“Italian Star in the Star City!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Roanoke, Virginia
“Italian Star in the Star City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Unassuming location next to the gym on the lower-level of Tower Shopping Center. Plain walls and plain tables with a painted concrete floor gives an industrial look to the dining area.
Our waitress was very nice and not a little over-zealous ( which is better than a zombie!). Once it was determined whether or not we wished beer or wine, the most wonderful large yeast rolls were delivered hot to the table with a dish of White Bean Dip. To our surprise the bean dip was NOT loaded with garlic and had a wonderful bouquet of fresh rosemary instead. The rolls were excellent and we requested some fresh butter to go with them as well. When we received our menus I noticed that everything was priced a la carte.

Before long our waitress brought a Pasta Display Tray to our table. We were able to choose from short pastas such as Rigatoni, Pene Tricolori, Trecce Spinich, Whole Wheat Penne, and Potato Gnocchi. Beautiful long pastas such as Pappardelle, Fettuccine, Tagliatelle, Tagliolini, Capellini, and Gluten-Free Capellini with your choice of Egg or Spinach. Fabulous large Raviloi filled with Ricotta and Spinach, Butternut squash, Mixed Mushrooms, Apples, Sage and Sausage, Four Italian Cheese, and Eggplant and Herbs.

There is a large selection of appetizers and fabulous salads to choose from. I passed on them to concentrate on my entree. I did, however, observe the salads delivered to a nearby table and they looked beautiful.
There is a large selection of either Red or White sauces to go with whichever pasta you order.
I chose the Egg Fettuccine with Funghi a suce of mushrooms, cream and parmesan cheese.I also added Grilled Chicken to this dish for the extra $3.00. My two guests ordered the Cheese and Spinach Ravioli with a classic Alfredo sauce. The large Ravioli comes FOUR to an order so my guests (who both eat like birds) split the order and had more than enough. You can add Chicken, sausage, meatballs, shrimp or salmon to any of the dishes if you choose. A nice option.

Our food arrived hot and well presented. The fresh pasta was fantastic with just the right feel to it. My chicken was perfectly grilled and had a wood-fire taste to it. The Funghi sauce was delicious and had a wonderful mushroom taste. Surprisingly, the Parmesan cheese flavor came through ( I usually prefer Romano). Unfortunately, there wasn't much of that fantastic sauce on my entree and towards the finish it became a bit dry. I am of the opinion that if you are going to charge for the sauce a la carte then I want some sauce!

During our dinner the waitress and restaurant staff constantly checked on us to ask if everything was all right. They seemed almost in a hurry to rush us along although the restaurant was not full. It was a bit much, but I didn't say a word and I felt it was better than some places where you are completely ignored! If I was looking for a romantic dinner or business discussion I will know to ask for some privacy next time.

Before we took our last bite of entree our waitress swooped down on us with the desert sales-pitch.There were quite a few items to choose from such as the many flavors of gelato, etc. I ordered the fresh-made Tiramasu and decided we would split it amongst the three of us. The waitress brought the large piece of Tiramasu out to us perfectly presented, along with extra forks and plates for us to split it up.
The Tiramasu was excellent!

This place was a real treat. There is only one other place in town that serves really authentic Italian foods and they don't have the fabulous fresh pastas that Mirkos offers. It is really refreshing, as sadly, authentic ethnic foods can be a rarity here in the Roanoke valley.

Mirkos also offers a great luncheon menu with all kind of daily specials, salads, soups, panninis
and full entrees.
AND there is a great Children's Menu for 10 years old and under for just $4.99.

I will be back!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Roanoke, VA
“Nice addition to Roanoke restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I visited Mirko's for lunch for our first visit last week. The menu is a bit difficult to understand at first, but the staff did an excellent job explaining the choices and even used a tray of various uncooked pastas to demonstrate. The pasta tray is even arranged in the same order as the menu - clever. First, you choose your pasta, then your sauce, and choose if you want to add meat. In addition, there are other entree's and sandwiches from which to choose. The bread served is not your typical Italian restaurant bread, which I would prefer. Instead, it is a yeast roll more on par with a steak house roll. It is served with a bean puree dip, which was pretty good, though. The food was delicious and presentation was nice. Dessert choices were also unique - they did have a tiramisu, but no canolli??? Instead, they serve crepes - french dessert??? Anyway, we had the crepes, and they were excellent.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Incredible pasta and sauce”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This may have been the best pasta and sauce I've had. The way you order is original to me at least. You order your pasta, sauce, and any meat you might want. It was absolutely delicious. Can't beat fresh made pasta.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Meh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have only tried this restaurant once, and that was on opening week so perhaps my review will reflect the chaos of that time. In my opinion the dishes are more on the expensive side for what you are getting. I ordered the spinach cheese ravioli and it was yummy, but my order arrived to me incorrect three different times before they finally got it right. There isn't anything about this restaurant that would make me go back to it with all of these things considered and with so many other options in Roanoke.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
“Not at all what was expected”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife, grandson and I went to the Towers location for dinner. The place looked good. We were seated in a booth and given menus that were hard to read for older people in dim light. The menu offers an infinite number of pastas and sauce that you may combine to your tastes. It took a while to make a choice especailly for my wife who has problems with so many options but she decide on Minestrone soup and Caesar salad. My grandson got the spaghetti and tomato sauce. I ordered tagliatelle and bolgonese sauce.
First let me comment on the service. The waiter took our order and from the best I could tell spent the rest of the time making meals up to go. After long intervals we would see him and ask about our meal that seemed to take forever. He finally explained that there was a 7 person party in front of us and that caused the delay. I found that inadequate in a room that was not filled making dished that were simple to push out. My grandson only got his drink after asking the waiter to bring it again.
They brought us rolls that were barely warm and very dense with some type of bean dip. No butter or Olive was offered but we later saw that other tables were served those items. The food finally arrived. Mine was ok but if that was meat sauce I wondered why there was so little meat in a sauce known for meat. The pasta was soft and not over cooked. It was not remarkable as I had hoped for a specialty restuarant. My wife's order came with the wrong salad. Greek not Casear. There was no one to tell because the waiter never checked back with us.I finally stopped another server and ask her if that was the right salad. She responded no and tnothing else was done or said until our wiater finally showed up after dinner was over. I guess he was too busy doing orders to go. Her soup was not hot and more like a thick stew than soup.
Bottom line is the service is poor, the food is so so. The manager took the salad off the bill but did not show up at the table to ask about our service. I am very dissappointed in the experience. If you want good Italian food I would go to Carrabba's at Valley View. Great food and service there. This place needs help.

• Visited December 2012