“A good choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Wellington, United Kingdom
“A good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The motel was comfortable and the room clean, friendly reception. We could park right outside the room, only here for one night but found nothing to complain about which is good. the breakfasrt was good, we would stay here again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hearing this glowing feedback is more rewarding than you know. Thank you for taking the time to spread the good word about us here on TripAdvisor. Next time you're in Roanoke, please keep us in mind! You've always got a home away from home at our lodge.

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We rode to Roanoke on a motorcycle.. did some time at the pool, then decided to call a cab to go in to town. We had a nice Thai dinner in town, and a few drinks. Walked around town and called the cab to go back to the hotel. The Hotel was clean. Got up in the morning and discovered I didn't have my wallet. Called City cab, the driver had it & brought it right to out hotel!!! Kudos to City Cab in Roanoke

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Joanne, it sounds like you had a successful trip to Roanoke -- glad we could be a part of it! Come back and see us sometime.

Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were on our motorcycles and we like to have a room were we can park outside our door and this was perfect. We had a king on the back side of the hotel which we really liked. It was very quite and we did borrow a couple of chairs to sit outside and unwind. The room was clean and comfortable, shower wasn't great but it did the job. They do have a washer and dryer.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hearing this glowing feedback is more rewarding than you know. My sincerest thank you for taking the time to spread the good word about us here on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure having you at our Lodge and I sincerely hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're in Roanoke. Our door and our motorcycle spots are always open!

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The colony house is my kind of place. I can park right in front of my room, which makes loading and unloading the motorcycle easy!

The rooms are large, clean and comfortable.

The pool is nice.
And Downtown Roanoke is a $10.00 cab ride away.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the motel get the late day sun and sitting out if front can be very HOT. T...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Comments like these just make my day! My sincerest thank you for taking the time to share your support here on Tripadvisor. I'm happy you enjoyed a great stay and appreciated how easy it was to load and unload your motorcycle. After all, that's one of our goals! Next time you're in Roanoke, I hope you'll keep us in mind. Our door's always open!

Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We were a group of motorcyclists traveling the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway ... two couples and one solo rider, so three rooms.

We were warmly greeted and the rooms were ready as expected since we arrived later in the day.

The motel shows it's age and the room's decor is a decade or two dated, although given the age, it was nice and clean.

Next time we do this ride we'll spend a bit more and stay somewhere with a more modern touch.

The price was inline for what we received ... it was a good value. And I always appreciate a friendly staff. If you are on a budget this is a nice choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us, James. Your rating of 4 for Location, Sleep Quality, and Cleanliness as well as 5 for Value and Service, is quite a compliment! With your knowledge of the industry as outlined in your profile, I know you recognize the constant effort and hard work our staff produces to earn our guests’ respect.

Being just 2 miles from the Route 220 entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway, we attract travelers from all over. Your attached photo of your rides right outside the rooms concisely conveys their compliments of this advantageous parking. They tell us being able to park at their room provides an added level of security, safety, convenience, and peace of mind for their property, whether it is their pride and joy touring motorcycle, vintage automobile, exotic car, or the family vehicle full of personal possessions.

Since you rated us 5 for 5 in Value and Service, why pay more for just a "modern touch"? I hope y'all will come back and give us another chance to impress. Our “quaint step back in time” motor lodge and good old sincere Southern Hospitality will be waiting for you.

In the meantime, enjoy the ride.
McCormick, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The review by Robert F B pretty well sums up this property. Room 401 was not good enough reach the economy motel level where you expect some dents, dings and scratches here and there. This situation was evident from floor to ceiling. The carpet is filthy with stains and spills over much of it. The louvered door have closures but they don't work. This mean unless you make it a point to close the door so that it doesn't slam shut, it will slam shut. We stayed 3 nights and unfortunately our neighbors let the door slam. Not good around the midnight hour. The TV is so old the picture was blurry and if you like Fox News it was no where to be found. The stopper in the vanity sink was closed when we arrived. The lever had disconnected. We informed management and the fix was a bent coffee stirrer wedged under the stopper to partially hold it open. It stayed this way for the 3 days. If you need shampoo, bring you own. This over 50 year old property is just plain worn out. The staff is very friendly but this cannot overcome the poor condition of the units. Hopefully the Colony House Motor Lodge will show up on "Hotel Impossible".

