“Always a delight” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MainStay Suites Airport

Save Saved
You added MainStay Suites Airport to your Saves list
MainStay Suites Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5080 Valley View Blvd., 5070 Valley View Blvd, Roanoke, VA 24012   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
“Always a delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Honestly, I would only stay here when traveling to Roanoke if I had my choice. I am always greeted warmly. The rooms are very clean (though I once had a bad experience here that was corrected immediately and I was not charged for my room).

There are new HD televisions in the suites since my last visit. As I had a wee bit of trouble, I called the front desk. Advice was given and staff volunteered to come up right away.

Really, I enjoy this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal guest of the MainStay Suites Airport. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you when in the Roanoke area.
I am pleased you have enjoyed your multiple visits with us. Sometimes a problem does arise, and I am glad the staff has been able to handle your concerns with efficiency.
We look forward to you visiting us in the future.

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brandywine, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Good morning, I would like to comment on my recent stays at this hotel. My business has me traveling to the Ronoake area, I have stayed at the location 4 or five times. Each time, I have had the pleasure to check in when Curtis is working the front desk. Since my first stay, Curtis has been exceptional. She makes the checking in process so delightful, it's like arriving at a home away from home. It takes alot to impress me when it comes to hotel stays and the like, but I will only stay at the Main Stay Suites when I'm in Roanoke. I am a long time Hilton Honors member. Thank you for having a team member who understands what good customer relations is all about.

Al Barner

albarner4309@aol.com

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Mr. Barner,
Thanks so much for your comments and kind words about the hotel and in particular, Mrs. Curtis. She is an amazing lady and treats all of our guests as though they were coming into her home.
I will pass along your kind words and give Mrs. Curtis a pat on the back.
Thank you for being a repeat guest with us and we all look forward to seeing you again.
woodstock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We've stayed here before- the rooms are clean- though some corners in the bath room area could use a scrubbing!. The staff is very helpful, polite and considerate. This location is very convenient to downtown Roanoke. We noticed this visit that the milk in the fridge that is in the free breakfast area was out dated. When we asked for a container with a fresh date, the person working that day- while she was going to get a fresh milk, said she was trying to get rid of the out dated ones. " You can drink the milk up to three days after the date" she says. Well, that may be, says I, but the stamp clearly says use by.... Just makes me wonder what other short cuts in the food area the staff is taking.

Room Tip: rooms on the Hershberger side will have some traffic noise till midnight
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you have returned to stay with us again and I certainly value your comments. I have already spoken with the General Manager concerning the expired milk containers and I can assure you this will not happen again, nor will any cutting corners with food preparation, storage, or usage be tolerated. We value the safety of our guests and will take every step necessary to assure it.
Thanks again for your comments and We look forward to you returning to stay with us in the future.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I'm a flight attendant so I've stayed in different hotels both in the U.S. and International and I have to say this is one of the best hotel I've stayed in. Friendly service, interior decore was very cozy and imaginative, has delicious complimentary breakfast, the room was very homey. I really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your comments concerning your recent stay at the MainStay Suites Airport. We are pleased your stay was enjoyable and you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. As a flight attendant, I am sure you have experienced all types of hotel stays and I am pleased you rate us so highly. We look forward to a return visit should you be in the Roanoke Valley in the future.
Chesterfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have stayed at this facility for a couple of years now. Curtis always makes us feel special as she greets us with a smile and cheerful disposition. She is always willing to help in any way.

This past visit, I left my purse in the breakfast area without realizing it. Soon after we returned to our room, Amanda called from the front desk saying that she had found it. What honesty and sincere joy she showed in returning it to me!

We are grateful for quality employees at this hotel. We will return to visit in the future.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for being a loyal guest of the hotel and for sharing your comments of your recent visit to the MainStay Suites Airport.
I am pleased your purse was returned safely and I will pass along your comments to Curtis and Amanda.
We look forward to serving your lodging needs in the future.
Middletown, DE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

First I want to start off with letting you all know that I am not a complainer. I always find "the gold" in the situation. So I'm not going to nit-pick about ever little thing when I review places.

We stayed here in October while traveling to Nashville for a conference. It was my husband and I and my two adult children. Check-in was very pleasant. The lady at the front desk was super friendly (and we are super friendly people to begin with so it's easy to strike up a conversation). We arrived there late so we got there, threw our bags in the room and then headed out to get some dinner.

We arrived back around 10:30pm (and had to be up at about 6 the next morning). My husband and I took the bed near the window in the "bedroom area" of the room; my son took the bed next to the bathroom area and my daughter took the pullout couch in the "living room" area.

Here's a list of what was not to our liking (and we did let the hotel know the next morning):

- The shower curtain smelled like dirty water which really stunk up the entire room. We didn't notice it at first; perhaps it was after we turned the heat up that the smell really permeated the room. Since the bedroom was right off the bathroom, we had to smell this all night (even though the bathroom door was closed).

- The pullout couch was all springs. My daughter said it was just painful to sleep on.

- The way the bathroom & sink area were situated left no area of privacy. Let me explain. You have the two beds that were adjacent to an area that had the sink on one side and the closet on the other; when you walked through that area you had the bathroom which was really tiny. If you were to take a shower, you couldn't bring your clothes in the bathroom with you because they would become soaked. You'd have to get dressed near the sink area. But.....if someone is still sleeping in the bed right next to that area, there is no curtain to give you privacy. Sure it wouldn't matter if it was just a couple there but for a family, it was really an issue. Plus with the stink in the bathroom, no one wanted to shower anyway.

- A couple of days after leaving that hotel, all of us had some kind of upper respiratory bug. I'm sure it's because of what we were breathing in all night at that hotel, sad to say.

- It was a nice gesture to offer "breakfast" to your patrons, but it really could have been to a higher standard for the price paid for the room. Something they might want to improve upon.

It is my hope that with this review and that which I left with the hotel staff, that they will improve their rooms. Bring them into the 21st century and make sure that there aren't any smells that people have to contend with. Hope this was a helpful review.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your candid comments concerning your recent visit to the MainStay Suites Airport. I apologize we missed the opportunity to live up to our standards. I am truly sorry you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. I have taken it as a personal matter to inspect your room and follow up with maintenance and housekeeping to correct all issues you stated so this unpleasant stay is not experienced by any future guests. I trust should you return to the Roanoke area, you will give us another opportunity.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We found this hotel through the Choice Hotels site. We'd never used this brand before and were very pleased. The suite is set up for a long term stay, complete with a full sized fridge, dishwasher, dishes, sofa and recliner in the living area. The king size bed was very comfortable. The location is great, near many restaurants and the Valley View Mall. Access to I-581 is easy. Location is close to the airport and an easy drive to the downtown area or back to I-81.
The breakfast was excellent. There was hot sausage and eggs along with the usual fare of a waffles, cereals, sweet buns, bowl of fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. Staff was friendly and helpful. We would choose this hotel again for a Roanoke stay.

Room Tip: Our room was near the elevator and laundry but we had no problems with noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
What a great description you provided of our rooms. I really don't have anything to add. Thank you so much for giving furture guests an idea of the accommodations we offer. Also, you know what they say...."location, location, location!" We have it all. Convenient to the airport, downtown, areas largest shopping mall, restaurants, and I-81.
We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Roanoke Valley.
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Been to MainStay Suites Airport? Share your experiences!