“Lost/Cancelled Reservation - Condescending Hostess” 1 of 5 stars
Review of King George Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roanoke
King George Inn
315 King George Ave SW, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Roanoke B&B and Inns
Centreville, Virginia
“Lost/Cancelled Reservation - Condescending Hostess”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was disappointed from walking in the door and getting the look of "Why are you here, you're not welcome." When I said I had a reservation I was told that I did not and even when I showed them my printed reservation I was told I didn't have it and that I cancelled. Lynn was very condescending especially when she kept insisting that I was the gift card person. This was said like it was dirty words - "Those Gift Card people." I had not idea what she was talking about because I was reserving the room with no coupons or discounts. I was told it was my fault my reservations were cancelled and that their record keeping was perfect. She refused to acknowledge her confirmation emailes to me or that she even communicated with me. When I tried telling her how disappointed I was because I made the reservations 3 months in advance for a special birthday for my husband - that didn't matter to her because I should be happy it was just a birthday that we didn't get to celebrate and her husband was in the hospital. I must say the reception and friendliness I received at the Sheraton was much better than I received at the King George Inn. There was absolutely no professionalism from the owners who wanted my money. Totally unacceptable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
kinggeorgeinn, Owner at King George Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Wendy,
Sometimes crazy things happen. The fact that a "Wendy" called and cancelled the reservation left no doubt in my mind to eliminate that guestroom. Apparently it wasn't you. However, we did have another room available for you of which you choose not to take. We would have loved to have had you join us and our other guests, but your dissappoint over not having the King George Room was just too great...so therefore you chose to go elsewhere.
I offerred you the lovely Elizabeth room at a discounted rate and your friend found it satisfactory, however, you chose to leave. I'm relieved to hear there was a room for you at a nearby hotel. .Part of the confusion was another couple walked in behind you and requested a room, so with four people to deal with and a situation, I was a little overwhelmed not condesending. We truly are sorry about this unfortunate incident and we hope you will accept our apology.

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Found this on TripAdvisor - chose it based on photos and reviews. The B&B is located in a historic neighborhood right outside of downtown Roanoke. Our room, Queen Victoria, was very large with a good size bathroom with all the original fixtures. I had a restaurant picked out but our hostess, Lynn, suggested the Wildflower Cafe around the corner - and boy was that a good recommendation. Lynn was teaching Jim how to cook breakfast the following morning. I suggest Jim have a few more lessons before being let loose on his own. The egg omelet was wet for my liking but otherwise the rest of the breakfast was okay. The highlight of our stay was our enchanting conversation with Lynn & Jim over breakfast. I even got a departing hug before hitting the road.

Room Tip: Take a look at the photos and choose a room. They are all large and most have bathrooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night after driving from Washington via the Shenandoah NP.
Greeted warmly by Jim and shown to the King George Room. It was spacious and welcoming after our long journey. Large bathroom with wonderfully fluffy towels. Comfortable bed. No tv in the room, but no problem in a B&B. Jim recommended Wildflour for dinner. The restaurant was within walking distance. What a great recommendation.
Breakfast was delicious and both hosts were chatty and friendly.
Free wifi a bonus.
Overall a fantastic place to stay. Would recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked spacious from what we saw. Beautiful heritage property.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
kinggeorgeinn, Owner at King George Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your gracious review. Its because of imput like yours that continues to keep our friends from the UK returning again and again. The Roanoke region of Virginia is truly a magical place and we're so pleased you were able to experience it, as well as the King George Inn..
Jim and Lynn Hunt
Innkeepers
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday for 1 night as we made our way down the Blue Ridge Parkway and choose here as it was not overly far from the access point.
On arrival we were greeted by Jim and shown to our room - the Queen Victoria. It is a large room with a 4 poster bed. The bathroom is also large with an old cast iron bath and an overhead shower. The room does not have a TV but there is one in the communal lounge area on the ground floor (1st floor in the USA!). The bedrooms (4) are all situated upstairs on the same floor. There is also a communal sitting area there with books and board games available. Wi-Fi is available throughout.
The bed and linen must be amongst the best I've ever slept in!
One slight disappointment is that whoever was responsible for cleaning the floor in the bedroom didn't do a good job. There were a couple shopping receipts lying next to a chair plus there were some crumbs around. A shame.
Jim recommended the Metro restaurant for dinner which was downtown. As it was a nice evening we decided to walk and it only took about 20 minutes. A great recommendation - see my separate review.
Breakfast - started with a yogurt parfait. Delicious. The cooked course was Belgian Waffles. Again very nice ............ and filling!
In summary: delightful hosts, beautiful house, good location, great bed, lovely breakfast but shame about the blip in room cleaning.

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

When we went to parent's weekend to see our daughter at Hollin's University, we decided to not do the traditional hotel we always go to and went w/ a bed and breakfast. I actually work at a bed and breakfast so I'm a little more critical than most. We arrived late, but they were super sweet to let us in and we went straight to bed in the cozy Charlotte room (room is Much larger than in photo and bathroom was enormous). They fed us a fabulous gluten-free breakfast, as they advertised...pears and yogurt was perfect to start with. I didn't even miss not having a TV in the bedroom and found a quiet spot in a comfy antique chair to read for awhile. We had a great day w/ my daughter at the Roanoke star, zoo and I highly recommend the Metro restaurant on the square. If you are looking for a nice spot to spend a few days or visiting your student at Hollins, I would recommend this quaint and artfully decorated Inn...We will definitely be back. To the Owners, thank you for giving us a relaxing weekend and wonderful memory...If you come to Charleston, SC, please stop by the Inn at Ion where I work so I can wait on you next time.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

stayed only one night in the largest room we ever stayed in a B&B with good sized bathroom; had an easy 20-minute walk to the downtown Roanoke area for dinner - great restaurants and shops; also had an excellent breakfast with pleasant and knowledgeable innkeepers and guests.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilliard, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Inn Keepers Jim and Lynn Hunt define "Southern Hospitality". My husband and I began our trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Roanoke, and the Inn was only 5 miles from the access point! I can't stress enough the following: Spacious Suite, with Luxury Linens and a terrific mattress, Beautiful Artwork, Furnishings, and best of all was the gourmet breakfast that Lynn prepared! It was not only scrumptious, there was a lot of it. It was presented in the dining room on lovely china, we wanted for nothing at the King George Inn. We are so impressed with the city of Roanoke that we want to go back and spend time there. We have had the good fortune of traveling and staying in some fine hotels, this is one that we are looking forward to returning.

Most Sincerely,

Rebekah and Michael Thompson

Room Tip: The King George Room for sure! In looking around the house, it occurred to us that we could bring ou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to King George Inn? Share your experiences!