“My mom said that if I have nothing good to say....” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 20 Attractions in Roanoke
Type: Art Museums, Museums
Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“My mom said that if I have nothing good to say....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place just misses the mark. Too much empty, open, unused space and the exhibits they get are just...well...terrible (and I love art!). I wanted to support this place. I wanted Roanoke to be more than just a railroad town...but yeah...this place is not worth the very expensive entrance fee. Better museums...world class museums (such as the Philadelphia Art Museum) are cheaper and offer amazing exhibits such as Renoir, Degas, Dali, etc.

Visited December 2011

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
18 attraction reviews
“Well done”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Several very intersting galleries, both the permanent and changing exhibits. Stunning building. As a bonus, it was free!

Lynchburg
9 attraction reviews
“Not a fan here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

First, it must be said that I am not a big lover of art. I can enjoy a good sculpture or painting, but beyond that I can take it or leave it. The location of the museum is convenient in downtown and close to many other things to do and see, and the building is something to be seen, but overall it was a boring 45-minute visit for me. There was just nothing to hold my attention. Lots of empty space and not much art. Disappointing considering how much money the thing cost to build, and how wildly out of place the architecture is in Roanoke. The art museum is a polarizing topic in this city for sure.

Roanoke, Virginia
“Museums are NOT supposed to be so NOISY!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Since the admissions have been lifted I expected it would be crowded but I went for a special exhibit of Harold Little, an artist friend of mine who died last year. His exposition was in a TINY gallery but there was an annoying theatrical guy guide there who made the experience unbearable by nearly yelling out the "interesting influences of Harold's artwork" in that little studio---I didn't ask for, nor did I want an interpretation. He then announced he was moving to the atrium area to sing a song, at which time he'd already lost me & my companion---we just wanted him gone. His theatrical booming voice in that small space only detracted from the experience of Harold's art; the acoustics made it unbearable. When did it get to be that going to a museum could no longer mean a quiet and private time of reflection and appreciation?

New Bern, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
“Norah's Cafe is it's own kind of art!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Attended a women's conference at the Civic Center last weekend and during our lunch break, stumbled upon Norah's Cafe at the Taubman. We ordered lunch and sat in their lovely outside dining area enjoying a little sunshine before returning to our event. What came to our table was art in itself....a lovely salad filled with the freshest of fresh ingredients, a wonderful dressing that set off the salad so perfectly, and a glass of red wine to finish it off. The servers and chefs were professional, kind, and welcoming. I have had much lesser service as much better-known high end restaurants. Thanks guys for a wonderful respite to a rather hectic day, for wonderful/beautiful food, and for your kindness and charm! Hope it's a fine day at Norah's today...I'll see you next time I'm in Roanoke! Thanks, thanks, thanks.