“Didn't want to leave - love this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Roanoke
Lynchburg, VA
“Didn't want to leave - love this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our 10 yr anniversary as a short little getaway from the kids. We got the King Whirlpool Suite and stayed two nights (friday & saturday) in August 2009. The first thing my husband said when we walked into our room was, "I think this is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in". I would have to agree. I haven't stayed in many high-end hotels, but have stayed at the Hilton - VA Beach and Springhill Suites - Williamsburg, VA. I would say that the room we had was just as good if not better than the Hilton. The room looked just as nice as the pictures on the website.

The bathroom was really nice. We loved the huge shower with 5 different shower heads. Great for a achy back! All of the bathroom fixtures were stainless steel and fancy-looking.

The in-room whirlpool was very nice and clean. I could honestly do without the mirrors all around it though - haha. We had a hard time operating the whirlpool at times. It would've been nice to have a little set of instructions somewhere. The first night, after we went to bed, it kept turning itself on, the screen said it was the drying cycle?? It didn't do it the second night though... so who knows. I could've called the front desk to ask how to work it, but I just didn't feel like it.

The big visio flat-screen tv on the wall is a nice touch! We could sit in the whirlpool and watch tv... but you'll have to turn the jets off to hear it or else blast the tv so loud the whole hotel can hear it. I didn't mind though because I was being forced to watch some show about which military weapon causes the most destruction. (not the hotel's fault, however!)

The bed had nice (sateen, maybe?) sheets and a real comforter like I would use on my own bed. There were 4 big pillows, 2 soft, and 2 firm.

The lobby was the nicest lobby I've seen. It smelled so good and clean too. It looks like a little resort lodge inside. Very homey and cozy. There was a small bookcase with books that can be borrowed during your stay and returned to the drop box. That was a neat idea.

When we checked in on Friday night, there were 2 very young girls at the desk. One of them was rather grouchy and might have ruined my stay if I had anything out of the ordinary to deal with her about... but luckily I just had a simple check in and I was done with her. The next day, our room keycards stopped working. The lady at the desk was VERY nice and attentive. She checked our cards and saw that the girl had not coded them for 2 nights. She sincerely apologized and fixed the problem in seconds... we were totally satisfied. The lady at the desk the next day was also just as nice and check out was the easiest, fastest checkout I've ever experienced.

The pool and hot tub looked very nice and clean. We were planning to use them but couldn't seem to pass up the private hot tub in our room (doesn't require me walking in front of everyone with my bathing suit on! yay!) I love that the pool hours are til 11pm for everyone and 12am for adults only. That was a great idea having an hour for just the adults.

The continental breakfast was excellent. I mean, hey, it's free and it had most everything you could want. Breakfast was from 7-11am - so we had time to sleep in and also get breakfast. We used the make-your-own-waffle thing both mornings and really enjoyed them. There were also cheese omelets, biscuits & gravy, danishes, english muffins, bagels, yogurt (dannon activa, and then some kid types of yogurt too), muffins (blueberry, banana nut, etc.) cereals (cheerios, froot loops, and some sort of bran flakes), several types of butters, jellies, syrup, cream cheese, hot chocolate, 2% milk, orange juice, apple juice, and coffee. We went one morning at 8am and it was busy but still had a couple of empty tables to sit at. We didn't have to fight people for food or anything. The next morning we went at 10:30am and it was hardly anyone in there... a great time to go. Everything was kept stocked. The staff in there was very pleasant.

My only complaint was that our room was on the first floor sort of close to the front desk. Other guests walking by late at night or early in the morning on the way to breakfast were sometimes pretty loud and woke us up. We're pretty used to this from having kids though and sleep rather lightly. I don't guess there is anything the hotel can do about this except tape everyone's mouths shut. That probably wouldn't go over so well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Extremely quiet room—never heard a door close, voice in the hall, or vehicle in the parking lot. A spacious entrance and a door that remained open when you pushed it back allowed us to pull our luggage into the room without fancy footwork. The only problem encountered was an out of date the television station list. After a quiet night of sleep, we found a well-stocked breakfast bar with two smiling and fast moving caterers. The hot waffles, hot coffee, and orange juice topped off our Country Inn experience and start a new day. The Country Inn is a blue ribbon inn on the Blue Ridge beltway.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed in this hotel over the 4th of July. Everything was fine except the dirty underwear and sweatpants left form previous customers that we found behind the curtains. It took a bit of prodding, but the front desk staff did finally agree to move us to a different room. Apparently they considered the matter closed and failed to have the General Manager contact me after the holiday as I requested. I filled out the e-mailed survey and received this e-mail back.

