“Excellent for family activity” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 59 things to do in Roanoke
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun for the whole family, the Science Museum of Western Virginia features a tropical butterfly garden filled with butterflies from around the world; fun and interactive exhibits exploring Healthy Bodies, Healthy Earth and How It Works; live animals and the popular "FROGS"; the Living River & Touch Tank; and amazing traveling exhibits such as "TUTANKHAMUN: Wonderful Things From The Pharaoh's Tomb," running June 14-Dec. 31, 2014.
roanoke, va
“Excellent for family activity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Roanoke has done a great job bringing in all that is available at the Science Museum, good wholesome family fun and very Educational!

Visited June 2014

4 attraction reviews
“Not worth the admission”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

First of all, I'm from Roanoke so I visited the original museum with my son many times & I'm privy to the amount spent on the renovation so with that taken into consideration I think it was a very poor job done. The museum is very boring & extremely sparse. The most interesting part is the free aquariums in the 1st floor lobby, and the butterfly atrium. The cost is approx $15 for adults & $12 for kids which I find to be a total rip off. There is a touch tank which is fun but the exhibits are rather stale & unimpressive. I only hope that they are planning to add to this museum. I waited 2 yrs before I visited so that I could try to forget the old museum but was still sorely disappointed. The free parts of the building where the museum is housed are the most interesting.

Visited June 2014
manati
6 attraction reviews
“They have butterflies”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Ok this museum is in need of funding. I still had a good time learning and taking in everything but they did have some exhibits that were not working. What I understood was that they had recently renovated but that the planetarium was out of service. Butterfly exhibit was neat but you did feel sorry for them you see a lot of them sitting at the window looking out. Rooftop garden was lacking color. Someone please give this center some money. We still made the best of it.

SciMuseumWesternVa, Public Relations Manager at Science Museum of Western Virginia & Hopkins Planetarium, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to review the Science Museum, and we regret that your experience was less than satisfying. During your visit, our exhibit floor was in a state of flux as we prepared to open "TUTANKHAMUN: Wonderful Things from the Pharaoh's Tomb" on June 14.

Concerning our planetarium, we decided to close it since the technology inside it has become out-dated. We are about to launch a capital campaign to bring it into the 21st century with a new digital projection system capable of broadcasting a wide array of science and nature programming.

We do hope you'll come back to visit us soon. Many thanks again.
12 attraction reviews
“Bring your kids! Perfect for a family outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Since the Museums reopening in Center in the Square I have decided to become a regular, my daughter actually wants to see the exhibit’s and learn about History of our town and wants to explore everything she can. The Museum is now housed alongside the Science Museum which has rotational exhibits and even a touching tank for the kids.

The rotating exhibits are extremely well placed and educational, they currently have a parasite exhibit showing the weird freaky parasites that are in the world, They also have a plasticized human being on display showing the organs and details of the human body. You should check there website to see what current special programs they offer, The Dinosaur program was an extremely big hit with my daughter!

Visited May 2014
4 attraction reviews
“How fortunate we are!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Not many cities can boast of a Butterfly Garden, but Roanoke has one! I was able to attend several of the "Butterflies at Five" and it was a totally elegant evening with wine and snacks and information. The culmination of the evening was releasing your own butterfly. It can't get much better than this. They have also recently created a new frog exhibit with exotic frogs. I must salute the staff of the Science Museum on their knowledge and willingness to create an exciting environment for all ages. Their new habitat has lots of room for growth and they are getting bigger and better as each month passes!

Visited March 2014