“Not worth the money overnight” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 37 hotels in Roanoke
Texas
“Not worth the money overnight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Staying at CI&S was based on tripadvisor review and ranking but this location’s bedding quality fell under averaged CI&S we have been to. However, the library setting furniture with cathedral ceiling lobby plus 24-hours soothing and relaxing mood music does make you feel cozy.
We should have been able to explore more options if not exhausted from hiking at Shenandoah National Park and chased out by stormy weather at Blue Ridge Parkway. Salem, the close by town, has more affordable lodging places for overnight stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

It was about 8:00 p.m. on a Monday evening, after a long day of driving since morning. I was traveling with my "senior-aged" mother. We were nearing the end of our trip, so she had been very weary and was getting a little crabby. When we pulled into the parking lot, she said, "Oh, we should stay here." I said, "Yes, Mom. This IS our hotel." She was stunned and so delighted with this hotel it was amazing.
The hotel hostess was wonderfully friendly and helpful. She signed me up as a Club Carlson Member - Note: I told her I wasn't interested, but she was so informative that I said yes and she immediately had the card all ready for me.
I told her I was traveling with my 85 year-old mother and asked if I could have the room for $85. She happily agreed.
My mother was tired and we were both hungry. We needed something close and inexpensive, but wanted good food. Our hotel hostess had a list of restaurants with directions - then she recommended one that wasnearby, and just what we were hoping for.
There were cookies and mints at the counter, and coffee or tea for the weary traveler - right there, beyond the front desk. The lobby was beautiful.
Our hostess gave me the details about breakfast, the pool, hot tub, and exercise room on the second floor. She even gave me perfect instructions on where to park for the easiest access to a ramp that was near our room.
The room was clean, smelled good, and the beds were great. Wi-fi was easy to access, but the room was a little sparse regarding outlets for my computer and mobile phone. The ventilation system was a definite plus. My mother likes it warmer (because she gets cold easily), but that usually means it is stuffy and humid in most hotel rooms (and unbearable for me). But our room had a system that circulated the air well, and made it so comfortable for both of us that I would choose this hotel every time because of it. Well-stocked bathroom, TV, microwave, coffee maker, ice bucket, and fridge. Great water pressure in the shower. The shower curtains are changed every time, too. The attention to detail was very good.
The design of the window treatments was well thought out. Easy to close the curtains without making the room look trashy.
We had a late breakfast and there was a nice mix of hot and cold items - eggs, bacon, Danish, yogurt and fruit, oatmeal, cold cereal, little bagels and cream cheese, a waffle maker for fresh waffles, englsh muffins, herbal teas, coffee & decaf, juices - and the attendant in the breakfast room was also warm and friendly. She never rushed us, and joked playfully with us.
The beds were very comfortable, and we were well rested for the last leg of our trip. Thank you, Country Inn & Suites, for your attention to detail, your well-trained staff, the duvet on each bed, the well circulating air. Overall, a great experience.

Room Tip: Join Club Carlson.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Marietta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Spent one night here on our last night of vacation. Hadn't booked ahead as our plans were changing. Couldn't find a room at several other locations in the Roanoke/Salem area, and ended up getting the last room at Country Inn. It wasn't a standard room, and had to pay more for the night since it had an in-room jacuzzi tub. Never had a jacuzzi in the room, so what the hell, decided to try it. Jacuzzi was made for two. Got lucky. Nuff said.

Rooms were very clean, quiet, and well proportioned. Friendly staff. Free breakfast was better than most.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites Roanoke after a long day of travel on the roads. It is conveniently located right off of 81. At first, I was going to stay at the Hampton Inn right next door, but they were fully booked and suggested that I go over to the Country Inn.
It was 11pm on a Friday night when I checked in. The front desk clerk, Pamela, offered me a king suite at a discounted rate. The lobby was pretty and made you feel at home, but it reeked of swimming pool chemicals. Also, upon arrival, guests are welcome to enjoy freshly baked cookies, which can be found at the front desk...very good.
The king suite was nice. It had a king bed and a sleeper sofa. The bed was not very comfortable and the pillows were so flat, I shouldn't have even used one. The room was spacious and included a mini fridge, mircowave, and coffee maker. The bathroom was fully stocked with toilet paper, tissues, shampoo, soap, etc. The only complaint I have about the bathroom is that I had no hot water for my shower. Although, the bed wasn't comfortable and there was no hot water, both the room and bathroom were very clean.
The hotel offers a free hot breakfast everyday of the week, starting at 6 or 7am. There was a wide variety of food to choose from. They had waffles, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, potatoes, cereal, juice, etc. I really enjoyed the breakfast. The breakfast staff was friendly and kept restocking items.
This Country Inn and Suites had a pool and hot tub (did not use), exercise room (also did not use), and free WiFi (very nice). The hotel also had several meeting rooms.
I enjoyed my stay at this property. It was a good value, and my needs were accomodated. I would recommend staying here.

Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stopped here overnight when driving home to the northeast from Georgia. Very clean nice hotel with free cookies and a good indoor pool for the kids to play in after a long ride in the car. Huge hotel room--we could have fit a lot more people in it. We would definitely stay here again when we were passing through. We read the reviews on this website and picked this hotel and got a great price.

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

This was our first experience with the Country Inn brand and we were not impressed. Luckily we stayed at another later in our trip, which was much better.
The place was tired and in need of renovation. The vanity top was splitting apart, the mirrors were losing their glaze around the edges, and the bathroom fan would not shut off. The suburban freeway interchange location was also next door to a noisy factory. There was a good Mexican restaurant nearby.
I make one complaint I have of most hotels—they waste prodigious amounts of energy on air conditioning and provide only heavy winter duvets. One can get a far better sleep in a quiet room, shutting off the noisy window AC unit when retiring, and sleeping with a light blanket, rather than under a heavy duvet with the rattling racket of the window AC.
This business is not unique in chilling the lobby and room to a painful level. I cannot believe it is healthy to continuously go back and forth from bone-chilling cold to steamy hot summer. AC is nice in moderation, but quite uncomfortable when wearing summer clothes and it’s only 62 degrees. At home in Canada I use the furnace to keep the house at 72 degrees. It appears to me that millions of people flee cold, northern states to live in the sun belt, only to keep their buildings cold as the subarctic. Why?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
central New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We had a great experience at this hotel. I was able to get a two room suite for a discounted price. Even if it had been the full $134.99, it would have been a much better deal than the Marriott where we stayed in Bristol. Great customer service from Robin at the front desk; large clean rooms; lots of pillows; nice refrigerator; microwave; televisions in both rooms (one room had pull-out sofa; other 2 queens); nice size swimming pool and whirlpool, and a great breakfast: bacon, eggs, potatoes, waffles, fruit salad, and much more. Clean, clean, clean. Beds were firm, but I found them comfortable. We stayed on Monday night. All five of us were very pleased!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke? Share your experiences!