“quiet with minimal use” 5 of 5 stars

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“quiet with minimal use”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

There are two ways to come in to the reserve. I usually head out towards Catawba and circle in the back parking lot. There is a fee to use the reserve, but it's low. I always hike, but it looks perfect for biking and I often see mountain bikes in the parking lot. When I was there, there were NO toilets and no maps. I took a picture with my phone of the trailhead map for reference. Many many miles of trails, and I rarely see more than 2-3 bikers while I am out. I have not seen bear or turkey but plenty of deer, raccoon, possum and birds. THe trails are mostly shady, and the ratings (easy, intermediate, advanced) are pretty accurate. Perfect for trail running, hiking or biking. Lots of streams. Not many viewpoints on the lower trails-- they just sweep through wide open valleys with rocks and streams, wooded with moderate growth mixed pine and hardwoods. Many of the trails allow a loop, so you are not backtracking. Very peaceful for so close to Roanoke. (about 20 minutes from SW Roanoke). There is no hunting, so it is pretty safe all year.

Visited October 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Entrance fee required”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I was surprised to drive in and find that all (16 and up) who wanted to set foot on the property had to pay a "user fee." There were boats available for rent as well as a boat ramp, a walking trail and pavilion, but we didn't think it was worth the fee since we only wanted a place to have a picnic.

Visited May 2014
Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This a small reservoir for the city of Roanoke and surroundig areas. There are two ways to get into the reserve one is off of Rt 11 just north of Roanoke. The other way is through Bennett Springs off Rt 311. The big attraction for me was miles of mountain bike trails that range from beginners to expert. every time I ride I see bear, deer, turkey, and some things I'm not sure I want to know. Make sure you bring water and basic maintenance equipment in case you pop a chain it is a long walk out

Visited January 2013
nc
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Hiking and Mountain Biking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have done mountain biking and biking at Carvin's Cove. It is a beautiful place so close to Roanoke city. An easy "getaway" that gives the feeling of the wild outdoors. It can get crowded on weekends, especially if the weather is good.

Visited October 2013