“Bed bugs and poor overnight service.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Roanoke
Worcester UK
“Bed bugs and poor overnight service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We checked in and were initially really pleased with our choice, it seemed like a lovely hotel and David the guy on reception, was really helpful. During the night I woke up and felt really itchy I'd been bitten by insects and couldnt get back to sleep, then I felt something move on my face.

I thought it might be a spider so went to brush it off but it was bug like. I dashed to the bathroom and turned the light on and what I held looked like a little bug. I'd never seen a bed bug in real life but I'd seen pictures. I threw it into the sink and squashed it, it was full of my blood!

I went back to the bedroom and turned the light on there were another 2 bugs easily findable in the sheets (also threw into the sink).

My bug hunting woke up my husband who then also was hunting, we found another 2 bugs then decided it was too horrible and after killing them in the sink we both took a shower feeling complely grossed out.

When we went downstairs the lady on the front desk was really rude. She said that they don't have problems like this and IF there were bugs they were probably brought in by foreign guests....

She said that their normal process was to fumigate the room and the two rooms either side and that she wouldn't be giving us a refund as we'd booked through Hotels.com so we had to take it up with them.

She finally seemed to notice my accent and asked where I was from. When I said I was British, instead of apologizing for her earlier remark she said we may have brought the bed bugs with us!!!!

Naturally I got quite upset with this and said I found her remark both inappropriate and offensive.

Both myself and my husband had bites all over our bodies (in the end I counted 32 bites) and I pointed out we were on our 3rd hotel of the trip and had had no problems at any of the other hotels.

She apologized but still offered no assistance.

As we said we didn't want to go back to a room that was infested with bugs did they have another room, she offered the room next door.

I refused that room as she'd already explained (via their fumigation process) that that was also likely to contain bugs. This elicited the response that she didn't want us to spread the bugs to other rooms.

She provided the worst most offensive customer service I have ever experienced in an American hotel chain.

As we couldn't get another room we ended up leaving the hotel in the very early hours and driving while tired.

I tend to react to insect bites so was lucky enough to have a small tube of bite cream. Once the Pharmacies were likely to be open we stopped off and bought extra supplies (allergy tablets more cream etc).

We also called the hotel and spoke to the general manager Lisa. She was very courteous and apologized for events that had happened and explained that an investigation was already underway and that the hotel had refunded our stay to Hotels.com (and what to do next).

She said to let her know if we had any problems with the refund and she'd do her best to help.

Later in the day she called back (as promised) and confirmed the room had indeed had bed bugs and it was being treated (as were others as a precaution).

Lisa was a credit to the hotel and I have every faith that she will retrain the overnight clerk so no one else has to face the sort of service we received.

All in all had it not been for the bedbugs and how we were treated by the overnight clerk this hotel would probably have been a 4 or 5 rating (those kind of bugs can happen anywhere).

I have no doubt that Lisa will ensure that the higher reviews continue to flow and that this will become a blip on their otherwise excellent record.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear NicolaWhit,

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn and Suites standards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
gatineau
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

we had a comfortable stay at the country inn of roanoke. the staff is very kind and helpful.the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. there is a nice pool and hot tub there too
the breakfast was very good.

i would stay there again with no hesitation.

Room Tip: ask for a suite,there is a couch,microwave and refrigerator
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I went up to see my nephew graduate from VMI in Lexington. We decided to stay here because it was on the other side of Roanoke from where we were coming and it is a lot cheaper than any other hotels from the Lexington area. I researched a lot of hotels and read a lot of reviews before I book anything. This hotel did not disappoint me. It had GREAT BEDS that slept very good. WONDERFULLY CLEAN. QUIET YET CLOSE TO I-81. It is only about 1 hour or so to Lexington. BREAKFAST WAS SUFFICIENT.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Perkasie, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We decided that the Roanoke area was a halfway point from Bucks County, PA to Charleston, SC. We chose the Country Inn & Suites because it had good reviews. We were not disappointed. The hotel was convenient to I-81, it was clean. The room was nice and the beds comfy. The bathroom was clean and the shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water. There were plenty of options for breakfast from fresh made waffles, to hot oatmeal, juice, cereal, fruit, yogurt, eggs, sausages and biscuits with gravy. We reserved online, while on the road. The whole process was smooth and easy. We make this trip every year and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the back. The room was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vantaa, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to Roanoke after travelling about 24 hours, it was nice to have a clean room with a good bed. The person who greeted us was friendly so I felt myself welcome. She had to answer phone quite often so the checkin too little longer. I was pretty tired after travelling all the way from northern Europe, so I was just happy to start sleeping. Because of the time difference we woke up quite early so it was nice to have breakfast start at 6am. Most of the time we were the only one eating there. The breakfast selecting was good for us, so we were ready to drive on. We even got some directions to Blue Ridge Parkway.

The only little strange thing was that during the checkin the lady talked about upgrade to a king suite, but the room she gave us was a standard room.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bound Brook, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have stayed here many times on our way back home. It is 1/2 mile from 81 and exit 146 just a little north of Roanoke Va. The parking is large. The hotel is clean and the rooms large a clean. One real plus is the pool. Our grand kids had a great time in this large warm pool. The breakfast is included and copious. The only negative is the noise from the AC and it is hard to regulate to a convenient temperature. The front desk people are friendly and have free cookies.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We travel frequently to see family in Pennsylvania, and this has become our regular stop over. The staff is friendly. The hotel is clean, and have been very accommodating. We have stayed several times over the past 2 years and have never had a problem. Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke? Share your experiences!