“Perfect B&B experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Lantern Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roanoke
Black Lantern Inn
Save Saved
You added Black Lantern Inn to your Saves list
1526 Franklin Road SW, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Roanoke B&B and Inns
Westwood, New Jersey
“Perfect B&B experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The Black Lantern Inn is beautiful and cozy with a lovely host in Ron. I wish I had stayed for more than one night--I need an excuse to go back and read a book in the warm and inviting front room or in a rocker on the front porch. Breakfast, too, was perfect--and the coffee was great! I highly recommend this Inn to anyone and everyone. It was truly a perfect experience. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The Venetian room has a huge bed!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My friend and I met up for the weekend in Roanoke. Boy, am I glad we came across the Black Lantern Inn. While it is located on a semi-busy street, it's not far from the downtown area, rests on the edge of the historic district, and is just a wonderfully restored place. No frou-frou Victorian B&B with cats here - it has a charming mixture of old and new, and the place couldn't be more immaculately kept. Plus, the food was tasty (especially given that I asked for gluten free!), and the owners were just too kind.

Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Sadly we were only passing through Roanoke one night, but we'd have definitely liked to stay at the Black Lantern longer. Not your typical flowery, girly B&B - décor is modern but comfortable. They have clearly put a lot of work and time and their own style into this place. SUPER COMFORTABLE BED AND SHEETS in the upstairs suite. Very clean. Location convenient for stop off of Blue Ridge Parkway, close to highway but we didn't hear a peep of traffic noise. 15min walk to downtown area. Breakfast is filling and tasty without being too unhealthy. We felt welcomed and comfortable and still had plenty of privacy. Would go back in a heartbeat next time we have occasion to be in Roanoke.

Trussville, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Black Lantern is a beautiful space with a wonderful host in Ron. I was running late coming into town and he still got up at 11 pm to show me around the space and make sure that I had everything I needed. He made us fantastic breakfasts and was a pleasure to chat with. The rooms are all beautiful and the decor is a great blend of traditional and modern. I would definitely stay there again!

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was staying at the Black Lantern with friends for a wedding weekend. Everything about the inn was perfect. Not only is it a beautiful house, but Ron really makes you feel cared for. I felt at home in the room and all of the common spaces. I had some of the best sleep I've ever gotten, and some of the best cookies and breakfast I've ever eaten! Black Lantern would be a place I'd send folks who were interested in opening their own B&B. They could learn from Ron!

Suffolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Black Lantern Inn is not your "ordinary" B & B. All the finishes, done by both of the Inn's owners, are top shelf finishes, the pride of the owners shines through in the overall way the inn is decorated and cared for - which is not your typical "Victorian" type B & B - its more like a world class hotel suite...All I can say is, "WOW"... It went from a house that was falling down almost, to a classy, beautiful, and extraordinarily clean B & B. The breakfasts that Ron ,the innkeeper, (Who lives onsite) prepared for us, were wonderful. THey were not so filling that we couldn't eat later on, but certainly filling enough, to get us through to late afternoon. And delicious, on top of that. Ron and I happened to have the same love of the same type of music, and he put on some of that music in the morning for me. LOVED it. We also enjoyed chatting with both Ron and Claire. They are two very interesting people. The bed (kingsized and cushy) was the most comfy bed we've ever slept in in a B & B... and we've stayed in many. The sheets were soft,, 600 thread count, just superb. Everything about our stay was fantastic, and we will definitely be regulars at The Black Lantern Inn, when we go back to Roanoke.

Room Tip: The Venetian Room is on the first floor, is absolutely beautiful and comfortable. If you need that f...
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I had planned to spend one night in Roanoke before heading south to Asheville, NC, as many other travelers do. Staying in this wonderful B&B reminds me of why this type of lodging is so much better than in a hotel. The beautiful house has been redone by Ron and Claire, the owners, with the utmost taste and quality. Immaculate, well-appointed, comfortable. Ron greeted us warmly, offered good tips for restaurants (Local Roots, excellent!), and helped us get settled. We were greeted with home-made chocolate chip cookies, beverages, and basically access to the whole house, including the front porch. Breakfast the next day was delicious and filling, and got us through the Blue Ridge Parkway without having to have lunch. Ron kindly did everything to accommodate my food allergy as well as to assure our utmost comfort. This is the way B&B's should be. Ron is proud of his inn and of his hospitality, as well he should be. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Lantern Inn? Share your experiences!