“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MainStay Suites Airport

You added MainStay Suites Airport to your Saves list
MainStay Suites Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5080 Valley View Blvd., 5070 Valley View Blvd, Roanoke, VA 24012   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed here this past week and were very impressed. The suite was roomy and very comfortable. The staff was, without exception, courteous and helpful. The breakfast, while the same each day, was very good, with the only exception being that the toaster springs were shot, and would not stay down on their own. Their little store does not stock much beyond soft drinks, ice cream, and the like, and all items are expensive...better to buy at the Walmart down the street.

I'd highly recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thanks so much for your review.
I'm pleased your stay was enjoyable and I will pass along the nice comments to the staff.
I will replace the toaster in the breakfast area so it will work properly. I'm sorry you had that trouble.
We are also in the process of adding additional cabinets and shelving in the convenience store area so we can enlarge our selection. I would be interested to hear in you have any suggestions. Please contact me at 540-992-4077 or cia@rbnet.com.
We look forward to seeing you again,
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have visited this hotel numerous times and been very satisfied overall. The only problem is the sofa bed in the living room is much too low for comfortable seating - even for short people!
We realize this furniture is also used by some guests for sleeping, but even that use seems a little too close to the floor. For our use, we are limited to the one chair or the chairs at the dining area for sitting or watching TV.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
gmva342, General Manager at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thanks for your review. In the future when you visit, please contact me and I will see there is an additional chair in your room for your relaxation. I am sorry the sofas are not to your liking, but I believe I can help with this additional chair.
Please let me know in advance of your arrival or contact me directly at gm.va342@choicehotels.com or 540-527-3030 and I will be happy to assit with reservations.
Ed Wray
北海道千歳市
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Satisfaction
Breakfast was very good!
Access from the airport also may
Momentum of the water in the shower is good!

• Stayed March 2014
Thanks for your kind words. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. If I can help with future reservations, please contact me at gm.va342@choicehotels.com or 540-527-3030. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ed Wray
Earth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Our room was very spacious and comfortable.There was also an equipped kitchen, but we didn't use it.
Room was very well lighted, so was the bathroom - not common in hotels.
The room was clean and quiet.

The problems:
The bottom inner part of bathroom's door was dirty.

At breakfast there was a small selection of items.
There was no fruit salad, no walnuts, no raisins, no cranberries.
There were only packs of 2 bread slices. I wanted 1 slice of plain bread and I do not throw away food. So having no choice, I ate a plain bagel.
They have a coffee machine that prepares a so called Cappuccino. They have never tasted the real thing if they call that strange liquid Cappuccino.
The garbage can's lid was very dirty and the only way to use it was to touch it, no open comfortable can.

Their Wi-Fi is very weak, slow and there are frequent cutoffs. Very uncomfortable.

The elevator is terribly slow. Not because there are many guests, the hotel was almost empty. It takes the elevator's door forever to close and to open.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thanks so much for your review.
I am sorry we missed out of exceeding your expectations at the MainStay Suites Airport. Although your room seemed to be fine except for the bottom of the bathroom door, it appears we have improvement to do on our breakfast bar.
I will take all of your comments into consideration and talk with the breakfast staff and get things cleaned up and a better selection. Thanks so much for bringing your concerns to my attention.
I hope in the future you will allow us the opportunity to serve your lodging needs.
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I ended up staying two days here and had a very relaxing stay. The front desk manager, Bonnie, was very courteous and ensured that I had everything that was needed for a great stay. I'm very glad that I chose to stay at this location while visiting the Roanoke area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Joseph,
Thanks for your kind words concerning your recent stay. I will pass along your comments to Bonnie and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and visit us again soon.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was on a press trip here, so I did not choose the hotel, which seemed perfectly fine for what it is.
However, after my first night, I woke up with bug bites and at first I thought they were mosquitoes, but I started asking around, and no one else had been bitten. Adiitionally, I had not seen any mosquitoes during my stay. The next day I woke up with even more bites--red, swollen, itchy things all over the areas of my body that had been exposed during my sleep--arms, feet, hands.
I asked to be moved to another hotel, and my request was complied with.
When I asked to do my laundry at the hotel the following day free of charge, I was rebuked. The woman working at the front desk was extremely rude and belligerent, and when I asked to speak to the GM she told me he was sleeping. She took down my number and said he'd call me, but I haven't heard a thing from him.
These things happen, and I understand that. It's an unfortunate problem in hotel rooms and apartment buildings. I don't blame management or the hotel or the housekeepers, but I am completely floored at the way my situation was handled.
All I wanted was a new suitcase and clean laundered clothes paid for by the hotel, and so far, I have heard nothing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Your group’s rooms were arranged through the Roanoke Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau and were complimentary rooms from the hotel and the two neighboring hotels owned by our company.
You checked into the hotel on Wednesday, October 16 and made no mention to anyone at the hotel about your suspicions of bed bugs until Friday evening. We then immediately offered you a room at our nearby Best Western per your request. Saturday morning you returned to the MainStay Suites and demanded money ($200.00) from the desk staff to wash your clothes and purchase a new suit case. This request was referred to the General Manager who was at his residence still sleeping from working extremely late the night before. Coincidentally, he was the gentleman that spoke with you Friday night and arranged for your other room.
The room you occupied at the MainStay Suites was immediately taken out of order on Friday evening and inspected by two members of our housekeeping staff on Saturday morning. No evidence of bed bugs was found by either staff member. The General Manager returned to the property Saturday after lunch and inspected the room as well and he also verified there was no evidence of bed bugs. The room has remained out of service and inspected twice daily to date and no one has seen any sign or evidence of bed bugs.
The owner called you Monday morning and spoke with you by cell phone. He informed you he would turn the matter over to our insurance company for follow-up. Since there is no evidence of any bed bugs in the room, it is entirely inappropriate for us to pay you the $200.00 cash as you demanded. You have yet to visit a doctor to verify or deny your bites were bed bugs. As I understand, the group you traveled with attended a couple of outdoor events, so other insects could be responsible for the bites.
We in the hospitality business take this bed bug outbreak very seriously. Just because they are called “bed” bugs does not mean that is the only place you can come in contact with them. They are in many areas of the community included city buses and taxis, airplanes, department stores, theaters, colleges, public housing, and even hospitals. There are many other areas in our daily lives that we could come in contact with these insects and don’t even know it. It is quite possible through your travels from New York, you could have come in contact with bed bugs and carried them with you. As hoteliers, we are as much a victim as anyone because we are assumed to be the major cause of spreading these inspects. In actuality, we are as much a victim as anyone. Anytime there is a report of bed bug suspicion, we immediately block the room. If treatment is necessary, we lose the revenue for the rental of the room as well as the cost of extermination.
Since there is no evidence of bed bugs as you imply with your TripAdvisor review, I consider your comments to be slander and I am considering seeking legal advice. We, as a company have gone out of our way to accommodate you with another room at our nearby hotel. It is also my understanding that along with the Roanoke Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau, it was decided that you would return home early and not remain a part of the travel writers that were invited to the Roanoke Valley.
If any of our future guests would like to know more about this false review, you may feel free to contact me as I would be happy to discuss this further.
540-992-4077
Washington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The front desk clerks are very easy to talk to. I especially enjoyed chatting with Curtis Saunders, when I visited Roanoke this summer. It made being away from home a little more bearable. The room was clean and the hotel was obviously well maintained. I felt safe while I stayed there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Keith,
Thanks so much for your nice comments concerning your recent stay. Curtis is a pleasure to talk with and she loves meeting and chatting with our guests
We all look forward to your visit in the future.
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Been to MainStay Suites Airport? Share your experiences!