“Great space to get away!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Lantern Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roanoke
Black Lantern Inn
You added Black Lantern Inn to your Saves list
1526 Franklin Road SW, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Roanoke B&B and Inns
Trussville, Alabama, United States
“Great space to get away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Black Lantern is a beautiful space with a wonderful host in Ron. I was running late coming into town and he still got up at 11 pm to show me around the space and make sure that I had everything I needed. He made us fantastic breakfasts and was a pleasure to chat with. The rooms are all beautiful and the decor is a great blend of traditional and modern. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was staying at the Black Lantern with friends for a wedding weekend. Everything about the inn was perfect. Not only is it a beautiful house, but Ron really makes you feel cared for. I felt at home in the room and all of the common spaces. I had some of the best sleep I've ever gotten, and some of the best cookies and breakfast I've ever eaten! Black Lantern would be a place I'd send folks who were interested in opening their own B&B. They could learn from Ron!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Suffolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Black Lantern Inn is not your "ordinary" B & B. All the finishes, done by both of the Inn's owners, are top shelf finishes, the pride of the owners shines through in the overall way the inn is decorated and cared for - which is not your typical "Victorian" type B & B - its more like a world class hotel suite...All I can say is, "WOW"... It went from a house that was falling down almost, to a classy, beautiful, and extraordinarily clean B & B. The breakfasts that Ron ,the innkeeper, (Who lives onsite) prepared for us, were wonderful. THey were not so filling that we couldn't eat later on, but certainly filling enough, to get us through to late afternoon. And delicious, on top of that. Ron and I happened to have the same love of the same type of music, and he put on some of that music in the morning for me. LOVED it. We also enjoyed chatting with both Ron and Claire. They are two very interesting people. The bed (kingsized and cushy) was the most comfy bed we've ever slept in in a B & B... and we've stayed in many. The sheets were soft,, 600 thread count, just superb. Everything about our stay was fantastic, and we will definitely be regulars at The Black Lantern Inn, when we go back to Roanoke.

Room Tip: The Venetian Room is on the first floor, is absolutely beautiful and comfortable. If you need that f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I had planned to spend one night in Roanoke before heading south to Asheville, NC, as many other travelers do. Staying in this wonderful B&B reminds me of why this type of lodging is so much better than in a hotel. The beautiful house has been redone by Ron and Claire, the owners, with the utmost taste and quality. Immaculate, well-appointed, comfortable. Ron greeted us warmly, offered good tips for restaurants (Local Roots, excellent!), and helped us get settled. We were greeted with home-made chocolate chip cookies, beverages, and basically access to the whole house, including the front porch. Breakfast the next day was delicious and filling, and got us through the Blue Ridge Parkway without having to have lunch. Ron kindly did everything to accommodate my food allergy as well as to assure our utmost comfort. This is the way B&B's should be. Ron is proud of his inn and of his hospitality, as well he should be. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Beautiful B&B. I couldn't have asked for a more comfortable, cozy place to stay or a better host. From the moment you step foot through the door you know Ron not only put his heart into restoring the home, he'll also put 110% into ensuring your stay is as comfortable as can be. If we ever visit Roanoke again, we will definitely be staying at the Black Lantern Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Look no further. This is where you should stay next time you are in Roanoke. The Black Lantern Inn is a beautiful bed and breakfast tucked away in the center of Roanoke within walking distance to many local spots. This 100+ year old home has been restored to perfection. There is not single nail out of place, nor a single squeak from the floor. Ron, our friendly host, is a true master craftsman and it shows. The design is thoughtful - our room was spacious and the bed super comfortable. AND, this place is spotless. As is common, we shared a bathroom with the other tenant on our floor. The Inn provides complimentary soda and beer, wine and champagne can be purchased at a very reasonable price through the honor bar. We arrived to yummy homemade chocolate chip cookies. As it happens, Ron can cook a mean breakfast, too.

The Black Lantern Inn is a little slice of heaven and we will be back. Do stay here the next time you are in town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Black Lantern Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thanks Danielle and Michael for taking the time to write such a kind review. I just want to make a little correction for future guests. Each of the guest rooms has its own private bath, two en-suite and one located just outside the room. Your nice review has prompted me to label the bath door to avoid any further misunderstanding.
Sincerely, Ron
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

After two nights in a local hotel with a noisy A/C unit in the room I canceled my remaining nights and moved to the Black Lantern Inn. Booking via the web site was easy and the location was very good with neighborhood areas to walk, parks and restaurants all very convenient. Appreciated amenities included free parking, Internet, use of a kitchen/refrigerator and wine and beer available for purchase. Accommodations were clean and charming. Working from the back deck was relaxing. Ron was a terrific host and he makes a delicious fruit and yogurt parfait!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Black Lantern Inn? Share your experiences!