“Best Place to Stay in the Roanoke Area!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Roanoke
Manassas, Virginia
“Best Place to Stay in the Roanoke Area!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have traveled throughout all of North America based on my career choice, and I have to say our stay at Cambria Suites Roanoke rates top of the line across the board. We stayed at this hotel due to an accident that my brother was in while we were riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. This was day 2 of our group vacation (6 family members total-all couples), and I do not think that we could have been stuck in a better place. The staff was amazingly accommodating and, while there are really no attractions within walking distance, the hotel’s complimentary shuttle service more than made up for this by the friendly, almost immediate, service along with great recommendations! That said, we had a quiet location with anything else that this city has to offer at our finger tips! Not to mention the feeling of genuine concern from the hotel staff in regard to my brother who remained hospitalize for the remainder of our trip (6 days). Lynn, Marie, Jim, Harry and the rest of the staff at this hotel, our group offers you a GREAT big thank you for helping us to make the best out of our situation!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
LynneLaidlaw, General Manager at Cambria Suites Roanoke, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and sincerely hope that next year you take another trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains and CHOOSE to come and stay with us - instead of the unfortunate accident that brought you here this time. We all hope that your brother is continuing to heal and back to normal soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel with my CP points, when I booked my room it said a 2 king bedroom suite with a living room. Upon check in I came to my room and it was a one bedroom suite. I kindly go to the front desk where I believe Kim is her name was working and asked her about my room type and she flat out lied to me and told me the Internet can be deceiving. Are you kidding me? I'm not stupid, and I know how to read what type of room I booked. Needles to say I will be reporting this to Choice. The customer service here is HORRIBLE, even the assistant GM who came to our room for air conditioning issues was very rude. Although this is a very nice hotel they are seriously lacking in the customer service department. I personally will not waste my points at this property in the future!!

• Stayed August 2012
LynneLaidlaw, General Manager at Cambria Suites Roanoke, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I am so sorry about the problems that you encountered. Please contact me directly at Lynne.laidlaw@cambriasuitesroanoke.com at your earliest convenience
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a hotel along I-81 to break up a very long drive.

We chose this hotel because it had suites. With two small children, the extra space of a suite seemed like a great idea. Although we typically stay at hotels that are a step above the “Choice Hotels” line, the new appearance of this hotel, and the numerous rave TripAdvisor reviews enticed us into giving it a shot.

Upon arriving at the hotel, the property is in great condition, both on the exterior and interior. However, the hotel itself is adjacent to multiple active railroad tracks.

We arrived at the hotel around 8:00 PM, after being on the road for 12+ hours, with a confirmed reservation in hand. Upon approaching the front desk, I was shocked to learn that the hotel had overbooked, and that no rooms were available. There were multiple wedding parties staying at the hotel, and I suspect they gave our room to someone in one of those parties.

In any event, we were now 8 miles off the interstate, exhausted from a long day on the road. The hotel staff did not even give us the courtesy of a phone call, let alone apologize for the error! The woman at the front desk claimed that this was an “extremely rare” event, and that she were not even sure how this overbooking incident had happened.

We were told we could could stay at another hotel, several miles away, and that Cambria would pay for our room at that hotel…while charging us for the room at the Cambria hotel, and that the room at this other hotel was “much more expensive”.

The woman at Cambria Suites also assured me that she had already worked out the details, and that we would receive a suite at this other hotel, as we would have received at Cambria. Desperate to get off the road after such a long journey, we headed for the other hotel.

Upon arriving at the other hotel, I learned that Cambria had never requested that we be given a suite. In fact, the second hotel didn’t have any suites available. Thus, the Cambria staff lied about us getting a suite at the second hotel. When confronted about this via telephone upon my arrival at the second hotel, the woman at Cambria offered no excuse.

On top of this, I learned that this overbooking situation is a pretty common practice at Cambria. The hotel staff at the second facility told me they end up having to do this frequently for guests that are the victims of overbooking at Cambria Suites.

Furthermore, we also ended up getting a copy of the invoice for our stay at the replacement hotel. It appeared from the invoice that Cambria had an account at this hotel for such overbookings. So much for this being a "rare event"...

On top of that, although the typical room rates at the second hotel are higher…it turns out that Cambria got a discount for our stay. Net effect, Cambria charged us a higher rate to stay at its hotel…while spending less to put us up at this replacement hotel, and thus profiting from it's error...at our expense and inconvenience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am so very sorry! Although overbooking is very extremely rare here it occationally does happen. So Rare infact that the staff member who walked you to another property did not know the proper procedures. I do not have any of the information to research so if you would please contact me directly at 540-204-4970. You should certainly not have been charged by us and if you were, I will refund the charges. Please give me the opportuinty to set this straight by contacting me. Again please accept my apologies.
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed at this new hotel while visiting someone in the hospital and had a very pleasant stay. Room was very clean, with a comfortable bed, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, and very good wi-fi. Breakfast bar included several hot items and staff was attentive. No restaurants within walking distance other than the bistro at the hotel with a somewhat limited menu. Sandwiches and desserts are available at the sundry shop 24/7. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to reccommend our hotel! Please come see us again!
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Traveling from new york to houston. Stopped here with three kids. Pool, restaurant, bar...what more could you want? Two bedroom suite for pess than 200 bucks. New facility. No complaints here. Wish we could have stayed longer and spent more time in Roanoke, a nice town.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! Now that you know about our nice little town you should try to plan a longer trip and stay awhile!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Soft bed. Clean. Spacious. Two flat TVs. New. Long hours of restaurant (didn't try). Some garage parking. Fridge. No free breakfast. Paid $150 a night. I did late check in, early check out. Little bit out of the way. Close to hospital.

Room Tip: Away from elevators.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
So happy that you found the room comfortable! Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to Roanoke!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was on a road trip with my two teenage daughters heading from NY to NC and we stayed at Cambria Suites overnight in early July 2012. The rooms were great, clean and with a fridge, but they only had a King bed with a pull out couch. I wish they had had a room with two queens, because we had been hiking in the mountains all day and were exhausted. The girls slept on the pull out couch bed and it was just okay. But that said - the room was clean and very nice. We got in late and went to the restaurant/bar area which was busy. There was one server who seems a bit overwhelmed. The food was also, just okay, but we were starving so it didn't really matter. There was a strip mall shopping center a short drive away with other food options, but I was too tired to drive there. We wanted to take a dip in the pool and/or hot tub but again, it was VERY crowded, even at 9:30 pm. And there were two 20 something year old guys with tattoos hanging around the hot tub staring at my kids... so we left and went back to to room.

All said, the rooms are nice, clean and beds really comfortable. The hotel was crowded and the service at the restaurant slow. The food just blah. But we just stayed overnight, then left the next day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cambria Suites Roanoke? Share your experiences!