“Fine accomidations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Fine accomidations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed there Saturday evening for $89.
Nice lady at the front desk.
Room was clean, bathroom was clean, bed was comfortable.
Pool was very nice after a long days motorcycle ride.
Parked right in front of the room.
$12.00 taxi ride got us to Downtown Roanoke where we had a great meal and some night life.
I will return to the Colony House Motor Lodge.

Room Tip: there are some rooms in the back of the building that would remove you from any noise from the stree...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Many thanks for the great review here on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you you found our beds comfortable and our pool a great place to relax after a long ride. Please keep us in mind next time you're in the are. We'd love to have you stay with us again!

Take care,
Charles, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

ladies, don't go here alone. seriously. i had to go get my room key re-programmed - several times actually, major issues getting the keys to work. but one trip to get the key fixed and the creepy guy at the desk could tell me when my daughter had left and come back to the room throughout his shift. gross.

i think there are residential customers that stay at colony house and THEY are creepy also. and noisy. many nights they were out in the parking lot at like 2 a.m. yelling and making noise.

also, they charged BOTH the card that i used for the reservation AND the card i used to pay with. eventually got it straight, but who needs the hassle?

i didn't get the weekly rate b/c i did not ask specifically for it. give me a break!

the room was not awesome. broken faucets that leaked really bad.

nice little pool but creeper at the desk will watch you, ladies.

best thing about the place was proximity to waffle house and sonic.

Room Tip: if you do go here, stay at the end AWAY from the waffle house. the residential lodgers are near waf...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
As the owner, I take your allegation about safety very seriously. I can assure you we complete full background checks on our staff and do everything possible to help our guests feel safe and at ease. That said, I'm surprised you found us creepy as we receive a lot of solo travelers and receive nothing but compliments, including praises to our safety. When it comes to noise at 2 am, our team is trained to handle noise complaints to create a quiet, peaceful place for sleep. Please don't hesitate to notify our team with any issues.

Overall, I apologize you had such a poor stay with us and hope you'll give us a second chance to impress. It's been a few years and we've only improved with time.

Warm regards,
Charles, Owner
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one week during the recent power outage in Roanoke, since our home had no power or water. It is across the street from a Red Lobster, KMart, and Sonic. The location is convenient to the Tanglewood Mall, Franklin Road shops, and downtown (10 min drive). Our weekly rate equaled about $40/day. I thought this was a great bargain! The room had a nice refrigerator & microwave, plus a small table, which made meal preparation simple during the week. Front desk staff and housekeeping staff were both friendly and professional. We were able to use the cute pool area, fitness center, and laundry facilities. It was quiet, had very cool air conditioning, and met our needs perfectly for this one-week stay.

• Stayed July 2012
East Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Aftrr one night in a 1950's motel in Luray,Va, a drive down the SkyLine Drive and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Colony House Motor Lodge was a bright light at the end of a long tunnel.Check in was quick. Walking into my room, my first word was 'WOW'. Two queen beds, round table with 2 or 3 chairs. Night stand between the beds. A big screen tv sits in a wooden cabinet. Probably 50 channels, was too tired from driving to pay much asttention to tv. A writing desk/table was near the tv cabinet.

The bathroom was good size, with the shower/tub having much space. The sink area has large area for traveling items. Hairdryer and good motel shampoo. The bed was very comfortable with two pillows each. Lighting was excellent in all parts of the room.

The room was very clean. My room was non-smoking, with smoking rooms avialable. Each room is equiped with micowave, small frigerator and coffee maker. Also thetre is a coin laundry.

Colony House is at most 12-15 minutes west of the Blue Ridge. The motel is just north of I581 leading to I81.

Two restaurant are within 1/2 mile at most. A steak restaurant to the motels left and a Red Lobster across Franklin Road. The man at the front desk recommended the steak restaurant. I walked to Red Lobster. Try the salmon.

The one big drawback to Colony House is the breakfast. Only donuts and muffins, with coffee and orange/apple juice. I would stay again, but would look for a neasrby breakfast restaurant, if staying more than one night.

All doores open to the facility's parking lot. I had no problem with this arrangement, as I had to walk 20 feet to my vehicle. No walking and carrying my luggage down a long hallway to chrck out.

On a 18 day day trip, I stayed at six motels , putting Colony House at the top and highly recommending a stay.

Jack , Syracuse, New York

Room Tip: Ask if a breakfast restaurant is neasrby.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I, along with another couple, did a five-day motorcycle trip through PA, MD, WV, TN, NC, and finally VA. Our fourth day of travel put is in Roanoke, VA for our last night. Having stayed at the Colony House the previous year on a similar trip, we did not hesitate to make our reservations here again. When we arrived late Sunday evening, the gentleman working the front desk saw our motorcycles, took note of the reservation slips that had be written up for us, and shook his head. He said, "They have you staying in a second floor room...that just won't do for you and your bikes. How about I put you in first floor king suites? They only catch is they are on the backside of the property...is that OK?" We agreed instantly! He did not charge us for the upgraded room and we wound up with king beds (when I called to make the original reservations, the only standard rooms left were two double). We REALLY appreciated his efforts and offer! The Colony House is a great little motel with clean rooms, comfortable beds, and a great location just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We took advantage of the proximity to the Red Lobster (just across the highway) and walked to our dinner that evening. Breakfast the next morning was modest, but it was enough to get us up and going on what would be our last day of our adventure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Stayed here one night - September 24, 2011. This is a older, small, family-owned motel. The check-in guy was the owner I'm pretty sure and he gave me the rate of $56 for a Saturday night. He was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very large and spacious and the bed was comfortable. The room was very clean and came with a microfridge and microwave and no complaints whatsoever. The motel was very quiet even though on a major road. There is a Waffle House next door and several other restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Union, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Very good Place to stay
close to shopping and eating places
Will Be Going Back

Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to Colony House Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!