“Beyond My Expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Roanoke
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beyond My Expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband had a motorcycle accident of the Blue Ridge Parkway on August 15, 2012. He was riding alone from Minnesota to North Carolina. I received a call from the Roanoke Memorial Hospital telling me he had no life threating injuries. The hospital also recommended Cambria Suites. I am forever grateful for the recommendation.

When I called Cambria for a reservation, Mickey at the front desk was wonderful. She said the shuttle would pick me up at the airport, take me any place, and they were here to help me. The next day when I walked out ouf Roanoke Airport, Harry the shuttle driver greeted me by name. When he heard why I was in town, he took me to the hotel and said he would show me the safest way to walk to the hospital -- three blocks away. From this point on, I felt as if the Cambria Family was watching and helping me.

All the shuttle drivers -- Harry, Herbert, and Jim -- watched for me. They checked to see how my husband, John, was doing and did I need anything. Jim drove me and waited as I purchased clothes for John. Herbert took me to UPS to mail three large boxes of motorcycle gear. And as the 13-day stay ended, Harry drove me to the airport to get a rental car and waited so I could follow him back to the hotel! When John moved from the hospital to a rehab center, they drove me to Raliegh Court Rehab Center. Because they were watching for me, I would tell them if I would need a ride home that night.

The front desk staff also helped me and asked daily how John was doing. Mickey, Maria, Nikki, Tiffany, and Kim answered my questions, told me when the washing machine was free, and brightened my day.

The bar/resturant staff also exceeded my expectations. One night Tony saw me walk in and head to the elevator. He came over with a menu and rode up the elevator as I gave me my dinner request! Jill also watched for me as I came back from a long day and was ready to take my order. In the mornings, Pam greeted me and asked what I wanted for breakfast. She and Debra remembered what I ordered in my omlete when I couldn't! They became my family. Also the food was excellant with vegetables cooked just right. Also the fresh fruit was a real treat.

The king suite was perfect for my stay. The accomondations were great including a wonderful bed, bathroom and an area to work on my computer.

I can not say enough about the care I received from Cambria Suites staff. I am sure I forgot to thank someone. The last day everyone gave me hugs and sent me on my way. They helped me during a long visit. Thank you everyone. I will never forget my Cambria Angels.

Elaine, Minneapolis, MN

Room Tip: The room was very quiet. I never hear anyone around me.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
LynneLaidlaw, General Manager at Cambria Suites Roanoke, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding our staff! I printed your response and they were all so pleased! We wish we could keep in touch with our special guests and would love to know how your husband is progressing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is an above average hotel based on layout, amenities, rooms and other qualities, but has lost some rating points from me due to some bizarre staff interactions I had:

- We specifically indicated we needed non-feather pillows in the reservations. The room didn't have them when we arrived (no big deal), but the staff INSISTED they were foam. I had to pull out each pillow and show them the tag that listed them as goose feather. Really?

- The hunt for non-feather pillows seemed to involve a very deep and complex puzzle that would take hours to complete according to the person looking for them. And when they were finally located, she actually called our room to ask us to pick them up. Uh, no.

- As I approached the front desk staff to make sure everything was good for checkout, I was chided by a woman behind the desk who barked "Where were you? We've been waiting a while since we called!". I looked perplexed. "Are you the cabbie?". I was not the cabbie; talk about ready, fire, aim.

- Finally, why is it that the Quality Inns throughout the city costs 1/2 to 1/3 of this place offers breakfast and this place has none.

So great rooms, not so great service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered. We strive to exceed expectations and we fell short of meeting your. i am truly sorry!
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was looking for a nice hotel for an overnight to stay to break up a very long drive while taking my son to college. My husband and I had made the mistake (years earlier) of trying to find a roadside hotel along I-81 after many hours of driving and ended up in something very undesirable. I was determined not to make that mistake again!

