“Nice lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Roots is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 420 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cross street: Memorial Ave
Fincastle
“Nice lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Was looking for a place for lunch while visiting Roanoke. Decided to give this place a try - good choice. In between lunch and dinner the hot food line is down so they offered us soup and salad. We each had a lovely green salad with a nice, light, but tasty dressing and a cup of chilled zucchini soup. Just what we needed to refresh but not overeat too soon before dinner. Great bar, too. Try the gin & juice, tasty with some unexpected ingredients.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Reading, Pennsylvania
“Not a great as the reviews state”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Four of us went to dinner at Local Roots on Friday night. We did have reservations and we seated immediately. Although 3 of us had good meals, my meal was not very good. I had the chicken which was supposed to be served with spaetzle, carrots and snap peas. Here is what I was served; two small carrots, no snap peas, no spaetzle, and tasteless chicken. There was one small chicken leg with little to no meat on it and two rolled up pieces of chicken that tasted like cardboard. It was awful. We did not have desert, went for frozen yogurt. No point on prolonging my dissatisfaction. Why is this place the #1 restaurant? By the way, I left the place hungry. The only reason I am giving this a 3 is because my husband said his meal was good.

Visited July 2014
Diane E, Owner at Local Roots, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear bitc1976, First of all thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at Local Roots - A Farm to Table Restaurant. We are happy to know that your dining companions enjoyed their meal but, of course, very unhappy, that you found yours so disappointing. I have checked with our executive chef about the execution of the Duo of Chicken which is what you had. It consists of a smoked heritage chicken leg and two chicken roulades made of breast meat making a six ounce portion of protein. The plate should have five baby carrots, house made spaetzle under the chicken and around it, and chiffonaded snap peas. The pea preparation is such that you may not recognize it as peas, but thinly sliced pea pods, looking like green ribbons. So there was not a clear serving of each item but a presentation incorporating all the elements. Did your server realize that you were not happy with your dish? If we had known, we would have prepared something else for you or made compensation on your bill. We aim for all our guests to be pleased with their Local Roots experience. If you would consider it, we would like to send you a gift card so you could give us another try. We have made a number of people happy at our restaurant and we would like to have you be happy with us also. If you are interested, and we hope you are,please send me your
address via e-mail and I will send a card to you ASAP. My e-mail is diane@localrootsrestaurant.com
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Very nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I honestly did not expect a restaurant of this quality in a town like Roanoke. I expected more grill, meat, burgers but this was high class cuisine.

Visited July 2014
Roanoke, Virginia
“Culinary Art!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

There are very few restaurants I've been too--and I've been to highly rated joints in Spain, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Canada, Mexico, and countless eateries in the Caribbean and South America--that offer such high quality fare as Local Roots. My twelve-year-old daughter, who, believe it or not, is a connoisseur of steak--she absolutely deplores steaks brought to her cooked even slightly more than medium rare--compares all steak dishes to the Hotel Roanoke's Steak Diane. And Local Root's ancient white park flat iron steak confit kennebec potato, roasted beet, wilted summer greens, and coffee is, according to her, the only steak she has had that is better. Nor could I say that the Leaping waters pork duo spaetzle, snap peas, baby carrot, and pickled cherry was any less delectable. The food was not only novel, but exquisitely displayed: hence the title "Culinary Art!" The presentation of the dishes--even the basil ice cream (I know that sounds gross, but it was rather delicious, as per my daughter)--was equal to anything I've ordered at contemporary restaurants in New York, San Francisco, or Miami.
To sum up: Local Roots is quite possibly the single-most underrated restaurant east of the Mississippi!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Stellar Service and Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The menu isn't that extensive at Local Roots, which gave me some pause. However, everything we ordered from the summer squash bisque to the cheese plate to my daughter's grilled cheese sandwich was OUTSTANDING. You MUST eat here!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere