“Inexpensive lodging--great rates for weekly stays!” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3560 Franklin Rd. SW (U.S. 220 Business), Roanoke, VA   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #19 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Virginia
“Inexpensive lodging--great rates for weekly stays!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one week during the recent power outage in Roanoke, since our home had no power or water. It is across the street from a Red Lobster, KMart, and Sonic. The location is convenient to the Tanglewood Mall, Franklin Road shops, and downtown (10 min drive). Our weekly rate equaled about $40/day. I thought this was a great bargain! The room had a nice refrigerator & microwave, plus a small table, which made meal preparation simple during the week. Front desk staff and housekeeping staff were both friendly and professional. We were able to use the cute pool area, fitness center, and laundry facilities. It was quiet, had very cool air conditioning, and met our needs perfectly for this one-week stay.

• Stayed July 2012

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
East Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Aftrr one night in a 1950's motel in Luray,Va, a drive down the SkyLine Drive and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Colony House Motor Lodge was a bright light at the end of a long tunnel.Check in was quick. Walking into my room, my first word was 'WOW'. Two queen beds, round table with 2 or 3 chairs. Night stand between the beds. A big screen tv sits in a wooden cabinet. Probably 50 channels, was too tired from driving to pay much asttention to tv. A writing desk/table was near the tv cabinet.

The bathroom was good size, with the shower/tub having much space. The sink area has large area for traveling items. Hairdryer and good motel shampoo. The bed was very comfortable with two pillows each. Lighting was excellent in all parts of the room.

The room was very clean. My room was non-smoking, with smoking rooms avialable. Each room is equiped with micowave, small frigerator and coffee maker. Also thetre is a coin laundry.

Colony House is at most 12-15 minutes west of the Blue Ridge. The motel is just north of I581 leading to I81.

Two restaurant are within 1/2 mile at most. A steak restaurant to the motels left and a Red Lobster across Franklin Road. The man at the front desk recommended the steak restaurant. I walked to Red Lobster. Try the salmon.

The one big drawback to Colony House is the breakfast. Only donuts and muffins, with coffee and orange/apple juice. I would stay again, but would look for a neasrby breakfast restaurant, if staying more than one night.

All doores open to the facility's parking lot. I had no problem with this arrangement, as I had to walk 20 feet to my vehicle. No walking and carrying my luggage down a long hallway to chrck out.

On a 18 day day trip, I stayed at six motels , putting Colony House at the top and highly recommending a stay.

Jack , Syracuse, New York

Room Tip: Ask if a breakfast restaurant is neasrby.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I, along with another couple, did a five-day motorcycle trip through PA, MD, WV, TN, NC, and finally VA. Our fourth day of travel put is in Roanoke, VA for our last night. Having stayed at the Colony House the previous year on a similar trip, we did not hesitate to make our reservations here again. When we arrived late Sunday evening, the gentleman working the front desk saw our motorcycles, took note of the reservation slips that had be written up for us, and shook his head. He said, "They have you staying in a second floor room...that just won't do for you and your bikes. How about I put you in first floor king suites? They only catch is they are on the backside of the property...is that OK?" We agreed instantly! He did not charge us for the upgraded room and we wound up with king beds (when I called to make the original reservations, the only standard rooms left were two double). We REALLY appreciated his efforts and offer! The Colony House is a great little motel with clean rooms, comfortable beds, and a great location just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We took advantage of the proximity to the Red Lobster (just across the highway) and walked to our dinner that evening. Breakfast the next morning was modest, but it was enough to get us up and going on what would be our last day of our adventure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Stayed here one night - September 24, 2011. This is a older, small, family-owned motel. The check-in guy was the owner I'm pretty sure and he gave me the rate of $56 for a Saturday night. He was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very large and spacious and the bed was comfortable. The room was very clean and came with a microfridge and microwave and no complaints whatsoever. The motel was very quiet even though on a major road. There is a Waffle House next door and several other restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Union, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Very good Place to stay
close to shopping and eating places
Will Be Going Back

Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I do not understand the review of Feb. 2009. I too was hospitalized while staying at this hotel. I received excellent treatment and much concern for my health. They most certainly do honor their weekly rate of $196.00. As a matter of fact, I feel I was given such special treatment, I plan on visiting again real soon. It is very clean and quiet with extremely friendly staff to include the housekeepers.

This just goes to show that you cannot judge hotels by unfavorable reviews....you simply cannot please certain people when things don't go their way all the time!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Wilmington, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

Father having open heart surgery at Roanoke Memorial...Called to confirm reservations and was promised weekly rate of $196.00. Upon checking out was forced to pay full rate of $50 per night plus tax. Would not let us speak to management nor corporate office/owner. Called back and spoke with owner who was extremely rude and said that he refused to deal with us and hung up. Had human resources from the hospital call for us and she was treated rudely also. Other places are cleaner, have better service and the same rates! Still close to hospital. I would not recommend staying at the Colony House!!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Colony House Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!