“4-Star Hotel Amenities and Convenience at Budget Hotel Prices” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Brandon, Florida
“4-Star Hotel Amenities and Convenience at Budget Hotel Prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have traveled all over the USA and to 26 countries, staying in all sorts of hotels. My stay at Cambria Suites in Roanoke, VA was one of the best values I can recall anywhere, ever, with some of the most personal, friendly service as well, not to mention the whole facility is clean and fairly new. All other comparisons aside, it was also a very comfortable place to stay. With all taxes and a superb breakfast (including tip), the whole bill was less than $120 per day. Yes, you can find “cheaper” places to stay (some around here would have been $85 plus), but the reality is you get so much more in quality and range of amenities at this Cambria Suites, with it being comparable to all you would get by staying at large full-service hotels that would have cost 60-70% more. Hear me out. Cambria Suites can’t really be compared to other places, because it’s unique in its own way, and I sense the business niche they are looking to capture and control is high quality service, a wide range of amenities, and physical quality of a facility comparable to more upscale hotels but with the economic prices of smaller, budget hotels. Whether traveling alone on business, or with family on vacation, this hotel is a great choice. Details to follow! I needed to check-in several hours early, and the hotel went out of their way for me. When I called from the airport on the day of arrival to remind them of the early check-in, I didn’t even have to say my name before they told me my room was ready and assigned for whenever I chose to arrive. I know this is always based on availability but the key point here is they knew and responded to my request. I then spent all of 45 seconds at the reception counter doing the check-in process. There is a covered parking garage that is free of charge, and the elevator takes you to up to the Lobby or to the floor of your room; no stairs or switching elevators. At night, you need your room key to access the elevator from the garage level--so no worries of rif raf. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I’ve had ever in a hotel, and I could tell all the coverings were truly "clean” and "crisp". As for room space, I found the room a bit smaller than an Embassy Suites or Hilton King Deluxe Plus Plus (I also didn’t pay those higher prices), but the space was also very well planned and functional. So not a lot of space, but it functions like a lot of space and doesn't feel small at all. The two TVs in the suite are real “HD” LCD TVs with great reception. The “living room” TV is next to the computer workspace, and if desired, there are multiple jacks that will let you connect computer/DVD player/VCR/camcorder to the TV (e.g., if you want to movies from your computer’s DVD player). Unlike many hotels, the “high speed” wi-fi is really “high speed” and connecting was a snap. The thermostat on the wall nicely controls the temperature in the room with good accuracy, hot or cold. No rattling, clanging, system that you can't tell is on or off. No shared ductwork with your neighbors. There is a fridge, microwave, and coffee bar that is very well laid out and convenient, and a full length sofa/sleeper and easy chair in the living area. When going into the bathroom is will become more clear this is not one of those economical (nice enough but cheap) modular hotels, as it has a real steel bathtub with tiled, grouted walls, curved shower curtain, cultured granite countertop, glass shelves, and a designer sink. They hotel chain put a lot of emphasis on the bathroom design for sure. In short, the bathroom is not a flimsy plastic shell that is common to a lot of small hotels these days. The pool is not very big--about the size of the pool one might have have at home, but it has a separate spa and a decent sized deck; few people used it during my stay, but I noticed the ones who did seemed to enjoy it. It's also well heated and enclosed, with snow on the ground right outside! Right off the pool was my favorite point of this hotel: a nicely appointed gym with free weights and commercial quality cardio equipment like treadmills, bikes, and ellipticals. These machines are like the ones you’d find in commercial gyms that cost $5-7K apiece, not the shaky equipment sold in some department or sporting goods stores. The gym room is spacious enough and well equipped with towels, water, and flat screen TV. The breakfast is an extra charge, but the food is also comparable to what you’d get in a sit-down restaurant, is served using real china, coffee cups, and silverware with cloth napkins, and the coffee (Wolfgang Puck brand) is even better than what most restaurants serve. There is a large assortment of breads to toast, fresh (not canned) fruit, cereal, yogurt, bacon, sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, grits, fresh biscuits, gravy, and juices. They will even cooks eggs, omelets, and waffles to order if you ask. However, I found the scrambled eggs on the buffet to be fresh and very good. The coffee is comparable to Seattle’s Best or Starbucks, and there are some nice “to go” cups of the same gourmet style to take a coffee with you. If you are on a tight budget and insist on a breakfast that’s free with your room and you are willing to comprise considerably on quality all around, there are places within 5 miles to stay where you can get that level. If you want a sit-down $14-18 high-quality hot breakfast with made to order food brought to your table, then there are restaurants that offer that five minutes way too, and there is also McDonalds, BK, and Dunkin Donuts nearby. However, if you all the quality of a made-to-order hot breakfast in a sit-down restaurant, served on real china, with real silverware, great coffee, a newspaper, friendly service, that is basically within a 15 second walk from your room, then Cambria Suites is the place for you, and the $10 extra charge is worth it. Also, if you just want a cold breakfast, they offer that too for about half the price. If you have the kids along and need to save even more money, there is a supermarket within five minutes and the fridge in your room is plenty big for milk, fruit, etc, and the microwave is convenient for oatmeal, etc. Finally, if you want to do laundry, there is a coin-operated laundry room on site, and you can also get same day dry-cleaning/laundry service (something often only offered at larger, more expensive hotels). But there is also a full sized ironing board and steam iron in your room. Other comments to address concerns I’ve read by others: I saw train tracks and parked trains, but never heard a single