Room Tip: There are two levels to this motel, lower front and upper back. You can park in front of your room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Captain Morgan, thank you for rating us above average for “Value”, “Sleep Quality”, and very high on our “Location”. The sink plunger has been repaired, but you didn't mention your room had two sinks, as most of our rooms do, and the other wasn't affected . I do apologize for any inconvenience, as that's never our intention.

That said, I am puzzled about your complaints of problems “floor to ceiling” and carpet “filthy with stains and spills”. The room had been recently repainted floor to ceiling including the ceiling and our inspection doesn't verify your complaints about the carpet. If you felt it was in such poor condition, I’m surprised you stayed there for three days and didn't request a room change. Our guests' happiness is important to us, so we would've happily found you a room that's just right.

I apologize for our inconsiderate guests who slammed their door. Such occurrences in the middle of the night can be very disruptive. Also, have you priced travel size toiletries? They are outrageous! So think what we would have to pay for even smaller bottles. Why should our guest pay for them if they aren’t needed? That is why, as stated on our folio, should you forget toiletries, they are available free at the front desk, and we can provide a better price to value experience.

Travel safe,
Wiehle, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This place was recommended to me by a local friend down there whose aunt stayed here while convalesencing due to a broken ankle a while back. The exterior is quite well-maintained as one might expect. The inside? Read on...

An older gentleman at the front desk greeted me with an "I've been expecting you" when I identified myself as having a reservation. The check-in took an average amount of time.

While I was given cookies at the front desk, they were not hot. They were prepackaged. Speaking of food, when I asked the gentleman at the front desk if he could suggest a local barbecue restaurant, he would only suggest those in their mini-menu display. (None were barbecue, BTW...) Other than this, he was friendly, courteous, and helpful.

My room (403) had a mix of the good and not-so good. The louvered screen door is a nice touch. If it had a screen to keep out the bugs, it would be useful for ventilation. The heating & A/C unit was older and most of the lettering had been worn away, making it tough to operate. And, it was loud! The carpeting, while old, was obviously well-maintained. As for the TV... 1987 called and it wants its TV back. My TV got only half the channels listed on the guide card provided by the pizza chain. Near to the TV is a curiously placed electric outlet that isn't mounted in the wall, but rather on the wall, by the dressing area. Also, the room was dimly lit for the most part due to older design light bulbs. I had to open the drapes to be able to read! The only modern thing in the room was the "No Smoking" table tent on the table. On the plus side, the room was large and uncrowded with too much furniture for the available space, as is all too common today.

The most glaring thing that got me about the room are the sections of paint on the ceiling that look like they could fall down at any time and hit someone. Including someone asleep! Somebody really needs to take a look at that. By comparison, the cracks in the bathroom tile aren't that bad. I know that part of Virginia isn't far from where a strong earthquake occurred a couple of years ago. So, fixing something like that might be done in the future. But, the peeling sections of ceiling paint? That needs to be looked at really soon.

As for breakfast... I don't know what continent the term "continental breakfast" originated from. But, I'd have to venture to say that they are unhealthy (carb rich with the pastries), weak and tire easily (because of the absence of protein and the serving sizes), and would be easily conquered by a better-fed force. In the case of Colony House, while the food was average, the serving area was tiny! And, unlike some places with this situation which encourage the guests to take the food back to their room for eating, the Colony House forbids this practice, citing that this is "due to the increased cost of food". Signs like this reek of a cheapness that, fortunately, I've rarely seen in my travels. The sign in my room reminding that low rates are possible in part due to reduced energy consumption were innocuous by comparison.

Check out was as fast and as courteous as the check-in.

I found on my visit that Roanoke is not that bad of a city that I might want to visit again. Will I stay here again?

Good question! Pity the facility isn't of the standard of the people who work there!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you very much for the feedback and your 4-star rating, Robert. It was a pleasure hosting you, and I'm glad you found the people here to be so friendly. I'll make sure the whole team reads this, as well.

As for the "shortcomings," I appreciate you letting me know about them. It is always good to see where we can improve. Painting, as you might imagine, is a continuous task that occupies most of the time of one of our maintenance staff. It is always helpful for guest to notify us when something needs to be moved up on the list.

As four our cookies, Otis Spunkmeyer premixes the cookie dough and we prepare them fresh daily. Aren’t they delicious! They remind my wife of growing up in Roanoke and visiting her Grandma who always had fresh cookies for her.

If you do ever make it back to Roanoke, we’d love the opportunity to welcome you again. I know we can really impress you.

Charles, Owner

Been to Colony House Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!