“A gorgeous inn with great hosts and food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of King George Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roanoke
King George Inn
You added King George Inn to your Saves list
315 King George Ave SW, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Roanoke B&B and Inns
Johnson City, Tennessee
“A gorgeous inn with great hosts and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our way back from Washington, D.C. The historic inn has been beautifully restored and decorated by the owners. The owners recommended an excellent neighborhood restaurant and served us an outstanding eggs benedict breakfast. Our room was lovely and comfortable. The rooms do not have televisions which we didn't miss but some might.

Room Tip: All the rooms are large and beautifully furnished.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Whitetop, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Have you ever had the experience of arriving at a beautiful bed and breakfast and feeling yourself exhale as soon as you pull in the driveway? That's the pleasure we have each and every time we arrive at the King George Inn; be it for a night or a long weekend. We are always greeted by Innkeepers, Jim and Lynn, and shown to our beautiful, spacious room with hardwood floors and high ceilings. The beds and linens are heavenly and the on-suites boast original tubs and tiles, and amazing water pressure!
Another simple pleasure - meeting other inn guests in the Living Room for wine and cheese. We have met wonderful travelers from all over the US; many of whom, like ourselves, are return visitors to the King George Inn. Lynn and Jim always try to sit and talk with their guests for a bit. It's a pleasure to get to know the people under who's roof you're sleeping.
Then there's breakfast. Lynn is an excellent cook! She has served wonderful shirred eggs with sun-dried tomatoes and potatoes; apple streusel with yogurt and local honey; French press decaf coffee or the freshest of teas. And then there's the wonderful experience of starting the day at the dining table with other guests and discussing where everyone is going.
Selecting the King George Inn will provide a wonderful, memorable experience. We look forward to traveling to Roanoke just to stay at the King George. Thank you Lynn and Jim for another FABULOUS stay!

Room Tip: Each room is beautiful and well appointed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
kinggeorgeinn, Owner at King George Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Sue and Thomas,
Thank you so much for your gracious review. We always look forward to your visits and an update on your busy schedule. We wish you much happiness in your new home and a wonderful holiday season.
Thanks again for your kind words...they are greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Lynn and Jim Hunt
Centreville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was disappointed from walking in the door and getting the look of "Why are you here, you're not welcome." When I said I had a reservation I was told that I did not and even when I showed them my printed reservation I was told I didn't have it and that I cancelled. Lynn was very condescending especially when she kept insisting that I was the gift card person. This was said like it was dirty words - "Those Gift Card people." I had not idea what she was talking about because I was reserving the room with no coupons or discounts. I was told it was my fault my reservations were cancelled and that their record keeping was perfect. She refused to acknowledge her confirmation emailes to me or that she even communicated with me. When I tried telling her how disappointed I was because I made the reservations 3 months in advance for a special birthday for my husband - that didn't matter to her because I should be happy it was just a birthday that we didn't get to celebrate and her husband was in the hospital. I must say the reception and friendliness I received at the Sheraton was much better than I received at the King George Inn. There was absolutely no professionalism from the owners who wanted my money. Totally unacceptable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
kinggeorgeinn, Owner at King George Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Wendy,
Sometimes crazy things happen. The fact that a "Wendy" called and cancelled the reservation left no doubt in my mind to eliminate that guestroom. Apparently it wasn't you. However, we did have another room available for you of which you choose not to take. We would have loved to have had you join us and our other guests, but your dissappoint over not having the King George Room was just too great...so therefore you chose to go elsewhere.
I offerred you the lovely Elizabeth room at a discounted rate and your friend found it satisfactory, however, you chose to leave. I'm relieved to hear there was a room for you at a nearby hotel. .Part of the confusion was another couple walked in behind you and requested a room, so with four people to deal with and a situation, I was a little overwhelmed not condesending. We truly are sorry about this unfortunate incident and we hope you will accept our apology.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Found this on TripAdvisor - chose it based on photos and reviews. The B&B is located in a historic neighborhood right outside of downtown Roanoke. Our room, Queen Victoria, was very large with a good size bathroom with all the original fixtures. I had a restaurant picked out but our hostess, Lynn, suggested the Wildflower Cafe around the corner - and boy was that a good recommendation. Lynn was teaching Jim how to cook breakfast the following morning. I suggest Jim have a few more lessons before being let loose on his own. The egg omelet was wet for my liking but otherwise the rest of the breakfast was okay. The highlight of our stay was our enchanting conversation with Lynn & Jim over breakfast. I even got a departing hug before hitting the road.

Room Tip: Take a look at the photos and choose a room. They are all large and most have bathrooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night after driving from Washington via the Shenandoah NP.
Greeted warmly by Jim and shown to the King George Room. It was spacious and welcoming after our long journey. Large bathroom with wonderfully fluffy towels. Comfortable bed. No tv in the room, but no problem in a B&B. Jim recommended Wildflour for dinner. The restaurant was within walking distance. What a great recommendation.
Breakfast was delicious and both hosts were chatty and friendly.
Free wifi a bonus.
Overall a fantastic place to stay. Would recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked spacious from what we saw. Beautiful heritage property.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
kinggeorgeinn, Owner at King George Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your gracious review. Its because of imput like yours that continues to keep our friends from the UK returning again and again. The Roanoke region of Virginia is truly a magical place and we're so pleased you were able to experience it, as well as the King George Inn..
Jim and Lynn Hunt
Innkeepers
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday for 1 night as we made our way down the Blue Ridge Parkway and choose here as it was not overly far from the access point.
On arrival we were greeted by Jim and shown to our room - the Queen Victoria. It is a large room with a 4 poster bed. The bathroom is also large with an old cast iron bath and an overhead shower. The room does not have a TV but there is one in the communal lounge area on the ground floor (1st floor in the USA!). The bedrooms (4) are all situated upstairs on the same floor. There is also a communal sitting area there with books and board games available. Wi-Fi is available throughout.
The bed and linen must be amongst the best I've ever slept in!
One slight disappointment is that whoever was responsible for cleaning the floor in the bedroom didn't do a good job. There were a couple shopping receipts lying next to a chair plus there were some crumbs around. A shame.
Jim recommended the Metro restaurant for dinner which was downtown. As it was a nice evening we decided to walk and it only took about 20 minutes. A great recommendation - see my separate review.
Breakfast - started with a yogurt parfait. Delicious. The cooked course was Belgian Waffles. Again very nice ............ and filling!
In summary: delightful hosts, beautiful house, good location, great bed, lovely breakfast but shame about the blip in room cleaning.

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

When we went to parent's weekend to see our daughter at Hollin's University, we decided to not do the traditional hotel we always go to and went w/ a bed and breakfast. I actually work at a bed and breakfast so I'm a little more critical than most. We arrived late, but they were super sweet to let us in and we went straight to bed in the cozy Charlotte room (room is Much larger than in photo and bathroom was enormous). They fed us a fabulous gluten-free breakfast, as they advertised...pears and yogurt was perfect to start with. I didn't even miss not having a TV in the bedroom and found a quiet spot in a comfy antique chair to read for awhile. We had a great day w/ my daughter at the Roanoke star, zoo and I highly recommend the Metro restaurant on the square. If you are looking for a nice spot to spend a few days or visiting your student at Hollins, I would recommend this quaint and artfully decorated Inn...We will definitely be back. To the Owners, thank you for giving us a relaxing weekend and wonderful memory...If you come to Charleston, SC, please stop by the Inn at Ion where I work so I can wait on you next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to King George Inn? Share your experiences!