“Southern Class at its best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Great Rates from $139!
Ranked #3 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
New York City, New York
“Southern Class at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

The Hotel Roanoke is one of my favorite hotels. When I find myself with the opportunity to travel to Southwestern Virginia - I get excited that I can visit and stay at The Hotel Roanoke. The Hotel Roanoke is rich in history. The Hotel is one of main skyline attractions you can view as you drive into Roanoke. Hotel Roanoke has a skybridge attached to its grounds which will lead you over the train tracks into downtown Roanoke. The short skybride walk will place you into a quaint and quiet market square. The people are friendly in town as well at The Hotel. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The bar and grill in the Hotel feels like you are in a storied library. If you have an hour and you walk to relax with a drink, sit down on the stone patio in a rocking chair and look out over the circular drive in front of the Hotel. I enjoy staying at The Hotel Roanoke whenever I'm in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GaryWalton, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2011

Dear gwgMIMSFlorida, thank you for your review of the Hotel. I loved reading your review as it captures the essence of our Hotel and how we would like to be perceived by our guests. I am honored you choose us for your accommodations when you're in the area and we as a Hotel hope you can come back and visit again soon!

1,118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
mims florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We had a super upgraded suite, thank you Hilton Gold membership
but what a warren to find the suite! and what a lot of effort is required to park, unload, get bags to room.
Nice outside hot tub but cold pool.
Worst Executive Lounge we have visited
Think Roanoke should revert to its original name Big Lick.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
GaryWalton, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear gwgMimsFlorida, thank you for your review of the Hotel. I am disappointed to read about your experience. I am sharing your review with our staff and putting action steps in place to improve on the dissatisfaction listed. Your experience is not how we want our Hilton Gold Members to walk away with from our property.

Wrightwood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Hotel, the first being after if reopened. There was definitely more wear and tear apparent in our room. We had to call to have towels brought up because there were none in our room, the glasses in the room were dirty, the tea/coffee was not replaced after the first night, and I had to carry my own bags to my car as 6 valet/bellhops stood around (and I'm a woman).

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Hokiecoyote, thank you for your review of the Hotel. We strive daily to to provide excellence in service on a daily basis and unfortunately did no meet those expectations for your stay. I am personally sharing your review with our staff and will put corrective measures in place to ensure this does not happen again. I do hope the next time you visit the area you will consider staying with us as I will personally make sure your stay is your best ever.

Sag Harbor, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Nice southern hospitality from everyone there! Room was nice. Pool and hot tub which was already open in April. Grounds were gorgeous and well kept. Definitely recommend. Easy walk to downtown.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dear AmityL, thank you for your review of the Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of some of the amenities at our property. I hope if you're ever in the area again you will consider us for your accommodations.

Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The HR is a great, historic property located in a prime downtown location. Its easy to get to from the Interstate and is convenient to downtown watering holes and restaurants -- many of which are Roanoke's best. The property itself is in very good shape and is impressive, including its history. It is a shame, however, that this property is marketed and presented as a middle-market hotel by Hilton--its capable of a great deal more. I found the room attractive and the lobby quite spectacular. The front desk and help were all very friendly and accommodating. There were small details, however, that left me wondering "what were they thinking?" For example, there is no turn down service, robes in the room nor a refresh of toiletries in one's bathroom. Housekeeping was very spartan with the number of towels delivered to the room (had to call for more), one of the light bulbs was out in the room and one of the phones was out. Also, I found the nickel and dining to be quite aggravating. One has a mandatory $15 valet parking fee ($7 self park) which I find quite egregious considering the small town location. A wireless internet fee is also assessed which surprised me considering mist finer hotels (and budget hotels, for the matter), provide this service for free. Not so at the Hotel Roanoke. I was also somewhat disappointed by some of the other guests who looked like they should be staying at a Holiday Inn rather than a "grand old hotel" on par with the Greenbriar, Grove Park Inn or Jefferson in Richmond. T-shorts, jeans (not designer), and fanny packs (good God, where do these people come from) abounded. The bar was very attractive, however, here, too, the guests were not very appealing. I know this might portray me as somewhat of a snob, but If I am going to be spending 200-350 a night for a hotel, I expect a bit more attention to detail and clientele. I don't know if the association with Virginia Tech has anything to do with the lack of management oversight or not and found the collegiate association (very strong "Hokie" vibe) off putting to say the least. While this was a grand old hotel, management has forfeited an opportunity to make this property as show piece, its just so-so in my opinion and I will probably stay at the Sheraton next time which is in a more convenient location to I81 and is much less expensive.

Room Tip: Be specific what "Kind" of room you desire -- King, Queen, Top floor, etc. -- front desk...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Jim S., thank you for your review of the Hotel. Reviews such as yours help us focus our attention and improve in all areas of our operation. We are proud of our affiliation with Virginia Tech and DoubleTree by Hilton hotels since our reopening in 1995 and will continue to improve our operations and customer service within the brand and with each guest of the Hotel. I do hope you will reconsider your accommodations when staying in Roanoke, as I will personally ensure you experience will be a truly first class experience. Unfortunately we fell short of this goal during your last stay, but I assure you it won't happen again.

Williamsburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011 via mobile

Beautiful hotel
Super Comfortable
Only complaint was that they had only two wait staff in the bar area covering 3 different spaces. Those poor girls were being run ragged. Adding one more person on a Sat. Night after a Tech game shouldn't be too hard and would greatly improve the service.

• Stayed September 2011
GaryWalton, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear vamellens, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind words. We will share your review with our staff. We hope the next time you’re in the Roanoke area you will consider staying with us again.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel leaves an impression from the moment you see it. From curbside valet to the front desk check in, everything was perfect. Valet parking was great, you can come and go all day for the one charge. The room was very large. We had two double beds, desk, coffee station and a separate seating area with two chairs and ottomans. The bathroom was small, but very clean. There was an outdoor patio with a fire pit. It was very close to downtown. There was a Greek festival, so we took advantage of the many festivities. Will definitely make a return visit.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor facing the inside courtyard about ten door down from the elevators. Very...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear MrsGees, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the offerings and amenities at our property as well as in the surrounding downtown area. We hope when your back in the area you will consider us for your accommodations.

Gary Walton

Been to The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel

Address: 110 Shenandoah Ave, Roanoke, VA 24016
Location: United States > Virginia > Roanoke
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#1 Romantic Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Business Hotel in Roanoke
#2 Family Hotel in Roanoke
Hotel Class:4 star — The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel 4*
Built in 1882, the fully-restored Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke is proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a member of IACC (International Association of Conference Centers), Hotel Roanoke is pleased to offer world-class lodging facilities, including newly renovated guest rooms and 63,000 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space. The hotel's business facilities include 35 meeting rooms, a fixed-seat lecture hall, two boardrooms, conference center lounge and an elegant hotel ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,400 guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Hotel Roanoke And Conference Center, a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel
Hotel Roanoke Doubletree

If you own or manage The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.