seemed genuinely shocked that something like this would have happened on the property. The situation was taken care of before we returned to the hotel. The public areas are also nicely furnished and laid out. There is so much history in this property! I only wish there was some sort of “behind the scenes” tour offered by the hotel or the local historical society to educate visitors about the history of the hotel. NOTE: If you are using Self Parking, I strongly recommend you drive up to the main entrance to drop off your bags before going to the parking area. The self-parking area is nearby, but up many steps…it is not fun to carry your suitcases up all the stairs, especially at night. Overall, we had a great stay and look forward to returning to the Hotel Roanoke soon.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Aaron R, thank you for your review and we are honored that you experience the hotel and have such a great esteem for our property. We are privileged to have you as one of our guests and I thank you personally for staying with us. I will also add that if you're interested in a tour of the property, please let us know and we will gladly give one upon request. The front desk can assist as well as our CARE line as we do have multiple staff that are highly knowledgeable about the history of the property. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope you get a chance to come back again soon!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Beautiful hotel in the Roanoke Valley! Professional service from knowledgable associates. Guest rooms are clean and well appointed. The intimate setting provides for a relaxing experience. Seamless check in and check out: job well done!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Calvertstudio, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and experience. We strive daily to provide exceptional guest service and I am thrilled to see that we met our goal during your stay. I hope you have a chance to come back and visit again soon!

Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I couldn't be happier to review this amazing hotel! I stayed here for a conference in November (2011) and, as someone who stays in a lot of Hilton brand hotels for my work travels each week, I expected a really comfortable, high-end hotel but did not expect the experience I got at this Doubletree. It was wonnnnderful!

I love that this property is a historic Roanoke landmark and retains all of the awe-inspiring character of the days of old, while also providing the modern conveniences and comforts of today. From the moment you drive up to this gorgeous edifice, you know you are in for a luxurious experience (and walking through the front doors to see the rich features of the lobby and reception area solidifies that fact... big time). It is really something to behold, especially if you appreciate the warm embrace of Old World charm. This hotel has that and more!

The room was beautiful and it was all of the little details in the decor-- the Sweet Dreams pillow on the bed, the antique vanity in the bathroom, the unique, period-specific lamps they used, everything!-- that made it feel so special. The bed was heavenly and the pillows super comfy. Had a great night's sleep my entire stay (3 nights) and heard no room noise from neighboring guests (and the hotel was booked, so I know I had neighbors). The view from the room was wonderful as well-- I overlooked what looked like a castle across the street which, at night, was a really spectacular sight! (See pic, attached)

I had dinner in the hotel at The Pine Room Pub and really enjoyed my grilled chicken salad and the great service from my waitress (she was very kind). I had access to the Executive Lounge but, I am sorry to say, that was the one disappoint at this hotel. The food offerings looked old and stale (not something you want to be thinking about your shrimp cocktail snack) and it grossed me out so I passed on the shrimp. Other than that, there was a cheese and crackers tray but, again, it looked like it had been sitting out quite a while, so I passed. I basically just took advantage of the free bottled waters (there were free sodas as well). The next morning, the breakfast in the Executive Lounge didn't look any more appetizing, so I grabbed a banana and a bottled water and headed over to the conference ballroom. Fortunately, there were breakfast snacks out for us in the hotel ballroom that were delicious (especially these sausage biscuit delicacies-- mmmm!), so I am not sure why the Executive Lounge couldn't figure out a way to offer some better finger foods. Again though, this was the only disappointment at the hotel and I am really hoping it was an isolated situation or that they have improved their Executive Lounge offerings (because they obviously have good chefs there who can get this right).

For me, the comfort of the room, strong wi-fi connection, great service, and luxurious home-away-from-home accommodations are key to a good stay and this hotel gets TOP ratings in all of these departments. I highly recommend this property to anyone looking to impress guests who might be in the area for a wedding (heck, the hotel itself would be AMAZING for a wedding) or for businesses looking for a fantastic location for conference events. Your guests/colleagues will be impressed, that is for sure! And if you are a looking for a romantic getaway with your sweetheart-- this is the spot for you (especially in the Fall when the autumn leaves are full of color! It is stunning!)! For the lone business traveler, like me, it is just a nice treat to stay somewhere that really feels like an "experience" and not just a place to sleep and shower. It was a treat indeed and I look forward to staying here on future visits as well!

Oh, one last thing-- while I didn't take advantage of this hotel's proximity to downtown Roanoke, it is located right in the heart of the city and in walking distance to what I hear are amazing restaurants and shops. I believe there was even a bridge to get from the hotel area over to the main downtown area... a nice convenience feature, especially when there is inclement weather. On my next trip, I plan to check out downtown Roanoke, for sure!

Don't pass up the chance to stay at this excellent hotel! If you have Hilton HHonors points and can get the room for free (or can expense it to your company), even better! It can be a little pricey if you aren't getting a group rate for a conference or some other event, but it is definitely a wonderful stay that you won't forget. (Pics are attached, so check them out!)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Address: 110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016
Location: United States > Virginia > Roanoke
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#1 Romantic Hotel in Roanoke
#1 Business Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Family Hotel in Roanoke
Hotel Class:4 star — The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel 4*
Built in 1882, the fully-restored Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a member of IACC (International Association of Conference Centers), Hotel Roanoke is pleased to offer world-class lodging facilities, including newly renovated guest rooms and 63,000 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space. The hotel's business facilities include 35 meeting rooms, a fixed-seat lecture hall, two boardrooms, conference center lounge and an elegant hotel ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,400 guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Hotel Roanoke And Conference Center, a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel
Hotel Roanoke Doubletree

If you own or manage The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.