“"Wonderful" remains the best description” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Lantern Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roanoke
Black Lantern Inn
You added Black Lantern Inn to your Saves list
1526 Franklin Road SW, Roanoke, VA 24016   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Roanoke B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“"Wonderful" remains the best description”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Skyline Room at the top of the house was arranged for me during a 3-day stay while I was in Roanoke on business. It was ideal in every way. The room was extremely comfortable, spacious, and immaculate. A plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies was waiting just for me at the end of each day. An accessible fridge was stocked with drinks ranging from colas to champagne. And the breakfast was without doubt the best I have been served anywhere, in terms not only of what was served but also how it was cooked, as all of the other reviews can attest. For anyone who wants to spend a night or more in Roanoke, The Black Lantern Inn should be the first place to consider.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed in the Venetian room for two days last weekend and it was a remarkable and lovely experience. We made arrangements to come in late at night and Ron graciously accommodated our arrival. The room was immaculate and beautiful, with a canopied bed and lovely rugs. Ron used to be a contractor, and you can tell that all of the work on the house was done exactingly. Our breakfasts - soft scrambled eggs with basil, sausage or bacon, blueberry pancakes, crispy potato pancakes, a bowl of granola, fruit and yogurt with honey - were ample and delicious. We could not have asked for a better experience. We felt very well taken care of, and the room felt completely private, though tucked away on the first floor.

Room Tip: The Venetian has a beautiful, canopied king bed and a jacuzzi bath.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I didn't know exactly what to expect going into this adventure, but I was met with warm hospitality, excellent amenities, and delicious food. We were in the Tiger Eye room, which offered a wonderfully comfortable bed, access to the whole second floor kitchen area, and an adorable breakfast seating area where we were served omelettes, pancakes, hash browns, sausage, and the most delicious yogurt I've ever had in my life. I would definitely recommend this inn to all of my friends and if you get the chance, make the switch from a boring hotel to this pampered night of relaxation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Black Lantern Inn twice and can't recommend it highly enough. Our first experience was 2 or 3 years ago, and although I'm late writing this, we stayed there again this past October and the experience was just as good. We arrived on bicycles on a Sunday and found there were no restaurants open. Ron went WAY out of his way to accommodate us by picking up pizza, beer and wine for us. The next day he insisted we borrow his vehicle to drive to a bike shop (I left my cycling shoes at home). The breakfast was outstanding and plentiful. Our stay this past October was equally comfortable - we LOVE the Skyline Room on the 3rd floor - all rooms are beautifully decorated and the bedding is super comfortable. Ron and Claire allowed us to have friends come in for their wonderful breakfast, and they will all go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Glen Carbon, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

While on our honeymoon, my wife and I decided to visit my childhood hometown of Roanoke, VA. We made reservations to stay at the Hotel Roanoke, but wound up coming to town a night early. We looked for a bed and breakfast for the extra night, and chose the Black Lantern Inn. We certainly made the right decision! The house was beautiful, our room appointed with a canopy bed and an amazing private bath. We were greeted at the door by Ron, the Innkeeper, showed to our room, and given a tour of the Inn, which I remembered from my childhood as being boarded up and quite an eyesore. Ron made recommendations for our dinner plans, provided us with drinks, and some friendly conversation (like the oddity that I grew up in Roanoke and moved to Illinois, whereas Ron is from Illinois (Chicago, to be exact) and wound up in Roanoke! Breakfast the next morning was incredible from start to finish (the honey-and-granola-topped fruit and yogurt has become a favorite in our house!). An absolutely delightful stay in a surprising, hidden gem in the Star City!

Room Tip: From what we saw, any of the guest rooms would make for a wonderful visit!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Gate City, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We arrived a bit early and were warmly greeted by our host. He even offered to help us get our things from the car. This inn is finished to a very high standard. Every detail was just perfect. Our room on the main floor had its own bathroom complete with a tub with several hot water jets. Everything in the room worked as expected. There were several TV channels. The temperature was just right. Breakfast the next morning was on time delicious, and the portion size was generous. We have traveled extensively and this was one of the best B&B experiences we have had in a long, long time. We would highly recommend this place to all who visit Roanoke.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Allendale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Our first visit to the Black Lantern, Ron was there to greet the weary travelers at close to 11 pm and show us to the very comfortable, well appointed Venetian Room. Ron again accomodated us the next morning by serving us an early breakfast. Upon request, he provided us his recipe for the scrambled eggs which were so light and uniquely enhanced. The Black Lantern is very guest-centric - many small conveniences have been thoughtfully provided to ensure the stay is relaxing and fun. It doesn't get much better!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Lantern Inn? Share your experiences!