"We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel.

We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations.

I do apologize for not contacting you, however, your message was never referred to me. Since my front desk staff moved accommodated you
with another room, they perhaps thought they had taken care of this incident. They did do the right thing by moving you to another
room.

Once again we do apologize and the incident has been addressed with the appropriate 'housekeeper'.

Please have a good day. "

This is my second favorite Hotel chain and will continue to use them, but I don't think I'll be back to this particular one.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Lafayette, IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

My wife, I, and another couple stayed at this hotel the night before the NASCAR race in Martinsville. We reserved a room with two beds through the hotel's website weeks in advance. When we arrived at the hotel in the early evening we were given a room with one bed. The hotel was full so we could not get a different room. The two young girls working at the front desk were immature and careless. When we presented our reservation for two rooms, they simply said that they didn't have any.

They offered us a tiny single person cot - we asked for two since it was too small for two individuals. Even though the room was spacious enough, they refused to allow us to put two of the cots in our room because of the fire code. When we asked to speak to a manager, they said that he wasn't here. They did not offer to contact him. No discount on the price was offered to us, even though one of us had to sleep on the floor because of their overbooking.

The front desk workers were completely thoughtless: when I asked, "where should I sleep then?" she responded, "where you sleep is not my business." Of course, I thought that a place to sleep was the only business of a hotel!

The breakfast was unimpressive. Though it was a good selection, it was all cheap and processed.

We had previously enjoyed Country Inn & Suites, thinking that they were a step above Holiday Inn and such. However, the complete lack of customer service that we experienced here has made us rethink this.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
St Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

We ran into several problems. The bathroom had no toiletries (including hand soap). We called to the front desk three times and left a message once and still never received any! The front desk clerk was absent most of the time. The room was very clean but seriously, if you plan to stay here, please please please bring your own pillows. The pillows ruined the night- they became flat as soon as you laid your head on them...like a deflated tire. None of us slept much because of them and we woke up with stiff necks and headaches. The lack of sleep was also due to a crazy air conditioner that left the room very hot then very cold then very hot. There was no way to regulate the temp. Lastly, breakfast was bad. We were there 30-40 minutes in the breakfast area and most things that were out when we arrived remained out. Such as the omelettes. Sausage was frozen. It was just not a good experience.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Warminster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

It was recommended that we stay at this hotel by family members who lived in the area. Many of us were here as part of a wedding celebration. Everyone in our group enjoyed the hotel especially its breakfast, the large rooms, comfortable beds and nice pool. When visiting in the future, we would gladly stay here again.

• Liked — Good breakfast and pool facilities.
  • Disliked — Ongoing nearby road construction.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northern Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

Unlike most of the reviewers, our stay this past weekend at Country Inn & Suites was Awful. Because it was race weekend in Martinsville, I made our reservations in January - 10 months prior. We checked in, and each of us grabbed a cookie. They are not fresh baked anymore. They were stale store bought tasteless hard disks. After that introduction, we made our way to our room. The room was small. We had a room with 2 queen beds, NO fridge and NO microwave, even though the room we reserved was supposed to have them. We went back and asked for a room that had them, but being race weekend, there were none left. While at the desk, the desk people fielded quite a few calls asking why their rooms did not have a fridge or microwave.

The beds were definitely an issue. I never knew a bed could be hard and lumpy at the same time. The mattresses were so uncomfortable we could not sleep. Then there is what they called a "headboard" - thick metal rods trying to imitate a brass bed. You could not lean back against them to watch TV in bed. What genius thought that would be comfortable? The pillows were a joke - they were so used that they were flat as a pancake. I had to get clothes out of my suitcase to make a pillow.

The "closet" was a foot wide gap in the wall between the bathroom and the rest of the room. The bathroom, while clean, had seen better days. The toilet barely flushed, and the sink and counter were very beat up. The bathtub had perma stains in it. Towels were VERY thin, and you needed to use 2 to dry yourself.

Breakfast was OK, with the waffles a definite winner. The sausage gravy was cold, and as others mentioned, the omelet needed to be cooked. The juice selection was limited to some bad tasting orange juice and apple juice. No fresh fruit available.

When we checked out, I told the front desk about the issues. There were no managers there. The highschool help just said "Sorry". I will be writing Carlson regarding our stay.

• Liked — Waffles, leaving
  • Disliked — Everything else, especially the beds
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke? Share your experiences!