“Great surprise -- go!” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Great surprise -- go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Honestly, I just went for the building, and the building alone is worth a visit. Although it is somewhat squished between the railroad tracks and two major roads, this building is fascinating, from the inside as well as from the outside. But inside, the big surprise (I had just returned from NYC, so I was a bit spoiled): Six exhibits and some nice pieces from the collection. The most stunning exhibit for me was Ed Burtynsky, Oil, an exhibit that has toured half of the world (Canada, Berlin, Stockholm, etc.), with very strong, large scale photographs, graphic style that abstracts much of the emotion that could be in the pictures. Than the Faberge collection of the Hodges Family, a great collection of many wonderful and really artistic creations; everybody who likes the more applied arts should see that. Harold Little's pictures of the various Virginian Landscapes were inspiring, Unusual Folk Art was touching, and Anne Ferrer's Hot Pink inflated sculture is a wonderful peace of French Art that fits right into the Museum Atrium. Everything is very well kept, the brochures are informative, and despite of the many exhibits, there is enough open space to relax from all the impressions. Excellent. Wish them many visitors, they really deserve it!

Visited November 2012

Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“My mom said that if I have nothing good to say....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place just misses the mark. Too much empty, open, unused space and the exhibits they get are just...well...terrible (and I love art!). I wanted to support this place. I wanted Roanoke to be more than just a railroad town...but yeah...this place is not worth the very expensive entrance fee. Better museums...world class museums (such as the Philadelphia Art Museum) are cheaper and offer amazing exhibits such as Renoir, Degas, Dali, etc.

Visited December 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
18 attraction reviews
“Well done”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Several very intersting galleries, both the permanent and changing exhibits. Stunning building. As a bonus, it was free!

Lynchburg
8 attraction reviews
“Not a fan here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

First, it must be said that I am not a big lover of art. I can enjoy a good sculpture or painting, but beyond that I can take it or leave it. The location of the museum is convenient in downtown and close to many other things to do and see, and the building is something to be seen, but overall it was a boring 45-minute visit for me. There was just nothing to hold my attention. Lots of empty space and not much art. Disappointing considering how much money the thing cost to build, and how wildly out of place the architecture is in Roanoke. The art museum is a polarizing topic in this city for sure.

Roanoke, Virginia
“Museums are NOT supposed to be so NOISY!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Since the admissions have been lifted I expected it would be crowded but I went for a special exhibit of Harold Little, an artist friend of mine who died last year. His exposition was in a TINY gallery but there was an annoying theatrical guy guide there who made the experience unbearable by nearly yelling out the "interesting influences of Harold's artwork" in that little studio---I didn't ask for, nor did I want an interpretation. He then announced he was moving to the atrium area to sing a song, at which time he'd already lost me & my companion---we just wanted him gone. His theatrical booming voice in that small space only detracted from the experience of Harold's art; the acoustics made it unbearable. When did it get to be that going to a museum could no longer mean a quiet and private time of reflection and appreciation?

Visited October 2012

Been to Taubman Museum of Art? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Taubman Museum of Art, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.