My planning payed off! Cambria Suites is a few miles off of I-81, but well worth the few minutes drive. The hotel is new. The staff was friendly. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. I reserved a two bedroom suite for $129 and it was perfect for us. The beds were comfortable, the linens were great, the bathrooms were nice and the shower was one of the best I've had in a hotel. I used the fitness room before having breakfast and hitting the road the next morning and it was very nice. The hot breakfast buffet was not included int the price but it was very good and worth the $9.50.

A couple of things to note. They offer underground parking which was very convenient. While the bathrooms were very nice, the bath/shower was not separate from the sink/vanity or toilet. This would normally be a challenge for us had we been traveling with our entire family of five. There was, however, another sink just steps away from the bathroom in the kitchen area of the room. There was also a console and mirror with a plug just outside the bathroom door which made it possible for me to dry my hair and put on makeup while others were showering.

They offer Bath and Body Works amenities which was a nice surprise, and I am not exaggerating when I say their towels were thicker than the ones we had at The Four Seasons Hotel in Dallas just a few days later. Very impressive!

If there were any negatives, it would be that while our suite was designated a two bedroom, it did not offer the privacy of a true two bedroom. There was one bedroom off of the living area that had a bedroom door that closed. The other "bedroom" was also off the living space but had no door to close and was separated from the living space by a partial wall. Not a big deal for us under the circumstances, but it might have been had we been in a different situation. The living space was also quite dark, but, again, not an issue during our stay.

I liked it so much that I looked up all Cambria Suite hotels as soon as I got in car. I was disappointed to see they are not in most major cities. I hope that will change as I would definitely put them at the top of my list of places to stay again.

Room Tip: I would try to get a top floor room as I did hear footsteps above us as we were trying to go to slee...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and Cambria Suites. There are 2 new Cambrias under construction in New York City!
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We've stayed at this hotel twice while on the road. It's a slight detour off the main highway; however, it's well worth it! Our rooms have always been exceptionally clean and the beds are very comfortable. Parking is plentiful and we safely parking a rental truck here overnight.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments! We hope that you come back again and again!
Farragut, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Clean room, very comfortable bed, good nice sleep makes for a great family reunion visit in a nice mountain town. Breakfast at the hotel was alittle chaotic because they appeared to be short of help and their was to many at the tables and to few to serve. Kudos to the waitress for her being cordial with so much of a work load, service with a smile trying to do a job for three people. The breakfast was fair, buffet didn't have all the items in supply, but I'm glad what they had was still warm. We enjoyed watching the children in the large pool, needed some pool accessories around the pool so we could sit and watch. I liked the parking garage, we met a calico cat that wanted to be petted, I think the little one was a baseball fan since the diamond was across the street. I would definitely go back to this hotel when visiting the family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments - and the little Calico (Callie) was adopted by a a guest and now lives in the country!
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a moderately premium priced chain but aside from modernistic de'cor it's much like other chains. The lighting in the rooms is relatively dim. The food I bought at dinner wasn't warm and certainly wasn't tasty. I did like the quiet rooms. But I didn't like having to pay for breakfast when so many of this hotel's competitors provide it free. It's very convenient to Carilion Hospital but away from downtown by about 1.5 miles. I believe it caters to a clientele that has business with the hospital.

Room Tip: This hotel's rooms are probably better insulated than many so a good sleep is likely in most roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I am so sorry that you didn't agree with the majority of our guests. I am however pleased that you enjoyed a good night sleep.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night. Lovely room, clean, spacious, quiet and very modern. Our deal with Expedia included breakfast which was average to good, but the waitress was very helpful and personable without being overpowering.
One minor criticism, we neede to leave our IT in a safe while we were out but a) the deposit boxes are too small and b) no-one could open them!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
LynneLaidlaw, General Manager at Cambria Suites Roanoke, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your post. I will take this as a training opportunity to ensure that all staff know how to open the safety deposit boxes! It is sometimes the little things that matter most! Thank you again.

Been to Cambria Suites Roanoke? Share your experiences!