train, not even during the day. I did see one going by when I looked out the window (but heard no whistles or rumbling). The room was well insulated from outside noise as well as noise in the hallways (I never heard anything from anyone). The business center had new model computers with point and click ease, big screens, MS Office, and a printer. I was able to check my email and print off documents as quickly as I could at the office or home (for free). To find the restaurants (and they are all over), simply go out the hotel parking lot, take a right on Reserve Ave, then left at the light (onto Franklin Ave) about 200 feet further down, and for the next 5 miles, there is about any kind restaurant you could want, from fast food, to nice chain restuarants like Red Lobster and Applebees, to Panera Bread, to Five Guys, as well as an assortment of Family, Italian, Mexican, Thai, Chinese, and even Indian restaurants. You can also find drug stores, grocery stores, convenience stores, and a mall. I did notice the suites seem dim because they are long in shape and extend inward from the window. But there are six lights/lamps in the room, and four in the bathroom. Light isn't a problem. If you are a business traveler, this is absolutely perfect. If you are a couple by yourselves on vacation, it is also perfect. If you have small children, then one room should be just fine for a few nights. If you have four adults/two couples or are a couple with mid to older teens you should consider getting two bedrooms, especially if staying more than one night. All total, Cambria Suites gave me all the comforts, quality, and range of amenities I’d have from staying at a 4-5 star hotel, but I paid the prices of a 2-3 star hotel, and the personalized service from the staff was simply awesome. As a very particular, often-traveling person, I can say that I will always look for a Cambria Suites wherever I go in the future, before looking anywhere else. This was my first time using this hotel, but definitely not my last. Give it a shot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room view of the "Star". Get one on a higer floor as well.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lynne L, General Manager at Cambria Suites Roanoke, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
WOW!! I don't even know how to thank you for this glowing review! Such a great overview of the area and all that it has to offer! Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel and I read your comments at our all associate meeting yesterday!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This is a relatively brand new hotel so it automatically wins points for looking extremely clean and updated. Large spacious suites with comfy beds. Staff are also extremely friendly and helpful. The location is a bit far from downtown but close to the hospital and a shuttle was provided for us in the morning. There is little breakfast area you can eat from in the morning, my only complaint is that it isn't complimentary, and the food is mediocre compared to places I've stayed where they offer included breakfast. The price /value is amazing for everything ($80) although I was on a corporate rate so your miles may vary. Anyway, this is my first time at a Cambria suites hotel and I will definitely try them out again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
LynneLaidlaw, General Manager at Cambria Suites Roanoke, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for the review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay! Did you know that the shuttle will take you downtown at no charge? Monday through Friday!
Stephens City, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here this past Saturday night while visiting with family. We got a great rate on the internet, and we were both very impressed with the facility. The hotel is fairly new (about 2 years), and we found it to be very clean. Our room was quite spacious.. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. we would definitely stay here again..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! Please come stay with us again!
Port Orange, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend. We got a great rate after signing up for Choice Rewards. The hotel is modern and the rooms are very spacious. The staff was friendly and the hotel is very close to he hospital and Mill Mountain. There were just a few small things we didn't like: the view from the pool area is train tracks and graffiti covered train cars, the rooms are a little dimly lit, and the hotel isn't the greatest location for downtown nightlife, but it's only a 5 min drive away. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and definitely would consider staying here again!

• Stayed November 2012
As you stayed over a holiday our complimentary shuttle was not available - but we offer service to downtown Monday through Friday until 11PM. Roanoke is a railroad town and children love the trains - I am sorry that you didn't appreciate them, but glad that you enjoyed your stay otherwise.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here driving up 81. Nice modern hotel, open concept lobby and bar/restaurant. Clean rooms. Had a king and sofa bed for kids (which was not very comfy) because they were out of rooms with 2 queens. We will get 2 queens next time. Pool is a bit small for anything other than splashing around.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! Unfortunately we do have a limited number of rooms with 2 queen beds so book early!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I arrived late, on a holiday weekend while a wedding party was celebrating...usually I would expect the worst. But this hotel was so lovely. The staff went out of their way to be helpful - from greeting me at the door and helping me find the best rate to the wonderful bartender, everyone was like family. The rooms are clean, modern and really spacious. Even with a mediocre pizza order from the restaurant, I have to give it 5 stars.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Our staff is our greatest asset! Our goal is to make you feel like family and I am so glad that we succeded!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was VERY IMPRESSED with this all suite hotel. Everything from the decor to the technology and other amenities was the best I've ever seen. Beds are very comfy, rooms are laid out well, and hotel staff is excellent. These rooms accommodate the business traveler and leisure traveler well! Very modern and classy. Spacious parking outside and under building parking as well. There are too many good things to write here. I refuse to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed November 2012
YAY! Just what we strive for! Please come back again and again!