“Cheerfulness and Hontesty is Appreciated” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MainStay Suites Airport

You added MainStay Suites Airport to your Saves list
MainStay Suites Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5080 Valley View Blvd., 5070 Valley View Blvd, Roanoke, VA 24012   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Cheerfulness and Hontesty is Appreciated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have stayed at this facility for a couple of years now. Curtis always makes us feel special as she greets us with a smile and cheerful disposition. She is always willing to help in any way.

This past visit, I left my purse in the breakfast area without realizing it. Soon after we returned to our room, Amanda called from the front desk saying that she had found it. What honesty and sincere joy she showed in returning it to me!

We are grateful for quality employees at this hotel. We will return to visit in the future.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at MainStay Suites Airport, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for being a loyal guest of the hotel and for sharing your comments of your recent visit to the MainStay Suites Airport.
I am pleased your purse was returned safely and I will pass along your comments to Curtis and Amanda.
We look forward to serving your lodging needs in the future.
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Middletown, DE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

First I want to start off with letting you all know that I am not a complainer. I always find "the gold" in the situation. So I'm not going to nit-pick about ever little thing when I review places.

We stayed here in October while traveling to Nashville for a conference. It was my husband and I and my two adult children. Check-in was very pleasant. The lady at the front desk was super friendly (and we are super friendly people to begin with so it's easy to strike up a conversation). We arrived there late so we got there, threw our bags in the room and then headed out to get some dinner.

We arrived back around 10:30pm (and had to be up at about 6 the next morning). My husband and I took the bed near the window in the "bedroom area" of the room; my son took the bed next to the bathroom area and my daughter took the pullout couch in the "living room" area.

Here's a list of what was not to our liking (and we did let the hotel know the next morning):

- The shower curtain smelled like dirty water which really stunk up the entire room. We didn't notice it at first; perhaps it was after we turned the heat up that the smell really permeated the room. Since the bedroom was right off the bathroom, we had to smell this all night (even though the bathroom door was closed).

- The pullout couch was all springs. My daughter said it was just painful to sleep on.

- The way the bathroom & sink area were situated left no area of privacy. Let me explain. You have the two beds that were adjacent to an area that had the sink on one side and the closet on the other; when you walked through that area you had the bathroom which was really tiny. If you were to take a shower, you couldn't bring your clothes in the bathroom with you because they would become soaked. You'd have to get dressed near the sink area. But.....if someone is still sleeping in the bed right next to that area, there is no curtain to give you privacy. Sure it wouldn't matter if it was just a couple there but for a family, it was really an issue. Plus with the stink in the bathroom, no one wanted to shower anyway.

- A couple of days after leaving that hotel, all of us had some kind of upper respiratory bug. I'm sure it's because of what we were breathing in all night at that hotel, sad to say.

- It was a nice gesture to offer "breakfast" to your patrons, but it really could have been to a higher standard for the price paid for the room. Something they might want to improve upon.

It is my hope that with this review and that which I left with the hotel staff, that they will improve their rooms. Bring them into the 21st century and make sure that there aren't any smells that people have to contend with. Hope this was a helpful review.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your candid comments concerning your recent visit to the MainStay Suites Airport. I apologize we missed the opportunity to live up to our standards. I am truly sorry you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. I have taken it as a personal matter to inspect your room and follow up with maintenance and housekeeping to correct all issues you stated so this unpleasant stay is not experienced by any future guests. I trust should you return to the Roanoke area, you will give us another opportunity.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We found this hotel through the Choice Hotels site. We'd never used this brand before and were very pleased. The suite is set up for a long term stay, complete with a full sized fridge, dishwasher, dishes, sofa and recliner in the living area. The king size bed was very comfortable. The location is great, near many restaurants and the Valley View Mall. Access to I-581 is easy. Location is close to the airport and an easy drive to the downtown area or back to I-81.
The breakfast was excellent. There was hot sausage and eggs along with the usual fare of a waffles, cereals, sweet buns, bowl of fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. Staff was friendly and helpful. We would choose this hotel again for a Roanoke stay.

Room Tip: Our room was near the elevator and laundry but we had no problems with noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
What a great description you provided of our rooms. I really don't have anything to add. Thank you so much for giving furture guests an idea of the accommodations we offer. Also, you know what they say...."location, location, location!" We have it all. Convenient to the airport, downtown, areas largest shopping mall, restaurants, and I-81.
We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Roanoke Valley.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night while driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. A little ways into town, but not too bad of a drive. I will echo the previous comment about GPS not finding the exact location, but a little common sense is all you need. The only thing keeping this from being a 5 star review is that both the blanket on the bed and the spare in the closet were both covered in hair-either weren't washed properly, or housekeeping is doing some major shedding. The front desk was very friendly when I asked for an extra blanket, but provided a much smaller one that didn't cover the bed.

I would still recommend this hotel, but would advise anyone staying here to check the blankets and sheets carefullly before climbing into bed.

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed in10 hotels whilst on holiday from UK. The front desk receptionist, Curtis, was one of the nicest staff members we met on our travels. Welcoming, friendly and helpful. Hotel was reasonably priced and clean. Booked for 1 night but following day, booked in for an additional night.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Whitby, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Front desk was funny and extreemly helpful. Great check in and check out. Room was spotless, rate was good, breakfast and WIFI included. I had a suite which was wonderful. Everytning was great for my one night stay. Would recomend it for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Curtis,the front desk staff member was very friendly and helpful. She was a joy to see at the front desk. Ralph,the shuttle bus driver was friendly,and a excellent host. These two people were very professional. They made a bad day good. Bonnie-front desk staff was a pill to swallow. I received a call from her,regarding my room. She informed me that I did not need a room for 5 people and was changing my room. She informed me that the room I had booked was not the syste rate and she needed the rooms. I informed her that the rate on line for these rooms was for the syste rate. I had no problem exchanging the rooms if needed;however Bonnie did not approach the situation in a professional manner. Hotel need to change the menu for breakfast and update the room decor. Hotel was clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to MainStay Suites Airport? Share your experiences!